• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Clement Lenglet

And now it seems we are back in for Lenglet, my heart sinks.
Really think you're being over dramatic on this one. He might not be perfect defensively, but he is good on the ball and has shown he can create coming forward from the left side with the ball.

With a front foot footballing manager he is only going to look better as we have more possession rather than defending deep in our own box most of the time, and for 6m Euros is a no brainer as a squad player at the very least....

To be fair to Lenglet it was his first season. And he did seem to improve as he settled.

Still some questions about his awareness and defensive nouse, but he seemed far better once settled. Going forward he’s fantastic, and that fits with Postecoglou. How fast is Lenglet? Can’t really remember his pace being tested in our low block setup. But in the high line we’ll have next season it’s more important.

Last edited:
My guess is that if we want Lenglet then we’d probably be able to pick him up later in the window on a free transfer or maybe even on loan again with Barca picking up a portion of his wages again.

I would fudging love us to start acting like cheeky barstewards and do a Villarreal Lo Celso deal with them.

"Oh yeah we really love the player we just don't want to pay any money for him.."

I'm on the fence with Lenglet, CB is looking very shaky and it's slightly off topic but I could see Romero being an ideal DM for Poste a la John Stones which would leave an even bigger gap.

I am trying to be hopeful / positive about next season but seeing a combination of Dier / Sanchez / Romero/ possibly Lenglet would test my resolve in that regard.

I would fudging love us to start acting like cheeky barstewards and do a Villarreal Lo Celso deal with them.

"Oh yeah we really love the player we just don't want to pay any money for him.."

I'm on the fence with Lenglet, CB is looking very shaky and it's slightly off topic but I could see Romero being an ideal DM for Poste a la John Stones which would leave an even bigger gap.

I am trying to be hopeful / positive about next season but seeing a combination of Dier / Sanchez / Romero/ possibly Lenglet would test my resolve in that regard.

If we sign Lenglet for €6m or less its as a squad player. Someone superior would then arrive I would hope to partner Romero.

Then all bar one of Dier, Sanchez, Tanganga and Rodon will leave.

Said it elsewhere but I'm not sure its a co-incidence the number of CBs we're being linked with and we might well be signing 2+ CBs this summer

Lenglet for the rumoured €5m as a back-up CB as one of those is an absolute bargain

He'll also look twice the player which he did last season in a team which holds the ball, rather than a team which is playing on the counter so inviting pressure on

If we sign Lenglet for €6m or less its as a squad player. Someone superior would then arrive I would hope to partner Romero.

Then all bar one of Dier, Sanchez, Tanganga and Rodon will leave.

Yeh if that was the case I would make peace with it as an idea.

But I agree I think we will look at another if he does, and I think 2 or 3 likely to leave. Sanchez and Tanga will def go IMO

Said it elsewhere but I'm not sure its a co-incidence the number of CBs we're being linked with and we might well be signing 2+ CBs this summer

Lenglet for the rumoured €5m as a back-up CB as one of those is an absolute bargain

He'll also look twice the player which he did last season in a team which holds the ball, rather than a team which is playing on the counter so inviting pressure on

Or half the player because his snail pace will be so exposed in a higher line

We obviously had a poor season defensively last year, but I would say that Davies and Lenglet were least at fault over the season.

We know Lenglets weakness, irs exactly that, weakness versus physical players. Positionally he's ok. Is comfortable in tight/pressure situations, doesn't panic and mentally stable. His big plus is his touch and passing. This will match up better if we have more possession and require accurate distribution from the back.

We may have others in mind BUT Barca will 100% not be wanting him around, so a cheap deal or re-loan is possible. The stumbling block ( much like us with Sanchez) is wages, he's on a very high wage with Barca, at a level we won't want to match.
So unless he is motivated for more game time (which btw is not guaranteed even with us) he'll be reluctant to give up his Barca wage.
Maybe that's why the fee is low, to be able to offer him tempting wages. Personally I think they'd happily let him go for nothing to get the wages off their books (and we probably know that).
Alternatively we just say 'how about we just repeat the loan' which actually might be better for us.
If we give him decent wages because of a low (or no) fee, he could potentially end up another money drain if (as likely) he's given a 4 year deal.

We obviously had a poor season defensively last year, but I would say that Davies and Lenglet were least at fault over the season.

