• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

I was swimming today in the Atlantic and the water was warm. In all the years I have been swimming in this location it has never been warm before. Quite the opposite usually. As pleasant as it was today it is unfortunately another worrying sign.

I was swimming today in the Atlantic and the water was warm. In all the years I have been swimming in this location it has never been warm before. Quite the opposite usually. As pleasant as it was today it is unfortunately another worrying sign.
Old age?

Boris Johnson making speeches bragging about the UK killing off coal power whilst the country lurches into an energy crisis would have been amusing if it weren't so retarded.

Boris Johnson making speeches bragging about the UK killing off coal power whilst the country lurches into an energy crisis would have been amusing if it weren't so retarded.
He's a ridiculous man who says lots of stupid things, but even he knows coal is a terrible idea.

Last edited:
It is, but it's a far better idea than relying on wind which evidently has a habit of just stopping.
Oh that one again.

Stay on topic. The energy prices in the UK are high partially because of brexit. Renewables are cheap and you don't have to import them. Do you think that might help the current problem?

Last edited:
Oh that one again.

Stay on topic. The energy prices in the UK are high because of brexit. Renewables are cheap and you don't have to import them. Do you think that might help the current problem?
I absolutely think we should be using renewables, but we should only be using the ones that produce energy 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.

More importantly, nuclear is the clear and obvious answer to everyone's energy requirements and doesn't just stop for the summer.

I absolutely think we should be using renewables, but we should only be using the ones that produce energy 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.

More importantly, nuclear is the clear and obvious answer to everyone's energy requirements and doesn't just stop for the summer.
Nuclear has a place but the costs for new nuclear are prohibitive and other solutions will make it very niche within a decade if not sooner. As prices plummet, spare capacity can be built in to mitigate the missing 10% problem, as I've heard it called.

I think geothermal might a late comer to this space. It is old tech and only worked in some spots on the planet. But that might change due to the skills they have developed with gas fracking. And the best spots to do it might be beside old coal power stations. Win win win.

Last edited:
The wind isn't as strong this year though - https://fortune.com/2021/09/16/the-...-never-imaging-it-would-one-day-stop-blowing/

Need more wind farms plus more diversified renewable sources
That is true. The grid balance in the UK is out of whack at the moment and gas storage has been cut to way too small levels (a big mistake) to buffer the impact. So the UK energy market is wide open to the vagaries of the EU energy market at the moment as a 3rd country. EU countries have better rates I believe and more gas storage capacities. Everyone is feeling the pinch though.

Last edited:
That is true. The grid balance in the UK is out of whack at the moment and gas storage has been cut to way too small levels (a big mistake) to buffer the impact. So the UK energy market is wide open to the vagaries of the EU energy market at the moment as a 3rd country. EU countries have better rates I believe and more gas storage capacities. Everyone is feeling the pinch though.

Wind is way down on what it usually generates, gas prices are sky high and the UK suppliers have a price cap for what they can charge the consumer and Brexit meant the UK left SDAC (or is it SDAD, SCAD - canna recall) so there is no more sharing of surplus energy between the EU countries to the UK. The UK can ask for more, but welcome to uber high prices to get it.

I think geothermal might a late comer to this space. It is old tech and only worked in some spots on the planet. But that might change due to the skills they have developed with gas fracking. And the best spots to do it might be beside old cold power stations. Win win win.
10% of the total generation missing is probably accurate, although that's not how electricity generation works.

Wind power is around 25% of the generated electricity in the UK, so it's 25% that needs to be covered when the wind isn't blowing. As that proportion increases, more needs to be covered when it's not available.

Back