• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

Shearer wasn't quick was he? I certainly wouldn't of considered him any quicker than Benteke...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

He was when he was younger. There was Shearer mk1 1988-c.1998 who was a pacy finisher, and then Shearer mk2 c.1999-2006 who was a physical target man.

It would be a gamble for us to pin our hopes on Kane after one breakout season, who knows what lies ahead for him.

The amount of games we're likely to play for the coming seasons, as well as Kanes ability to play several roles means we can accomodate another top striker, imv

Absolutely this

This Benteke nonsense is from IMO people ****ed that buying prolific goal scorers doesn't work so let's buy one that isn't. He can only therefore get better.

This Benteke nonsense is from IMO people ****ed that buying prolific goal scorers doesn't work so let's buy one that isn't. He can only therefore get better.

Actually it's from people understand that every striker we sign will be a gamble - we can neither pay the fees nor wages for surefire CFs. We prefer to gamble on a monster of a striker who has proven himself in the EPL (for one season at least) who at his best is unplayable and would like to give it a go at a time when a bid is most likely to succeed at a decent-ish price and without CL clubs coming in for him; this would never happen if he was banging in hat tricks every week..

We may be wrong but we believe that Benteke's goal drought is more likely to be related to the team he plays in rather than his own abilities and base this assumption on his displays for the Belgian team where the difference in service that he gets is so clear.

Is it a gamble? Yes but no more than Lamela (I won't even mention Soldado) who the majority of posters still believe will come good despite an equally poor two years.

Actually it's from people understand that every striker we sign will be a gamble - we can neither pay the fees nor wages for surefire CFs. We prefer to gamble on a monster of a striker who has proven himself in the EPL (for one season at least) who at his best is unplayable and would like to give it a go at a time when a bid is most likely to succeed at a decent-ish price and without CL clubs coming in for him; this would never happen if he was banging in hat tricks every week..

We may be wrong but we believe that Benteke's goal drought is more likely to be related to the team he plays in rather than his own abilities and base this assumption on his displays for the Belgian team where the difference in service that he gets is so clear.

Is it a gamble? Yes but no more than Lamela (I won't even mention Soldado) who the majority of posters still believe will come good despite an equally poor two years.

And the winner for most straw men in a single post is.......

And the winner for most straw men in a single post is.......

we have seen a lot of pacy black strikers..especially good when there young...

its not about pace alone... you have to know how to score when your getting marked out of the game..

have that natural skill...not just power...a bit like Berbatov .....

so i,m not so sure about this player Benteke...a bit of a gamble..is he better than Defoe say or Adebyour?

if not better than these two were just keeping level ...you could conclude even going backwards...8-[

I don't get the Benteke thing at all.

People just seem to want a Woolworths Drogba, irrespective of whether that's the type of forward who fits into our system

Did you say the same about Lukaku... Beasts up front are a fad, the striker we need to complement Kane is a Robbie Keane type. Someone that doesn't stand still with there back to goal. We don't need any more square pegs in round holes.

Would personally love a swap of Adebayor and Sneidjer.

Last edited:
we have seen a lot of pacy black strikers..especially good when there young...

its not about pace alone... you have to know how to score when your getting marked out of the game..

have that natural skill...not just power...a bit like Berbatov .....

so i,m not so sure about this player Benteke...a bit of a gamble..is he better than Defoe say or Adebyour?

if not better than these two were just keeping level ...you could conclude even going backwards...8-[

Benteke has more in his locker than just power or pace ( indeed i will never categorize him as a pacy striker) and i think this has been well debated here before.

What really surprised me is while this is his third season in EPL , the majority seems yet to completely understand what type of player he is.

I don't get the Benteke thing at all.

People just seem to want a Woolworths Drogba, irrespective of whether that's the type of forward who fits into our system

Well its surely down to preference isn't it? just because you do not want him doesn't mean everyone else has to feel the same.

Well its surely down to preference isn't it? just because you do not want him doesn't mean everyone else has to feel the same.

Yet those who want him are equally adamant that he is the answer and can't understand why others think he isn't.

Were we not first interested in Benteke when AVB was around (ultimately ending up with Soldado)??

Surely now at least two people sitting around the 'transfer committee' table are new faces..............so are we talking about this because of paper/itk talk about Benteke. Otherwise we may not even be interested anymore?

Were we not first interested in Benteke when AVB was around (ultimately ending up with Soldado)??

Surely now at least two people sitting around the 'transfer committee' table are new faces..............so are we talking about this because of paper/itk talk about Benteke. Otherwise we may not even be interested anymore?

After his wonder season we were in for him, but word has it AVB insisted on Soldado if we were going to spend that much. There has not been any mention of him anywhere (except every thread on this site) this window.

There's not even strong rumours or ITK. People just want him because he's the main Woolworths Drogba left at a club much crapper than us.

After the failures of Bent and Soldado, and the successes of Kane and Berbatov, I don't think we'll look to bring in a big money 'proven' CF again for a long time.

If we want a strong, dominant number 9 who gets all types of goals, brings others into play and leads the line, we could just use Harry Kane in that position. (That's assuming the type of forward we signed wasn't a 'big number 9' type).

If we want a strong, dominant number 9 who gets all types of goals, brings others into play and leads the line, we could just use Harry Kane in that position. (That's assuming the type of forward we signed wasn't a 'big number 9' type).

Exactly. Kane is like a big #9, but smarter and more mobile.

He's like Sheringham in that he can play pretty much anyway and with anyone.

If we want a battering ram, then just chuck Fazio up top for the final 10 minutes.

...we can neither pay the fees nor wages for surefire CFs...

I agree with your post, and i think the following list of strikers and their transfers highlights just how important i think it is to buy someone that we feel suits our team rather than just a big name:

Falcao at Man Utd, Torres at Chelsea, Shevchenko at Chelsea, Cavani at PSG. There are probably a lot more strikers we can add to this list (especially at a slightly lower level), Soldado being one of them. But I think it shows how important it is to get a striker that would benefit from being in our team rather than just getting someone who benefitted from playing in a completely different setup to us. And maybe some of the posters in this thread are right to suggest someone like keane or berbatov over a prolific goalscorer. Perhaps it really is almost impossible to score ~25 goals for us as a lone striker, and maybe we should be looking for a forward to get the most out of our attacking midfielders instead.

I agree with your post, and i think the following list of strikers and their transfers highlights just how important i think it is to buy someone that we feel suits our team rather than just a big name:

Falcao at Man Utd, Torres at Chelsea, Shevchenko at Chelsea, Cavani at PSG. There are probably a lot more strikers we can add to this list (especially at a slightly lower level), Soldado being one of them. But I think it shows how important it is to get a striker that would benefit from being in our team rather than just getting someone who benefitted from playing in a completely different setup to us. And maybe some of the posters in this thread are right to suggest someone like keane or berbatov over a prolific goalscorer. Perhaps it really is almost impossible to score ~25 goals for us as a lone striker, and maybe we should be looking for a forward to get the most out of our attacking midfielders instead.

I belive that is the whole reason why we hired that Mitchall guy, and he is the reason i don't believe we will sign any one significant this window. We have to wait till he has got he department setup and running and analysed all our players and targets to see if they will fit.

Back