• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Lovely goal, you could just tell that he was going to score, had the same feeling as when I saw Berba line that free-kick up at Upton Park.

Only player worth mentioning at times, great lad and unbelievable tekkers!

tumblr_n2eq2jKta91qaorn7o1_400.gif

This guy is our one shining light creatively. He needs to be in and around the box way more. Get him away from the wonky and behind ade or to the side of him in a 4-3-3. He deserves it. I think next season he will really kick on.

Well it was nice while it lasted...

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/f...tottenham-stunning-free-kick-v-benfica-video/
It was another bad night for Tottenham on Thursday night as they lost 3-1 to Benfica in the home leg of the Europa League tie.

Summer signing Christian Eriksen did all he could to try and inspire his side, pulling a goal back for Spurs with a beautiful free kick.

The Danish midfielder perfectly combined power with finesse to beat the helpless Benfica goalkeeper.

This fan footage perfectly captured the moment and the celebrations that followed, albeit short-lived.
[video=youtube;OOr-Gf5-qt0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOr-Gf5-qt0[/video]

with the quality of phone recordings these days how long before they start suing us all for videoing goals?

I like that the Lamela thread has almost 2 and a half times the number of posts as this one despite him barely playing and Eriksen being our best player this season.

True, but then 90% of the posts in that thread are people debating whether or no he is really injured and if he will ever play for Spurs again.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/15/christian-eriksen-tottenham-hotspur-spurs-arsenal

Christian Eriksen proving the perfect playmaker for Tottenham Hotspur

Another week, another fraught selection of noises off at Tottenham Hotspur: Spurs may be on course for a creditable fifth place in the Premier League but this season will surely take its place as one of the more relentlessly tortured episodes of par-score achievement in recent Premier League history. If there is something almost endearingly overblown about the scale of dissatisfaction – capped this week by apocalyptic statements of censure from Tim Sherwood towards his squad – then there was at least a reassuring consistency about the return of Christian Eriksen in the Europa League defeat at home to Benfica on Thursday night.

A symbol of soft-pedalled optimism in a frantic season, Eriksen produced another persuasive performance of sideways-shunted creativity from his position on the left of midfield. Spurs host Arsenal in the Premier League on Sunday afternoon with their season now apparently in the balance and a manager in a state of potentially terminal funk. If there is a note of positivity it is surely here. Never mind the bluster. Where there is Eriksen there is – quietly, methodically – hope.

Not that the club's shrewdest signing of that rapacious summer spree is the type to shout his own merits too loudly. Eight months on from a relatively low-key summer move from Ajax – a rare note of clarity in the great jangling symphony by numbers that was Tottenham's post-Gareth Bale transfer window – Eriksen still seems pleasantly surprised that he is able to travel on the tube or go to the cinema in London without being recognised. But then Eriksen, the most understated of high-grade attacking midfielders, has always tended to operate by stealth, a gloriously talented 22-year-old who in his midweek post-training kit looks less like one of Europe's select band of tyro millionaire sportsmen and more like a trainee quantity surveyor just back from a lunchtime game of squash. It is a misleading air of nonchalance. After a season muddied by injury and managerial change Eriksen will make his Premier League return in the north London derby an increasingly settled and even – whisper it – quietly effective, creative influence.

"I'm not a player to defend or run around, I want the ball," he says of his distinctive light-touch style, speaking at Tottenham's beautifully high-spec, new-era complex in Enfield. But this is also a little misleading, as Eriksen is above all a team player, whose worth this season is perhaps best measured Moneyball-style by its bare statistical returns. Since Christmas Spurs have lost three times – to Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project and now Benfica – when Eriksen has had at least half an hour on the pitch. In that period he has scored five goals and provided three assists in 11 matches. In the past three months he has more goals and assists combined than Mesut Özil, David Silva, Juan Mata and Eden Hazard. Against this a total of 19 players moved into or out of the Premier League last summer for more than Eriksen's cut-price £11.5m fee, which looks an increasingly convincing candidate for bargain of the summer.

It has been a sure-footed early spring rise to not-quite-prominence, so much so that when Eriksen chides his team-mates, mildly, for the muted nature of last weekend's 4-0 defeat at Chelsea it is with a degree of gathering authority. "It is always hard when the referee is against you. Then Chelsea scored goals from personal mistakes, so it's easy for them of course and it makes it more difficult for us to come back. I think you still have in your head that you lost 6-0 or whatever [against Emirates Marketing Project], so you want to keep it as short as possible and maybe that's why you play more for the 2-0 and not the 6-0."