We know Lenglets weakness, irs exactly that, weakness versus physical players. Positionally he's ok. Is comfortable in tight/pressure situations, doesn't panic and mentally stable. His big plus is his touch and passing. This will match up better if we have more possession and require accurate distribution from the back.

We may have others in mind BUT Barca will 100% not be wanting him around, so a cheap deal or re-loan is possible. The stumbling block ( much like us with Sanchez) is wages, he's on a very high wage with Barca, at a level we won't want to match.
So unless he is motivated for more game time (which btw is not guaranteed even with us) he'll be reluctant to give up his Barca wage.
Maybe that's why the fee is low, to be able to offer him tempting wages. Personally I think they'd happily let him go for nothing to get the wages off their books (and we probably know that).
Alternatively we just say 'how about we just repeat the loan' which actually might be better for us.
If we give him decent wages because of a low (or no) fee, he could potentially end up another money drain if (as likely) he's given a 4 year deal.
It’s all about them wanting his wages off his books

one positive is he can step into midfield in a way ange likes

he does lack pace

but is he any slower than most centre backs?

we play a high line with a mobile sweeper keeper and he may be ok for the games he is needed

It’s all about them wanting his wages off his books

one positive is he can step into midfield in a way ange likes

he does lack pace

but is he any slower than most centre backs?

we play a high line with a mobile sweeper keeper and he may be ok for the games he is needed
Agree. People have to realise it's a squad game and Lenglet is perfectly capable of completing minutes across the season. If he comes on for a LCB Im not nervous about it like I am Sanchez on the other side.
I don't reckon he's any slower than Romero, Davies Toby Jan or Dier...Dier is quite quick in a straight line just takes and age to turn into the position to run in that straight line.

Lenglet still has 3 years left on his contract... Barca will be praying to offload

Agree. People have to realise it's a squad game and Lenglet is perfectly capable of completing minutes across the season. If he comes on for a LCB Im not nervous about it like I am Sanchez on the other side.
I don't reckon he's any slower than Romero, Davies Toby Jan or Dier...Dier is quite quick in a straight line just takes and age to turn into the position to run in that straight line.

Lenglet still has 3 years left on his contract... Barca will be praying to offload
Dier has one pace
It’s bro quick and he can’t seem to accelerate IMO which is why he always gets done on the turn
But great positioning is more important than pace
My worry though is that whoever plays with Romero will need to be good in the air as he is a weak link there

Dier has one pace
It’s bro quick and he can’t seem to accelerate IMO which is why he always gets done on the turn
But great positioning is more important than pace
My worry though is that whoever plays with Romero will need to be good in the air as he is a weak link there
Yes the Romero thing is a worry...not just the heading but the going wandering in a Poste side.

I like his raids forward and hunting down missions BUT that might have to be curbed in the Poste system.

Outside of 3 CHs, in a 2 it might be a simple case of needing an amazing partner.

Yes the Romero thing is a worry...not just the heading but the going wandering in a Poste side.

I like his raids forward and hunting down missions BUT that might have to be curbed in the Poste system.

Outside of 3 CHs, in a 2 it might be a simple case of needing an amazing partner.
I think Romero can’t judge the flight of a ball
His on the ground work is brilliant
But he is huge risk in the air
It’s why Ndicka made sense to me as he is good in the air and can cover that side
And then add in the roaming as you say…
But I’d rather win 5-3 than 2-0

Yes, certainly agree with that. Most of the CBs which we've been linked with have been a similar size/physicality as him too

Plus Raya is only 6 foot 1

Yes, certainly agree with that. Most of the CBs which we've been linked with have been a similar size/physicality as him too

Plus Raya is only 6 foot 1
Reya is as good as Hugo in the air and judged it well. Edersom is only an inch taller

bigger keepers tend to struggle with longer shots (courtois was horrendous form distance for a long time)

the CB is the worry though

If he was under 21 he would be worth signing but at his age and wages for a sub, I dont think it's a good deal, as many have said we need someone who starts in most games and can defend at set pieces.

27 he’s in his prime. £5-6m seems a bargain for a player with high technical ability. We’ll work something out with his wages, if we sign him. Performance bonuses, Bara paying some, a drop in wages post Barca subsidy etc

Back