• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

Benteke - 33.6 Passes Per Game, 1.6 Key Passes Per Game.
Berbatov - 44.3 Passes Per Game, 1.4 Key Passes Per Game.
Soldado - 19.8 Passes Per Game, 0.9 Key Passes Per Game.
Lukaku - 16.3 Passes Per Game, 1 Key Passes Per Game.
Tevez - 35.3 Passes Per Game, 1.8 Key Passes Per Game.
Michu - 32 Passes Per Game, 1 Key Passes Per Game.
Defoe - 12.9 Passes Per Game, 0.9 Key Passes Per Game.
Ade - 24.6 Passes Per Game, 1.1 Key Passes Per Game.

For those who claim he's an uninvolved goal-getter like Darren Bent.

Anyone that has actually seen him can see he's much more then a goal getter...it's so ridiculous i tend to just ignore the post.

Benteke - 33.6 Passes Per Game, 1.6 Key Passes Per Game.
Berbatov - 44.3 Passes Per Game, 1.4 Key Passes Per Game.
Soldado - 19.8 Passes Per Game, 0.9 Key Passes Per Game.
Lukaku - 16.3 Passes Per Game, 1 Key Passes Per Game.
Tevez - 35.3 Passes Per Game, 1.8 Key Passes Per Game.
Michu - 32 Passes Per Game, 1 Key Passes Per Game.
Defoe - 12.9 Passes Per Game, 0.9 Key Passes Per Game.
Ade - 24.6 Passes Per Game, 1.1 Key Passes Per Game.

For those who claim he's an uninvolved goal-getter like Darren Bent.

The only comparison to Bent that I've seen is that they both play for dogbrick teams who other teams don't defend against.

I don't think Benteke has ever played a PL match in which his team wasn't the underdog.

The only comparison to Bent that I've seen is that they both play for dogbrick teams who other teams don't defend against.

I don't think Benteke has ever played a PL match in which his team wasn't the underdog.

The only teams that were definitely worse than Villa last season were Reading and Wigan, though Wigan don't tend to sit back unless they're pushed back.

Nobody, because he spent his early years as a lazy, overweight defender in Ligue 2. Only signed his first professional contract at 21.

The similarity may be that he had one great season for Guingamp (aged 24) where he scored 20 goals, then moved to Marseille and scored 19 the following one, before moving to Chelsea for big bucks.

Benteke (who broke through at a younger age) scored 19 for Genk, then moved to Villa and scored 19.

Another similarity would be that at the time Chelsea paid a ton of money for him it was clearly a bit of a gamble because he hadn't proven himself consistent at a high level.

I think Benteke's overall play has been questioned.

Published: 15 July 2013 Updated: 11:47, 15 July 2013
Christian Benteke wants to secure his dream move from Aston Villa to Tottenham by Thursday.

Villa are demanding £25million and while Spurs haven’t made a formal offer for the 22-year-old striker, they have made a tentative proposal of £20m.

Benteke was given extra time off by Villa manager Paul Lambert after handing in a transfer request last week.

He is expected to return to training on Thursday but Standard Sport understands the Belgium international wants the switch agreed before then so he doesn’t have to return to Villa at all.

Benteke is determined to move to White Hart Lane and it is believed personal terms won’t be a problem, with Spurs prepared to pay him £70,000 a week.

Lambert’s side are returning from their pre-season tour of Germany today and will expect Benteke to join up with the rest of the squad on July 18 as planned.

Benteke’s agent is currently in Turkey, so no deal is expected to go through today and it is up to Tottenham to raise the £25m required to secure his signature.

Chairman Daniel Levy may prefer to take his time, however, in the knowledge that Villa are in a weak bargaining position because the player has expressed his desire to quit the club.

Paulinho, who completed a £17m switch from Corinthians this month, is the club's record transfer fee and he is an established Brazil international, while Benteke has enjoyed just one impressive season in the Premier League.

Meanwhile, Spurs are still interested in FC Twente winger Nacer Chadli, but the Dutch club insist they have yet to receive an offer from the north London club.

