• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Clement Lenglet

OK so far, I think he can do more but keeping it safe. Different from Davies... Less drawn to the ball but better positioning, we also look less nervy on the left now when pressed.

OK so far, I think he can do more but keeping it safe. Different from Davies... Less drawn to the ball but better positioning, we also look less nervy on the left now when pressed.

Think he's been rather impressive defensively. Good combo of aggression and dropping off a bit.

Good on the ball, bit better than Davies in some ways. Perhaps not fully into the system yet, but don't think he's that much more effective than Davies on the ball so far.

One thing I noticed was that his body position is very much right-facing. He doesn't really move the ball from Dier on to the LWB fluidly...(If that makes sense) It's quite frustrating as, more often than not, he keeps passing the ball back in field into Dier or PEH rather than on to Perisic (even when free).
Davies on the other hand is more better at quickly moving his body to a left facing position so that he transition the ball quicker from right to left side... Don't know if that makes sense... but it's just an observation...

One thing I noticed was that his body position is very much right-facing. He doesn't really move the ball from Dier on to the LWB fluidly...(If that makes sense) It's quite frustrating as, more often than not, he keeps passing the ball back in field into Dier or PEH rather than on to Perisic (even when free).
Davies on the other hand is more better at quickly moving his body to a left facing position so that he transition the ball quicker from right to left side... Don't know if that makes sense... but it's just an observation...
Interesting, I shall watch out for that. Body shape, body position, awareness, first touch direction, are all vital to getting that pass away within 2 seconds.

Why?
Not sure he would be
I don’t know how good he is in the air
But so far I’ve been impressed

He’s quiet, and I don’t think he’s particularly strong.

Dier rules that area like a colossus, controlling all around him through sheer force of will. We’d fold like a cheap suit without him.

Interesting. I too think Davies has been more effective on the ball, but was thinking more about Lenglet getting used to the system rather than specifically and technically. Seems strange as he obviously has real quality on the ball.

One to watch for sure.

He's looked pretty solid to me so far and seems to have good touch but not looked that closely. Still think we need to spend big on another CB regardless but he's good enough to start for us.

He's looked pretty solid to me so far and seems to have good touch but not looked that closely. Still think we need to spend big on another CB regardless but he's good enough to start for us.
Agree with this, think it’s a very sensible stop gap loan, but ultimately we need a Romero equivalent (ability wise) on the left.

He’s quiet, and I don’t think he’s particularly strong.

Dier rules that area like a colossus, controlling all around him through sheer force of will. We’d fold like a cheap suit without him.

Any decent CB playing in Dier's role today would look good. Its very deep and he has lots of close cover around him.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised when we get a proper ball playing CB with good passing and mobility.

Not sure about Lenglet's heading ability but he is solid and has made us look more confident playing from/across the back so far.

Simple things like holding on to the ball a fraction of a second longer before passing it on to commit the onrushing player... Lenglet does that more than Davies who tends to want to get rid of the ball quickly but telegraphs his intent to the player closing in, making it easier to press our defence.

Any decent CB playing in Dier's role today would look good. Its very deep and he has lots of close cover around him.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised when we get a proper ball playing CB with good passing and mobility.

Not sure about Lenglet's heading ability but he is solid and has made us look more confident playing from/across the back so far.

Simple things like holding on to the ball a fraction of a second longer before passing it on to commit the onrushing player... Lenglet does that more than Davies who tends to want to get rid of the ball quickly but telegraphs his intent to the player closing in, making it easier to press our defence.

I think that's harsh both on Dier and Davies.

The central role is a different role to the wide CB roles and being in a back four. But I don't think it's easier as such, just need different qualities. Dier has more of those qualities that make him a very good fit for that role.

I think that's harsh both on Dier and Davies.

The central role is a different role to the wide CB roles and being in a back four. But I don't think it's easier as such, just need different qualities. Dier has more of those qualities that make him a very good fit for that role.
Historically the centre CB of a three has been the one who has needed less sheer defensive quality. It's why many times midfielders have come to the role and shone or players who had struggled in a back 4. I also think Dier is helped by the role, it does suit his strengths to a good extent and masks his weaknesses very well. He's a good fit and we don't need to be in a rush to change personnel in his role but better players for the role do exist.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Historically the centre CB of a three has been the one who has needed less sheer defensive quality. It's why many times midfielders have come to the role and shone or players who had struggled in a back 4. I also think Dier is helped by the role, it does suit his strengths to a good extent and masks his weaknesses very well. He's a good fit and we don't need to be in a rush to change personnel in his role but better players for the role do exist.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

True, Beckenbauer, Gullit, might be someone else too.

You're really under rating Dier. He brings leadership and organisation to the role that goes beyond just his individual contribution.
He's the one that's always talking and giving instructions.

You're really under rating Dier. He brings leadership and organisation to the role that goes beyond just his individual contribution.
He's the one that's always talking and giving instructions.
I like Dier, but to be fair just because a player is pointing and shouting doesn’t mean they are showing good leadership - they could be talking a load of nonsense for all we know:D….

Back