• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

This "I do not rate his as worth xxx" is simply idiotic. I do not normally rate a bottle of water to cost more than a quid but if I were in the desert and dying of thirst I would mortgage my house for it. Everyone is saying that this is a make or break season and we know that our attack needs a striker who can play up top on his own to fit our counter-attacking style, be able to bring in teammates and additionally be handy in getting in the goals himself. And have some experience of the Premiership to hit the ground running. And - above all - be willing to come to WHL with wage demands that we can afford.

If anyone can identify anyone that fits the bill and costs 9-16M, please do enlighten us...

This "I do not rate his as worth xxx" is simply idiotic. I do not normally rate a bottle of water to cost more than a quid but if I were in the desert and dying of thirst I would mortgage my house for it. Everyone is saying that this is a make or break season and we know that our attack needs a striker who can play up top on his own to fit our counter-attacking style, be able to bring in teammates and additionally be handy in getting in the goals himself. And have some experience of the Premiership to hit the ground running. And - above all - be willing to come to WHL with wage demands that we can afford.

If anyone can identify anyone that fits the bill and costs 9-16M, please do enlighten us...

=D>

What a great post.

The same people that were moaning about Levy's first offer being 20m are the same people that moan when Levy makes insulting offers that lead to a panic on deadline day.....AND NO STRIKER.

Benteke, the 2011-12 Ade, and half a season wonder Defoe.....pretty strong imo

If we bring him in, and no one else, do you guys want to keep Ade and Defoe?

It's a tough one. Benteke and Ade are very similar - Ade is better but Benteke is more applied. Ade is obviously much better than Defoe, but do we want two similar forwards or two different ones?

Ade, Benteke and Dempsey isn't the worst forward line up of all time - though it does lack in intelligence and finesse.

Benteke, Defoe and Dempsey doesn't have enough quality.

Ade, Benteke, Defoe and Dempsey is hammering us on wages, especially when only one will be playing at any one time (assuming Bale + one of Siggy or Lennon will be taking the two other forward positions).

The analogy is deeply flawed though. We already have two 'bottles of water', Adebayor and Defoe. You might not like the taste but you would drink it if you were dying of thirst.

Also it's not our job to identify those players. If i had the time and resources I assume the scouts at the club have, then sure. I would be able to find other players that fit the wage bill between 9-16m.

It's not a 'make or break season'. Everyone has been saying that for the past four years and it's a load of crap.

What a great post.

The same people that were moaning about Levy's first offer being 20m are the same people that moan when Levy makes insulting offers that lead to a panic on deadline day.....AND NO STRIKER.

And there's another thing. I have no doubt that the transfer - if it comes off - will be billed as up to 25 mill. But the fine details will not be in the press, namely that a chunk of the fee will beg linked to performance, goals scored, honours won etc.

Also, if Defoe is third or fourth in the pecking order (like he was behind Berbs, Keane and Mido/Bent), he'll agitate big time again.

It's a tough one. Benteke and Ade are very similar - Ade is better but Benteke is more applied. Ade is obviously much better than Defoe, but do we want two similar forwards or two different ones?

Ade, Benteke and Dempsey isn't the worst forward line up of all time - though it does lack in intelligence and finesse.

Benteke, Defoe and Dempsey doesn't have enough quality.

Ade, Benteke, Defoe and Dempsey is hammering us on wages, especially when only one will be playing at any one time (assuming Bale + one of Siggy or Lennon will be taking the two other forward positions).

Ade better than Benteke? so if Benteke is the striker we sign you would start Ade over him?

I do agree about the wages if we kept four of them.

The ideal (realistic) scenario would be to sign Benteke, an inside forward, keep Ade and bring in a striker on loan. Then we would be able to sell Defoe and Dempsey.

Also it's not our job to identify those players. If i had the time and resources I assume the scouts at the club have, then sure. I would be able to find other players that fit the wage bill between 9-16m.

If it is not our job to identify alternative players, it is equally not our job to estimate whether any bids we make are realistic or not. Leave that up to professionals with time and resources to make that decision.

It's not a 'make or break season'. Everyone has been saying that for the past four years and it's a load of crap.

Disagree - yes we all start with hyperbole every season. But this year it is true - miss top 4 and we lose the best player we have had since Glenn Hoddle.

Also, if Defoe is third or fourth in the pecking order (like he was behind Berbs, Keane and Mido/Bent), he'll agitate big time again.

You cannot miss a jibe at JD can you? :)

He is now older and wiser and realistically knows that it is as much as he expect if he wants to play for a top team

Ade better than Benteke? so if Benteke is the striker we sign you would start Ade over him?

I do agree about the wages if we kept four of them.

The ideal (realistic) scenario would be to sign Benteke, an inside forward, keep Ade and bring in a striker on loan. Then we would be able to sell Defoe and Dempsey.

Ade in the mood is twice the player Benteke will ever be. I'd start with Ade at Palace and see how he performs.

For me the ideal (quite similarly) would be to bring in Bernard for Dempsey, Leandro/Soldado for Defoe and then say someone like Oliveria on loan with a permanent option (or promote Coulthirst if he's ready) as a 3rd CF.

Last edited:
Don't know how Villa can value Benteke at 25m after just 1 season. Benteke has never played for any big club so far. So, not sure if he can handle the pressure of expectations at a big club. Remember Bent scored 18 league goals for Charlton before joining us and 24 league goals for Sunderland after leaving Spurs. In between that, he was a flop at Spurs.

He's not worth £25m to us but he's absolutely worth that to Villa. Realistically, without his goals next season, they could be relegated. They would have been if not for his goals last season. I'm amazed Villa will entertain offers at all to be honest.

You cannot miss a jibe at JD can you? :)

He is now older and wiser and realistically knows that it is as much as he expect if he wants to play for a top team

It's his last chance to go to a WC (or even international tournament as he'll be 33 at the next Euros). He has to be an undesputed starter for someone this season.

If it is not our job to identify alternative players, it is equally not our job to estimate whether any bids we make are realistic or not. Leave that up to professionals with time and resources to make that decision.

Disagree - yes we all start with hyperbole every season. But this year it is true - miss top 4 and we lose the best player we have had since Glenn Hoddle.

I guess we're done here then. Close down the transfer forum, Maltese doesn't think it's our place to estimate whether players or bids are good enough.

I can estimate the value of players i have seen based upon the prices of other players i have seen. It's not 100% accurate, but it's what this transfer forum is all about.

Disagree, If we sell Bale and make decent signings with the money he'd bring in, we'll be right about where we are now.

Bang on mate, weve missed out last two years by 1 fricken point because of brick strikers, speculate to accumulate

Back