• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

I think he'd be great for us. I'm not saying he will be the next Drogba, but he's certainly a lot better than Darren Bent and Emile fudging Heskey as I've seen people compare him to. What's Heskey's record total in a season? 9?

22 for Liverpool, 14 in the league.

Upper 20s?!?!? Not a chance! £15m with a few million add-ons tops. Once you get past £20m, you're looking for someone proven over a few years and with a bit of international experience as well. Benteke looks good but has done it for one season only.

also if we really want 3 players this summer (eg a CF, verstaile forward and CM), we're going to need to be shopping a bit more frugally

Are you talking about what teams are generally willing to pay for those players? Or are you talking about what you think Villa will realistically accept if they do stay up?

I just can't see why they would sell him for slightly over £15m, wouldn't mind being wrong though.

I think he'd be great for us. I'm not saying he will be the next Drogba, but he's certainly a lot better than Darren Bent and Emile fudging Heskey as I've seen people compare him to. What's Heskey's record total in a season? 9?

it's not all about goals - that's exactly the mistake we made in buying Darren Bent - yeah scored brick loads of goals for a Charlton side who played to his strengths every week but when asked to play a different role for a team which played in an entirely different style to one with which he was used to and all of a sudden he looked half the player he was.

Im not saying Benteke can't provide what we need from a forward, it's just that at Villa he hasn't had much of a chance to show it. can he hold up play? does he have good close control? can he spot a pass? is he strong? intelligence on the ball? etc - look at Berbatov at Leverkusen as an example, hardly a prolific goal scorer but he showed the attributes that we were looking for, there were probably scores of forwards out there who were out scoring him at the time which we could have signed instead and i bet the vast majority of those wouldn't have had the effect he had on our team.

He's still young and raw. He's not got the intelligence, touch or vision like Berbatov, but he's a very good footballer who can bully defenders and wins everything in the air. Be perfect to get on the end of Lennon and Bale's crosses. He's a hell of a better footballer than Bent put it that way.

Three questions:
How good is he? How much is he worth? Should we break the bank to get him?

IMO: Very good. £10 mill. No.

it's not all about goals - that's exactly the mistake we made in buying Darren Bent - yeah scored brick loads of goals for a Charlton side who played to his strengths every week but when asked to play a different role for a team which played in an entirely different style to one with which he was used to and all of a sudden he looked half the player he was.

Im not saying Benteke can't provide what we need from a forward, it's just that at Villa he hasn't had much of a chance to show it. can he hold up play? does he have good close control? can he spot a pass? is he strong? intelligence on the ball? etc - look at Berbatov at Leverkusen as an example, hardly a prolific goal scorer but he showed the attributes that we were looking for, there were probably scores of forwards out there who were out scoring him at the time which we could have signed instead and i bet the vast majority of those wouldn't have had the effect he had on our team.

As far as I've seen:

Strong as an ox, not that pansy arsenal type of ox, an actual ox. Have you seen him play? He's looked very strong every time I've seen him so I thought it seemed like a strange question is all, not a dig.

Good close control, can dribble past players, can bring the ball down, makes his hold up play quite good as well.

Not the best at link-up play, I think he's looked better than Defoe, but not as good as Ade. But very difficult to judge on just a few games for a Villa side that has been average.

Not Berbatov like in his playing style or in his intelligence or skill. High bar though and he has different qualities, he seems quick, certainly capable of getting past opponents with pace and power. Seems like he's a good combination of strength, height and power and goalscoring, skills and all round play.

The real question is if he will continue to put away chances at the same rate, if he does he would be a very good signing I think. I have no idea if he will or not, he seems composed in front of goal, he can score various kinds of goals, but who knows? We've seen players shine and fade in front of goals, seemingly having their form and skills turned on and off like a light switch. I can't judge the will be flops from the will be successes.