Another similarity would be that at the time Chelsea paid a ton of money for him it was clearly a bit of a gamble because he hadn't proven himself consistent at a high level.

I think Benteke's overall play has been questioned.

I've certainly got no problem with his overall pay - my only objection is paying proven money for an unproven player. The PL premium on players is simply ridiculous.

I've certainly got no problem with his overall pay - my only objection is paying proven money for an unproven player. The PL premium on players is simply ridiculous.

But surely that premium is paid because the player is (slightly) more proven than someone from a smaller league?

We're not in a position to sign a proven top class striker I think. At least not after Villa rejected us I can't think of a single player that would fit that description that we can realistically sign.

Benteke is still unproven, but he at least has one successful season in the Premiership behind him. Whereas someone like Bony would be even less proven.

if we go the Benteke route it does have the "one season wonder" risk attached to it - not saying he will be Ricketts bad, but it is possible he will be "just ok" (ie top 6 rather than top 4)

so i hope we keep Defoe is so as his experience and familiarity with the team is vast. 19 goals in 49 games last season is 1:2.5 ratio - very good by any strikers standards. a proven and experienced premier lge goal scorer

I have two concerns regarding this. One, it feels to be a transfer that we have decided to do on a whim because its opportune - a bit liek the Ade transfer last season. Two, I doubt he was even on our radar and never our first second third or any choice for that matter.

I thought Baldini and AVB had this knowledge of football etc including players globally who are attainable etc? Maybe Benteke has been on their radar but then why didnt we get Benteke last summer if AVB had knowledge of him.

I dont really think of football finance, im a football fan first and foremost and finance etc is part of my job so dont want to think about it outside of work but £20-£25m seems like a fair bit of cash to spend on someone who I dont think was on our radar. Smacks of a panic buy as we have learnt from our past mistakes. So on one hand I understand it but on the other I cant imagine that there arent available strikers out there.

I think Benteke will polarise fans in terms of whether he is the striker or not but hope he proves it next season. I have an apprehensive feeling about him but I also have a feeling he will succeed.

if we go the Benteke route it does have the "one season wonder" risk attached to it - not saying he will be Ricketts bad, but it is possible he will be "just ok" (ie top 6 rather than top 4)

so i hope we keep Defoe is so as his experience and familiarity with the team is vast. 19 goals in 49 games last season is 1:2.5 ratio - very good by any strikers standards. a proven and experienced premier lge goal scorer

I think we will keep Defoe and fudge Ade off to whoever takes him off our hands.

I have two concerns regarding this. One, it feels to be a transfer that we have decided to do on a whim because its opportune - a bit liek the Ade transfer last season. Two, I doubt he was even on our radar and never our first second third or any choice for that matter.

I thought Baldini and AVB had this knowledge of football etc including players globally who are attainable etc? Maybe Benteke has been on their radar but then why didnt we get Benteke last summer if AVB had knowledge of him.

I dont really think of football finance, im a football fan first and foremost and finance etc is part of my job so dont want to think about it outside of work but £20-£25m seems like a fair bit of cash to spend on someone who I dont think was on our radar. Smacks of a panic buy as we have learnt from our past mistakes. So on one hand I understand it but on the other I cant imagine that there arent available strikers out there.

I think Benteke will polarise fans in terms of whether he is the striker or not but hope he proves it next season. I have an apprehensive feeling about him but I also have a feeling he will succeed.

I don't agree with that, sorry. Spurs don't just spend £20m+ on a whim. You say it's an opportune signing because he's just handed in a transfer request, I say we're the reason he's handed in a transfer request. Football is a dirty business, we've no doubt been speaking to he and his agent without Villa's consent. AVB also spoke highly of him back in December, I don't know why you think he wouldn't have been one of our top choices, he ticks just about every box.

I do agree that I see Ade as the one to go though.

Or maybe with their global knowledge of football Baldini and AVB feel that Benteke's attributes make him good value at (let's say) £22 million? If we get him then I think it will be safe to say that the club really wanted him, his price is just too high to make him a opportunistic signing.

But surely that premium is paid because the player is (slightly) more proven than someone from a smaller league?

