• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Citizens Advice Bureau - advice needed

Alright peeps.

Need some advice please if anyone has been in a similar situation.

I have started a business up with my brother and we bought our merchandise for said business from China, thinking it would be cheaper than buying from the UK. Very naive.

So, the shipment was supposed to be delivered around end of December and the Chinese company gave us the details of the freight company that would contact us here in the UK when they arrived. However we searched this UK company and saw bad reviews online about how the charges were ridiculous amounts and they don’t explain what they are for. So we kept in contact with the Chinese company to see if we could pick the goods up from the port direct.

Fast forward to Friday just gone and the Chinese company email me to say that the goods came into port on 28th December. So I called the UK freight company and asked if they had our goods (they did) and then why they didn’t contact us. We had no email no call (other than a call in December asking for an email address) or any letter in the post.

They said we owed them £900 for tax and fees but also storage costs from 8th December at £156 a day! Total bill coming in was £2400 of which £1250 was for storage costs. They apparently give 5 days grace from when they pick the goods up so that we can take them off them, then they charge storage. So from 3rd January they had these goods but didn’t tell us and then charged us from 8th for storage.

Can anyone advise what my rights are and if we have to pay these costs to release the goods then could we take them to a small claims court tribunal to get our money back?

I’ve already written to a manager explaining the situation and that no one contacted us to tell us the goods were in their warehouse so they can’t possibly charge us but I’m worried they’ll just say whatever and keep our goods until we pay them. I have said that they should be giving us 5 days grace from 12th January 2018 which is the first time we knew that they had our goods. I mentioned that we had to contact them too so if we hadn’t when would they have contacted us?!

Sorry for the long rant but any advice needed as I’m calling them first thing tomorrow to see what they have said to my email from Friday at 6pm.

Should I call the citizens advice bureau tomorrow morning?

Couple of things to note:

-Chinese company gave us the wrong ship name so I was always searching the location of the wrong ship so could never possibly find out when it would arrive.

- freight company’s initial invoice for the taxes that they sent me Friday 12th January 2018 was dated 19th December 2017

Cheers
GGG

Last edited:
Ok guys cheers but if I don’t have any of my own lawyers how do I go about this tomorrow? If, as expected they force my hand by saying if I don’t pay the costs then they keep them there at an extra cost do I:

A) pay them and then see lawyers
B) tell them to fudge off keep the goods and I’m seeing my lawyers
C) another option?

Ok guys cheers but if I don’t have any of my own lawyers how do I go about this tomorrow? If, as expected they force my hand by saying if I don’t pay the costs then they keep them there at an extra cost do I:

C) another option?

I would write to (email) them tomorrow telling them that they cannot charge you for storage when they had not notified you that they were holding the goods and that you are speaking to your lawyer. That buys you some time to find a lawyer and there is always the chance that they will fold.

C) another option?
I never threaten with lawyers, that's what people who don't mean it do.

Make sure the first thing they see is a letter from your lawyer - it shows you mean it.

If you go to any local solicitor, they'll give a free consultation (or minimal cost). They'll at least tell you if you have a case and a likely projected timescale/cost.

Cheers for the advice guys. I prepped myself and went to citizens advice bureau and they reported the company to the Trading standards as they said to me that the company had breached the contract.

So, I called them this morning and spoke to someone senior and had this in the back of my mind, and if it sounded like it wasn’t going my way I was going to say “I’ve already instructed my solicitors….”

Didn’t need to though, the guy sort of backed down after I mentioned they had all my contact details and an invoice dated 19th December that I received on 12th January. He emailed me 30 mins later with a revised invoice. It still is way over what we expected but that’s nothing we can really do anything about as it is their services and charges rate along with the taxes and import duties.

GGG

As a new biz you’d probably qualify for some pro bono (free) legal help. Go for a big name city law firm - their letter head has weight in itself. Call up and ask for the person in charge of legal aid, email them your story as above, and that you’re being held to ransom.

In addition ask for the manger at shipping firm and work out a compromise on the storage costs - get them to waive them - be nice but explain u will be publicising widely on linked in etc, contacting MP, lawyer etc. if they hold u to ransom.

In the future have a contract with the shipping firm yourself. PM me if you want names of solid ones. Paying VAT upfront for ex EU imports is normal unless you have a special account with HMRC.

You’ll survive and learn fast! Congrats on the new venture.

Edit: ok your getting it sorted already [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Do query their service charges and ask for a reduction as a start up. Is there any contract (agreement) in place with you and the shipping firm? It sounds like there was only with the distributor and shipping firm?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Back