• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

It's no good saying Liverpool have been spending loads but have the odd big sell too, that's exactly why they can spend loads. They have a bigger wage bill than us and probably average £30-50m net spend a season which given their revenue is higher than ours and the level of TV money seems to be sustainable to me. We would easily do the same if we weren't dropping £1b on a new stadium.

Net spend is always a tricky measure as it doesn’t allow for anything like wage increases for example for new signings

Yeah it's not perfect, of course.

--------

For what it's worth here's gross spend on transfer fees i.e. this is fees spent on incoming transfers, without taking into account fees received for outgoing transfers. (The Emirates Marketing Project link is currently broken on the website).

upload_2019-1-2_12-25-0.png

This reflects Raziel's point that Liverpool have actually spent quite a lot of money over the last 5-10 years - the same as United in fact - they've just been able to partly fund it from some big outgoing transfers (Coutinho & Suarez) and/or have just had a lot of player churn in general.

Yeah it's not perfect, of course.

--------

For what it's worth here's gross spend on transfer fees i.e. this is fees spent on incoming transfers, without taking into account fees received for outgoing transfers. (The Emirates Marketing Project link is currently broken on the website).

View attachment 5654

This reflects Raziel's point that Liverpool have actually spent quite a lot of money over the last 5-10 years - the same as United in fact - they've just been able to partly fund it from some big outgoing transfers (Coutinho & Suarez) and/or have just had a lot of turnover in general.

But they are only spending that because of the big sales, similar to when we sold Bale and bought a load of players. Looked like we spent a lot but really it was just the incomings.

Yes they did as they had an influx of cash from the sale of Coutinho which they reinvested.

Not entirely true - you could say the Coutinho money covered Van Dijk, Oxlade and Salah last season. If you look at the table on the previous page, their net spend over the last 2 seasons has been about £115m - more than Spurs and Arsenal combined. (Though less than each of City, Utd and Chelsea)

Anyway, whatever definitions and time periods you use, I think everyone can probably agree that Liverpool spend more than us and less than City, Utd and Chelsea... right?

Net spend is always a tricky measure as it doesn’t allow for anything like wage increases for example for new signings
Indeed...

Over the past 5 seasons we’ve spent around £524million on wages whilst Liverpool have paid their squad £857m over the same period.

So (combined with their net transfer activity figures which elltrev posted) that means Liverpool have splashed out over a £1billion on their players just since 2013, which is roughly double our net expenditure.

4DFDACBA-52DD-4812-991E-473EDFCC72A6.jpeg

It's no good saying Liverpool have been spending loads but have the odd big sell too, that's exactly why they can spend loads. They have a bigger wage bill than us and probably average £30-50m net spend a season which given their revenue is higher than ours and the level of TV money seems to be sustainable to me. We would easily do the same if we weren't dropping £1b on a new stadium.
Yup, hopefully NWHL proves to be the game changer we’ve been waiting for that allows Pochettino to assemble a squad which smashes the glass ceiling and sees Spurs winning silverware on a regular basis again.

upload_2019-1-2_13-18-34.jpeg

Yup, hopefully NWHL proves to be the game changer we’ve been waiting for that allows Pochettino to assemble a squad which smashes the glass ceiling and sees Spurs winning silverware on a regular basis again.

View attachment 5656

NWHL will bring in another £50M or more im sure

Plus we will finally know our cost base for the ground. I still say we won’t spend until we know what the ground cost as it’s all a risk

That is a terrible video of the goal, but yes it was a brilliant goal.
Eriksen "gave me the eyes" too... when he dragged it left and then it was moving right, it totally fooled me... just like those defenders. Brilliance from the great man.

While my heart wants him to stay my head and my gut tells me we will have to sell him in the summer, because I doubt he will sign a new contract now

We'll have to see I guess. I'm not giving up hope just yet.