Spurs' tendency to collapse against teams above them in the league has cast a pall over preparations for a season-ending spell that includes matches against Arsenal and Liverpool as well as the return leg against Benfica. "You can't get in the top four if you can't beat the clubs who are in the top four," Eriksen says. "I don't know how big the gap is. It's bigger than we would have hoped but we know we're not that far. But we need to start winning against the top four before we can start to be compared equally."

Victory against Arsenal would be an excellent place to start. "I've only played it once [the north London derby] but I could still feel how it is with the fans and everything around the club, so yeah, we know it's going to be a really nice game to play," Eriksen says, before going off-message in his praise for the local rival with whom he was linked at Ajax after glowing reviews from Dennis Bergkamp. "Anyone who loves football will like the way [Arsenal] have played the last few years and the players they have there," he continues, acknowledging the injured Özil as a personal influence.

"You can learn from anyone who plays your position. But when I was at Ajax I used to look at how he played for Real. I've not watched him much at Arsenal because I'm trying to find my own game here. When you look at him he is natural. He knows the people's runs around him. He knows how to run and pass the ball."

These qualities mark out Eriksen too, although there is a familiar tension in his game with the more explosive demands of big-league football. He is in many ways a fascinating player all round: a beautifully balanced two-footed playmaker who is at the same time not particularly athletic, not particularly quick, not particularly strong, not blessed with disorienting charisma or given to outlandish moments of extraordinary skill. He is instead, assiduously effective, notable above all for his peripheral vision and awareness of space, the ability to play not just the pass before a goal but the pass before the pass that makes a goal, qualities that do not so much leap out as emerge, once again, by stealth.

"It's just the type I am. I always want the ball," Eriksen says, although he has been increasingly effective of late shunted to the left in the rigid stylings of Sherwood-era Spurs. "Now we play more 4-4-2 it's a bit different to what I'm used to. But it's still, like, I can run and ask for the ball, you just have to keep your mind on that. It's free but at the same time it's English. I feel all right. I have no problems with it."

It is a studied assessment from a player whose career has been a story of calculated advance. Eriksen was a prodigy during his early years at Odense, spending time as a teenager at Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Milan and Chelsea, whom he came close to joining aged 15. "I had my mind on the Dutch league," he says. "It was much better for my development and it was where I wanted to be, so I think there was no better place than Ajax."

It was a happy move, bringing Eriksen three Eredivisie titles, 42 caps to date for Denmark and the endorsement of Johan Cruyff, who compared him to both Laudrup brothers – a form of Danish footballing canonisation – during his breakthrough season in 2010-11.

It also brought him into contact with Frank de Boer, who built the creative core of his title-winning team around the teenage Eriksen's playmaking craft. "I was with him at Ajax from the under-19 level," Eriksen says. "He gave me the responsibility to play my own game, to get involved, to get the ball and just to play, to show my talent."

De Boer has, of course, been linked with a move to Tottenham, a subject on which Eriksen remains wryly opaque: "I only had good years with Frank de Boer. I don't have anything bad to say about him."

Under De Boer Eriksen initially dropped an age group at Ajax before moving up to the first team, and tenacious adaptation has been a feature of his career. It is a process that seems likely to survive Spurs' season of flux. "I have just arrived. I have not set my mind on leaving," Eriksen says, before admitting, with just the right note of teasing deftness, that he would like to play in the Champions League in the near future. "Maybe we will get it, maybe not. But I am probably still here next season, yes."

I looking forward to reading that thanks for posting. I agree with the posts above: he is one player who has looked the business. It was almost like he was an after thought, not one of the main targets last summer. But thank f**k we signed him.

What I wanted to ask was, how much do you think confidence plays a part in his success so far at Spurs?

When a player feels he's the real deal. Knows he's good and has performed at the highest level, it gives him confidence to go out on the pitch and perform. Playing for Spurs does not hold as much pressure when you've played full internationals at 18 and performed at the World Cup (youngest player at the tournament). Not to mention been a key player for the top club in the land playing and impressing in the CL.

When you've done all that at 22, it must be easier to pull on the shirt and perform without a solid team foundation and steady coach. Whilst there's a case that Soldado, Ade, Lloris possibly Vertonghen and a few others have played elite football, Eriksen has done so at a younger age. We need a steady manager, who can give the rest of the team structure and confidence to play. Ability breeds confidence, but a good manager can help start the cycle of doing well and gaining more confidence (through observation, training techniques, psychology and attention to detail).