He's still young and raw. He's not got the intelligence, touch or vision like Berbatov, but he's a very good footballer who can bully defenders and wins everything in the air. Be perfect to get on the end of Lennon and Bale's crosses. He's a hell of a better footballer than Bent put it that way.

he may well turn out to be a better player than Bent, it's just im not so sure that
the comparisons which have been made refer to actually ability - more so the fact that he is excelling in a different role to what we require (much like when we signed Bent because of his time at Charlton ;))

if we could only sign one forward in his price bracket as first choice, would you be happy for us to sign him for the starting XI next season? If we were to do that i think it would be important to keep Adebayor around as the first back up to him

he may well turn out to be a better player than Bent, it's just im not so sure that
the comparisons which have been made refer to actually ability - more so the fact that he is excelling in a different role to what we require (much like when we signed Bent because of his time at Charlton ;))

if we could only sign one forward in his price bracket as first choice, would you be happy for us to sign him for the starting XI next season? If we were to do that i think it would be important to keep Adebayor around as the first back up to him

Yeah I'd be very happy if we signed him. Damiao is the one we are eternally linked with, but I can't judge him on YouTube clips alone. Plus Benteke's age makes him a good option. I think he's definitely better than our current strikers. I wouldn't be gutted if we kept Ade, provided we sign someone better. I'll be annoyed however if we don't sign anyone.

If you get a chance then watch a re run of the game he played before being sent off against Chelsea on Saturday. His hold up play and bringing other people into play was excellent, he was occupying both centre halves on his own and was always looking to turn one of them or flick someone in round corner or in behind. As for his goal, he glided past Cahill like he wasn't there and then had composure to stroke the ball past Cech rather than blast it at him or over after doing all the hard work.

If Villa were to demand £15m then I would snap their hands off. He is raw but even from the start of the season he has developed. It would be frightening to see him in a really good side going forward such as ours.

If you get a chance then watch a re run of the game he played before being sent off against Chelsea on Saturday. His hold up play and bringing other people into play was excellent, he was occupying both centre halves on his own and was always looking to turn one of them or flick someone in round corner or in behind. As for his goal, he glided past Cahill like he wasn't there and then had composure to stroke the ball past Cech rather than blast it at him or over after doing all the hard work.

If Villa were to demand £15m then I would snap their hands off. He is raw but even from the start of the season he has developed. It would be frightening to see him in a really good side going forward such as ours.

Did the same thing vs Liverpoo at anfield

He is very very similar to drogba and I'd take him as our only signing if need be.

There are some debating is he international class but he is first choice for a Belgium side that is IMO better than our Engaknd side

He is an absolute beast of a player and will only get better and would really suit our game

Did the same thing vs Liverpoo at anfield

He is very very similar to drogba and I'd take him as our only signing if need be.

There are some debating is he international class but he is first choice for a Belgium side that is IMO better than our Engaknd side

He is an absolute beast of a player and will only get better and would really suit our game

He was excellent at Anfield from what I remember in one of the only games that side of Christmas that Villa looked decent. Didn't he score 2 and get an assist on the other one?

I actually think he would work very well with Adebayor in a front two as actually. He looked very raw in the ealry part of the season but has improved month on month. If Villa manage to hang on to him then I would be very surprised.

Cheers, gives me a more rounded image of him as a player than just seeing him around the top of the goal scoring charts.

Not sure why this has been missed..

Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke has revealed he would love to play for Arsenal one day.

"I am not afraid of making enemies at Aston Villa by saying I love Arsenal. There are worse things one can say," he is quoted by the Daily Express.

"I am a Villa player for now. They are the right club at the right time for me. I have fulfilled a dream by playing in the Premier League. Now it is about staying as long as possible."

"Arsenal are the club I love. I like their philosophy of selecting young players and, besides, they hadThierry Henry in their team.

"For me, he is the best player in the world and he was my boyhood idol."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...-Christian-Benteke-admits-to-Arsenal-ambition

Massive Arsenal fan.

He always seemed destined for them. I think he'll be a world beater. Worth £20m - because of his age and massive potential.

i think he loved Ian Wright more than the club

I spoke to him a while back about it.. He was an Arsenal fan and yes Ian Wright particularly.. Not that surprising really.. He is very much Spurs now though. Think of how many Everton "fans" have played large parts in Liverpool history..

Back