We're not in a position to sign a proven top class striker I think. At least not after Villa rejected us I can't think of a single player that would fit that description that we can realistically sign.

Benteke is still unproven, but he at least has one successful season in the Premiership behind him. Whereas someone like Bony would be even less proven.

I believe that playing for a top team in a lower league is more certain than a lower team in a top league for us.

Villa wouldn't have been much good at Stoke, because he doesn't (and as far as I know, never has) played their style of football. Equally, unless we're planning on playing exclusively on the counter, against teams that leave a lot of room behind for us, Benteke hasn't really proven anything.

As I said, I like his raw potential but I can't believe we're about to spend that kind of money on someone who may not be able to play our style of football. Especially not when most of our games are against teams with 10 men behind the ball.

I believe that playing for a top team in a lower league is more certain than a lower team in a top league for us.

Villa wouldn't have been much good at Stoke, because he doesn't (and as far as I know, never has) played their style of football. Equally, unless we're planning on playing exclusively on the counter, against teams that leave a lot of room behind for us, Benteke hasn't really proven anything.

As I said, I like his raw potential but I can't believe we're about to spend that kind of money on someone who may not be able to play our style of football. Especially not when most of our games are against teams with 10 men behind the ball.

Would David Villa had made a difference to that problem. ?

im not sure it is....like Rossi says we have been heavily linked with Benteke since christmas. It was looking more likely that we would take advantage of Villa being relegated and we then snap up Benteke. We could have signed him cheaper if that had happened, but because Villa have stayed up we now have to pay the full whack if we still want the player

I agree with Rossi that if this happens it won't be on a whim or just because the opportunity presented itself.

Having knowledge about football doesn't mean that all signings must be players that we as fans don't know about from exotic leagues. Having that knowledge is also about knowing when to go for the expensive player from the Premier League.

You talk about not facing proper defending, but top teams in smaller leagues dominate matches against fairly poor defenders on a very regular basis.

Benteke is not your typical counter attacking striker from what I've seen. The striker you describe that does well for a smaller team playing almost exclusively on the break is essentially Darren Bent, a comparison that has been made before.

What about Benteke makes you think that he fits into a team playing exclusively on the counter much better than he would fit into our team?

To continue the point in my answer to DHSF this is against what a proper knowledge about football form our manager and backroom staff is about. Having a good and reliable answer to "will he fit into our style of play?".

Would David Villa had made a difference to that problem. ?

Both Barca and Spain regularly face teams that sit back and defend deep with 10 men behind the ball, he's done well for both.

I think people are misjudging the situation if they think Villa have a poor hand:

Benteke has 3 years on his contract so they do not have to drop their asking price. Futher more they have previous when it comes to leaving people on the bench or out of the team completely. But what really strengthens Villa's hand is the world cup is next year and Benteke wants to be there. Methinks the fear of not going to the world cup will focus the mind if we do not agree a fee.

Although I want us to sign Benteke I think it is right that they hold out for the price they want just as we would expect Levy to hold out for the right price if Bale said he wanted to join real Madrid

Someone on SC posted quotes from a Villa forum where they were discussing replacements and they were on about Lukaku on loan, but the agreement seemed to be that they saw Lukaku as being more direct whereas they were describing Benteke as someone who is a link forward

Mourinho has told Lukaku that he will be staying at Chelsea this summer

I think people are misjudging the situation if they think Villa have a poor hand:

Benteke has 3 years on his contract so they do not have to drop their asking price. Futher more they have previous when it comes to leaving people on the bench or out of the team completely. But what really strengthens Villa's hand is the world cup is next year and Benteke wants to be there. Methinks the fear of not going to the world cup will focus the mind if we do not agree a fee.

Although I want us to sign Benteke I think it is right that they hold out for the price they want just as we would expect Levy to hold out for the right price if Bale said he wanted to join real Madrid

Agree with you. And look what Lerner did in the Barry/Liverpool situation - stood his ground as Liverpool wouldnt pay the asking price meaning Barry stayed there for another year. Granted the following year he moved to Man C for less but it shows that Lerner wont roll over unless his terms are met

Back