I can totally see Eriksen's viewpoint right now (assuming it isn't just down to money). He's hitting his prime, one of the best playmakers in the world but still with no trophies at Spurs and potentially with a few more years where we're not particularly spending much to help with the stadium costs. Levy isn't exactly the easiest negotiator for other clubs so imagine if he signed a long term contract and Barca came in and said 'we want you now!'. Eriksen says yes please and Levy says ok then, cough up £200 mil and you'll have him.

I don't think he's actively seeking a move away right now, which is reassuring. I think he's waiting to see a few things:

-What happens with Poch
-Whether we'll be in the CL next season
-Any trophies won this season
-Whether there is concrete interest from the likes of Real, Barca etc, clubs that are very difficult to turn down if you know you'll be going in as a first team player.

If there is concrete interest, I think we'll have to sell. If Poch goes, I think he'll seriously consider his options. Otherwise, I think there is a good chance he'll stay. He's settled here, part of a great team and we're doing generally good things. And if he did sign a new contract, he'd likely be earning between 150-200k. Maybe less than at the elite clubs but still a hefty amount.

The only thing that concerns me is that if he doesn't sign until the summer, he'll be one of the world's best playmakers with 1 season left on his contract. I wonder then if other clubs (Juve, PSG, Bayern, even City etc) wouldn't be able to pass up the opportunity to try to sign such an amazing player for a relatively reasonable fee. And if he won't sign, we will have to sell him in the summer I think unfortunately.

I just hope he does sign. He would be so so difficult to replace.

Last edited:
He is obviously holding out to see his value in the market, His realistic options if we want £100 - £150mil are Man Utd - Emirates Marketing Project - Chelsea - PSG - Barca - Real Madrid

Man Utd - Need to spend on defenders and a midfielder, and i cant see Eriksen being a big enough name for them
Emirates Marketing Project - Could see them being interested as a replacement for David Silva
Chelsea - Would only move if they lost Hazard, but in that case im not sure they would spend that much on eriksen and he doesn fit in with Sarri's style
PSG - They would buy him but not sure they can with FFP
Barca - Too similar to Coutinho for the spend
Real Madrid - Probably be seen as too similar to Ascensio, Isco to justify the case, plus Hazard would be preferred option

Added in, De Ligt, De Jong, Hazard, Icardi all moving for 70mil+ plus possible Bale available as well and as much as im nervous i dont see a natural escape for him.

My guess is that he's waiting to see if Hazard goes to RM

He is obviously holding out to see his value in the market, His realistic options if we want £100 - £150mil are Man Utd - Emirates Marketing Project - Chelsea - PSG - Barca - Real Madrid

Man Utd - Need to spend on defenders and a midfielder, and i cant see Eriksen being a big enough name for them
Emirates Marketing Project - Could see them being interested as a replacement for David Silva
Chelsea - Would only move if they lost Hazard, but in that case im not sure they would spend that much on eriksen and he doesn fit in with Sarri's style
Real Madrid - Probably be seen as too similar to Ascensio, Isco to justify the case, plus Hazard would be preferred option

Added in, De Ligt, De Jong, Hazard, Icardi all moving for 70mil+ plus possible Bale available as well and as much as im nervous i dont see a natural escape for him.

I think that's a rather optimistic viewpoint, we've seen time and time again that if quality players are available then top teams will go for them regardless of whether they need them or not. They are top teams because they always look to add and improve their squad should the opportunity to do so arise. Not necessarily saying that they would all be in for him but Utd for instance would love him there, bar Mata they don't have that type of player and he's settled in the league so would be a great signing and very low risk for them. Ditty City.

He's better than every player you've named there with the exception of Bale. If he's available, everyone will want him.

He's better than every player you've named there with the exception of Bale. If he's available, everyone will want him.

They may do, but i think they all have other priorities

I dont think anybody has £250mil to spend and i dont see him being any of those teams number 1 choice

Man, your assumptions are just in your dreams. No club thinks like that. If they can get a top player, they will try to get him, regardless of who they already have. Why did City buy Mahrez, when they already had De Breune, Sterling, D Silva, B Silva, Sane, Gundogan+++?
Because they could, and want as strong a squad as they can.

Back