• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

In fact, let's just clarify what gg thinks of all our players;

[...]

Now I'm not denying that I've probably said a few of these but you'd think our squad was terrible judging by the posts on here. We have some really good players but as soon as they have a below-par game, out comes the nonsense.

How many active or somewhat active posters on this board? Hundreds?

Seems rather likely that at least someone will rate almost any player lower than you and as people are generally hyperbolic and emotional when criticizing players it's not very surprising that you can find some comments that are too negative about just about anyone. And like you said you've contributed a few yourself.

To claim or think that this is "what gg thinks" seems rather silly, particularly when you partake yourself.

That's called being realistic...

Spot on.

Ajax pretty much know their place, made much easier by being the biggest fish in the Dutch pond I'm sure.

I'd still give Bale a cheer if he turned up at WHL. He was caught between his loyalty to Spurs and Madrid telling him his dream move may only come once. What the guy did for us in his time here isn't something we should forget.

Wow. Page 34 of the Eriksen thread. People moaning he is too small and weak, not realising he is our Silva/Mata/Nasri. Jeez people, if Silva came here you would moan he wasn't hard in the tackle.

As for Africanspurs saying he literally hates Paulinho?! Hate is a very big word, and Paulinho had some very good moments against Saudi Sportswashing Machine... crazy days. Page 34 of the Eriksen thread.

hate is a strong word clearly. I guess you can take it literally especially when i say that i "literally" am starting to hate the guy:lol: but the truth is that it isnt literal. i hate violent rapists with a passion for instance...i think the chair is necessary for those guys..or castration. I dont hate paulinho

i really do not like his performances these days and i really dont like the effort he puts in. thats just two out of a whole myriad of stuff recently. the thing is that i am not a talent snub......if the effort was there then i wouldnt even care nearly as much about the deficiencies

Stolen from SC, looks at Tim's choice to stick Eriksen on the bench recently and makes a very good point.

This has been a predominant theme in the match thread, but I really feel this needs to be separated and discussed on its own.

Christian Eriksen has been, outside of Adebayor, the most productive attacking footballer at our club in the past two months. He scored vital goals against West Brom, United, and Palace that saw us win points in those massive games. Since January, he also sent two picture perfect crosses for Adebayor's vital goals against United and Swansea (the first goals in both of those games where we looked poor up until those points).

Eriksen has a unique role in this team. He is the best free kick and set-piece taker we have and has the ability to cross with accuracy and shoot with both feet from outside the box. We don't have any other players who can do all of those things.

With all of that in mind, Eriksen was left out of the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game after a subpar performance against Everton (where almost everyone was dire). I wasn't happy, but assumed it was a one time thing and that if we were to go for the win at Dnipro, he'd surely start. Yet there we were last Thursday, with numerous regulars like Paulinho in the lineup and Eriksen on the bench. Why would we take Eriksen all the way to Ukraine and stick him on the bench? It's the type of move we saw AVB do with Soldado earlier in the season. It made no sense to me.

Most thought at the time that because Eriksen was on the bench versus Dnipro, he was being saved to start today. Yet, there he was, firmly rooted to the bench for the entirety of 90 minutes. Sherwood could've played him for the out of form Lennon, or subbed him on the injured Capoue, or opted for him instead of Townsend, but he didn't. There is no indication that Eriksen was injured. He was, afterall, named as a substitute.

So, why then, did one of our most important playmaking, productive players not see the pitch in a vital clash against a team we had to beat (and who he had played very well against in his home debut)? Why did he not start against Dnipro, if he wasn't going to start today? With Walker injured, who did Sherwood think would take free kicks today? At one point, Naughton took a corner kick late in the game when we were pressuring them. That is beyond inexcusable.

I can take losing and even finishing 7th in the league, but not when we unilaterally disarm ourselves by leaving some of our best players sitting on the bench.

This was the type of managerial error that can have huge repercussions down the road, long after Sherwood is relieved of his duties. Losing out on 4th place to Liverpool will be devastating to our growth as a club. They will invest heavily to consolidate their position, while we'll be forced to fend of suitors for our top players (Lloris & Vertonghen) in a World Cup year with little time to find adequate replacements, as we likely won't conclude deals selling our top stars until August (as has been the case with Berbatov, Modric, Bale, VdV, etc).

Once it hit 60mins today I kept thinking that we needed to bring on Eriksen constantly looking at the bench to see if he was being readied and then left surprised when Soldado came on.

Back in December I knew we had some serious issues to resolve but with this, the thrashings, Lamela, poor start to games, poor passing, Soldado etc etc it looks as if the over all problem could be worse than we first thought.

I'd still give Bale a cheer if he turned up at WHL. He was caught between his loyalty to Spurs and Madrid telling him his dream move may only come once. What the guy did for us in his time here isn't something we should forget.

Didn't do much really, a few goals that's it. No trophy win, wasn't really established until midway through our CL season.

Stolen from SC, looks at Tim's choice to stick Eriksen on the bench recently and makes a very good point.

Once it hit 60mins today I kept thinking that we needed to bring on Eriksen constantly looking at the bench to see if he was being readied and then left surprised when Soldado came on.

Back in December I knew we had some serious issues to resolve but with this, the thrashings, Lamela, poor start to games, poor passing, Soldado etc etc it looks as if the over all problem could be worse than we first thought.

The Soldado move made a lot of sense and also helped us create chances.

With two subs left waiting with one sub until the final 10-12 minutes made sense to me. Between Eriksen and Townsend no doubt, like you I would have gone for Eriksen I think, but going to 3 at the back and try to pin Norwich back and play Townsend as a wingback made some sense at least.