Wrong thread but Sherwood is unknown still, maybe he can do that. He is observant. He's tried some psychology. Confidence and structure of the team is lacking at the moment. If we don't start to see a more settled confident team I'd like to see De Boer. It is totally unfair on Sherwood as there are games every 3 days, injuries....in short expecting miracles mid season during the run in is unfair. But unless there is a sign of increased confidence in their ability and a more stable playing shape, Sherwood will be replaced, possibly with De Boer.

Last edited:
Need to keep a bit of perspective here I think.

Eriksen was pretty hugely over-rated by many (not just Spurs fans) in the first half of the season, mostly off the back of that great assist against whoever it was (Norwich?) at WHL early doors. After that though, he was poor, anonymous or not playing for long stretches.

His recent purple patch has been terrific, but it's only really the last 3 or 4 games. He hasn't been like that all season.

(I don't mean this as criticism of Eriksen BTW - he's young, it's his first season and the team has been a shambles. He's done really well on his own terms and his season can certainly be deemed a success. But excessive praise beyond that is unnecessary.)

Need to keep a bit of perspective here I think.

Eriksen was pretty hugely over-rated by many (not just Spurs fans) in the first half of the season, mostly off the back of that great assist against whoever it was (Norwich?) at WHL early doors. After that though, he was poor, anonymous or not playing for long stretches.

His recent purple patch has been terrific, but it's only really the last 3 or 4 games. He hasn't been like that all season.

(I don't mean this as criticism of Eriksen BTW - he's young, it's his first season and the team has been a shambles. He's done really well on his own terms and his season can certainly be deemed a success. But excessive praise beyond that is unnecessary.)

I remember his neat one touch pass that helped us score against Chelsea back in September. In that game and others he's been the only effective creative midfield player. Eriksen and Ade are the only two who have done anything creatively so stand out. But he's had classy, game changing, moments almost from the first game for me.

I looking forward to reading that thanks for posting. I agree with the posts above: he is one player who has looked the business. It was almost like he was an after thought, not one of the main targets last summer. But thank f**k we signed him.

What I wanted to ask was, how much do you think confidence plays a part in his success so far at Spurs?

When a player feels he's the real deal. Knows he's good and has performed at the highest level, it gives him confidence to go out on the pitch and perform. Playing for Spurs does not hold as much pressure when you've played full internationals at 18 and performed at the World Cup (youngest player at the tournament). Not to mention been a key player for the top club in the land playing and impressing in the CL.

When you've done all that at 22, it must be easier to pull on the shirt and perform without a solid team foundation and steady coach. Whilst there's a case that Soldado, Ade, Lloris possibly Vertonghen and a few others have played elite football, Eriksen has done so at a younger age. We need a steady manager, who can give the rest of the team structure and confidence to play. Ability breeds confidence, but a good manager can help start the cycle of doing well and gaining more confidence (through observation, training techniques, psychology and attention to detail).

Wrong thread but Sherwood is unknown still, maybe he can do that. He is observant. He's tried some psychology. Confidence and structure of the team is lacking at the moment. If we don't start to see a more settled confident team I'd like to see De Boer. It is totally unfair on Sherwood as there are games every 3 days, injuries....in short expecting miracles mid season during the run in is unfair. But unless there is a sign of increased confidence in their ability and a more stable playing shape, Sherwood will be replaced, possibly with De Boer.

I don't think having games every 3 days is any kind of excuse. If we want to compete in Europe and domestic cups that will be par for the course.

He also benefitted from some long gaps of more than a week after no da cup in Jan and feb. They were pretty much our only week long gaps all season. Though yes he didn't get a pre season.

I don't think having games every 3 days is any kind of excuse. If we want to compete in Europe and domestic cups that will be par for the course.

He also benefitted from some long gaps of more than a week after no da cup in Jan and feb. They were pretty much our only week long gaps all season. Though yes he didn't get a pre season.

We could take this to the other thread. Scara you could have a button that does that :)

Ultimately, yes. He will be judged on his half a season.

It is tricky when your remit is to win every game, while picking up a misfiring team. How are Sherwood's results in comparison to Rodgers' last season for example? But I think a more experienced manager, for example someone like HR with his own back room staff ready, with well drilled ways of working, might have achieved both results and made a greater improvement to individuals play and the team. But we'll never know, an experienced head might have had similar or worse results/ performances.

Last edited:
Well I'm watching Mata, Rooney, RVP and Janusazj chugging about and doing the square root of frig all right now, 50 minutes into a game and they've done nothing between the 4 of them, so we need to remember who we are comparing Eriksen to.

He may not be THE BEST but he is right up there. I think we get a distorted view of things because we only see highlights of some games, so we think Oscar is brilliant but if you went on a Cheatski forum they might be ****ging him for only doing it in "some" games.

Back