Eriksen has been very inconsistent lately and he seems a bit short on the defensive work even on his good days, I'm guessing he'll be back in the starting line-up soon enough.

The Soldado move made a lot of sense and also helped us create chances.

With two subs left waiting with one sub until the final 10-12 minutes made sense to me. Between Eriksen and Townsend no doubt, like you I would have gone for Eriksen I think, but going to 3 at the back and try to pin Norwich back and play Townsend as a wingback made some sense at least.

Eriksen has been very inconsistent lately and he seems a bit short on the defensive work even on his good days, I'm guessing he'll be back in the starting line-up soon enough.

Thing is, most people would have said Norwich was going to try and make it tight, make it a 1-0 type of game all day long.

Eriksen really should have started ... I agree Soldado sub made sense, not sure about Townsend, if I had to bet on one of Townsend/Eriksen creating something for Ade/Soldado, I would have chosen Eriksen ..

Why Eriksen didn't start against Norwich is beyond me. He completely bossed it in the home game, would've been excellent to have on this time too.

Christian Eriksen’s fall from grace at Tottenham mystifies coach who says he ticks all boxes - Football - Sport - London Evening Standard
...Eriksen has not started any of Spurs’ last three matches, with Tim Sherwood’s decision to leave him out of the 1-0 defeat at Norwich on Sunday particularly surprising, as Eriksen should have been one of the freshest players in the squad.

The £11.5million summer signing from Ajax was a regular in the starting XI at the beginning of Sherwood’s reign but, ahead of Spurs’ Europa League match against Dnipro tomorrow night, Olsen admits he had expected Eriksen to have kept his spot.

“Was it a surprise to see him left out? Yes, very much,” Olsen told Standard Sport. “But I accept what my colleague chooses and I don’t know what happens in training.

“Nevertheless, when Christian has played he has shown he is a player who can make the difference. He is a creative player and he can play in different positions and Tottenham have used him in different roles.

“If he doesn’t have a very good day he can always perform for the team because he works very hard, and that’s very important when you play 40 or 50 games in a season. I’ve seen most of his games for Tottenham and I think he has done very well.

“Everyone who comes to the Premier League has to adapt to the different pace of the game. He has had a great technical and tactical education, but the next stop after that is to play in one of the top leagues in Europe. The name of the game in England is speed.

“He has shown from the beginning, though, that he is the kind of player who can do well in England.”

Eriksen arrived in the Premier League with a strong reputation and, although he has delivered only intermittently in his first season here, Olsen insists the 22-year-old has reached only a fraction of his potential.

...“If I look at Sneijder and Van der Vaart, I don’t think they were at the same stage as Christian is now when they were 22.

“He won the domestic title with Ajax three times, he played in the 2010 World Cup, he played in Euro 2012, and he has 42 caps for the national team. At a young age, he has a lot of experience.

“Can he become one of the best players in England? He has the possibility. He has a tactical eye and he is a good technical player, but he also has a fantastic mentality. In Euro 2012, he didn’t perform as well as he wanted to but he was always running like crazy for the team.

“He is an offensive, creative player but with his running ability and speed, he can be useful in a number of different positions, and he is certainly happy at Tottenham.

“When he was choosing where to move, I told him that Tottenham was a very good club. Traditionally, they have always played technical football, so it was a good move for them and a good move for him.”

Agreed, anyone got his goals and assists count for the season so far?? He really should be the player we build around

He ain't superman, but he's probably the closest we have, and he's young and will only get better.
GHod alone knows why he didn't play against Norwich, but it was probably a reminder for him that workrate matters in this league, so we may see long term benefits. Cross fingers for a fantastic March from the Erickson/Ade combo.....

He's a star. TS would do worse than build our play around him and another - in case Eriksen is marked out the game. Eriksen and Dembele playing off each other and linking up with the forward should be the master plan. Eriksen with quick feet, Dembele able to carry the ball and pull defenders around creating space for the Dane to do damage. He's the only midfield player who can really connect with attack.

The mini break he had may have done him some good too. We need Eriksen and Ade more than anyone else at the moment.

He should be playing all the time. I would like to see him playing centrally actually with Sandro when both are fully fit and in tune with the pace of the game. Could be the metronome ala Modric although it would be slightly deeper than he was used to playing at Ajax. I think he has all the attributes to end up being a very good central midfielder who recycles the ball almost as well as Modric but has a better scoring output.

There are two types of people in this world.

People who think that Christian Eriksen is by far our best player, and that we should build our team around him and play him for 90 minutes each week unless injured, tired or a big game is coming up a few days away.

And complete ****ing macarons.

AVB stopped picking him after the West Ham game. One of the many reasons I wanted him fired. Sherwood didn't bring him on against Norwich despite the rest of the team looking ****. One of the reasons I've stopped beating the Sherwood drum after a promising start. It really disappoints me how professional managers on such high salaries can't spot the most basic of basics that the rest of us can see...

There are two types of people in this world.

People who think that Christian Eriksen is by far our best player, and that we should build our team around him and play him for 90 minutes each week unless injured, tired or a big game is coming up a few days away.

And complete ****ing macarons.

AVB stopped picking him after the West Ham game. One of the many reasons I wanted him fired. Sherwood didn't bring him on against Norwich despite the rest of the team looking ****. One of the reasons I've stopped beating the Sherwood drum after a promising start. It really disappoints me how professional managers on such high salaries can't spot the most basic of basics that the rest of us can see...

The rest may have done Erikson some good. He's 21 or just 22.

Look at Suarez and Ade. Seasoned pros, I think they've both benefited from coming into the first team fresh later in the season.

Back