• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Chelsea going through could be good as it happens

Cannot agree with that. We controlled a bit of possession to which (again) we couldn't find an end product and looked hapless upfront. Bale chucks harder throw-ins than some of Saha's shots at goal

3 massive defensive errors including a primary school goal from a corner lead to their 3 goals - i.e. they were more clinical, incisive and struck when it mattered.

We can have all the possession in the world but if we cannot put into good use in the final third and keep conceding ridiculous goals - makes little difference. We deserved nothing out of that game based on our defending.

We were guilty of two very poor defensive lapses, certainly. And we didn't finish our chances.

But it's disingenuous to suggest that all we enjoyed was a bit of possession. I repeat, we had 18 attempts at goal to their 6. We had 9 attempts on target to their 5. Their best player over the course of the game was David De Gea. Their second best player was Johnny Evans.

I'm not saying that we deserved to win. Scoring more goals than the other team is all that matters - regardless of which team has been dominant.

Ar5enal - good for 20 mins. Atrocious for the rest.
United - great for 42 mins, should have scored, they scored on break. 2nd half were chasing shadows and got punished by the best team in the country.
Everton, bad 1st half, better second half, did not get any luck. We have been lucky for most of the season in that things went our way and we scored when we needed to bar 5 or 6 games (City,Everton, Stoke, Utd, Wolves, I can think of). You cannot have luck all the time.
I think this we have gone off the boil thing is bollox. Ar5enal away is almost impossible to win at, we have done it once in 17 years? United at home, we never ever win, and Everton away we are 50/50. Some say to be a top team we have to win these games, but we hardly ever do.

I think we will win at Bolton quite convincingly.

United - great for 42 mins, should have scored, they scored on break. 2nd half were chasing shadows and got punished by the best team in the country.
Everton, bad 1st half, better second half, did not get any luck. We have been lucky for most of the season in that things went our way and we scored when we needed to bar 5 or 6 games (City,Everton, Stoke, Utd, Wolves, I can think of). You cannot have luck all the time.
I think this we have gone off the boil thing is bollox. Ar5enal away is almost impossible to win at, we have done it once in 17 years? United at home, we never ever win, and Everton away we are 50/50. Some say to be a top team we have to win these games, but we hardly ever do.

I don't think we've been lucky at all.

Stoke - five or six massive decisions against us in one of the worst officiating perfirmances of recent times.
Chelsea - two or three crucial decisions against us.
Wolves - two big decisions against us.
Emirates Marketing Project - two big decisions against us.
Man Utd - goal disallowed for accidental handball. Fair enough but....
Everton - identical accidental handball by Baines but no penalty.

In response, people can usually only cite Walker's late handball against Fulham. But that was accidental too, IMO. And besides, that incident only occurred as a direct consequence of a push by a Fulham player on a Spurs player. Not to mention, of course, that Spurs could earlier have had a penalty of their own when Parker was bundled over by Sidwell.

Off the boil is maybe not the way to say it, but we do lack confidence. Confidence is king.

I don't think we've been lucky at all.

Stoke - five or six massive decisions against us in one of the worst officiating perfirmances of recent times.
Chelsea - two or three crucial decisions against us.
Wolves - two big decisions against us.
Emirates Marketing Project - two big decisions against us.
Man Utd - goal disallowed for accidental handball. Fair enough but....
Everton - identical accidental handball by Baines but no penalty.

In response, people can usually only cite Walker's late handball against Fulham. But that was accidental too, IMO. And besides, that incident only occurred as a direct consequence of a push by a Fulham player on a Spurs player. Not to mention, of course, that Spurs could earlier have had a penalty of their own when Parker was bundled over by Sidwell.

No what I mean is that we have had luck on our sides for the other games, and things have gone our way. I meant that in those games i picked out we have not been lucky at all!

No what I mean is that we have had luck on our sides for the other games, and things have gone our way. I meant that in those games i picked out we have not been lucky at all!

I realised that.

But, other than that incident in the Fulham game (which, as I said, was only the result of a bad decision against us anyway), I'm struggling to think of any major incidents that have helped us to undeserved points.

There was the Gary Cahill sending off, I suppose. But we were already 1-0 up and utterly dominant in that game. They were just holding on to keep the score down. Rarely got close to our half of the pitch, let alone our penalty area! The sending off didn't have an impact on the outcome of the game.

And there was the Bale penalty at the Emirates but, ultimately, it didn't benefit us.

So what games were you thinking of, fella?

if your observation is right that anyway at Arse its impossible to win at, Utd at home we never win, and Everton away is 50/50, then how can you say we will win convincingly at Bolton when its one of those places we never win at :)

I realised that.

But, other than that incident in the Fulham game (which, as I said, was only the result of a bad decision against us anyway), I'm struggling to think of any major incidents that have helped us to undeserved points.

There was the Gary Cahill sending off, I suppose. But we were already 1-0 up and utterly dominant in that game. They were just holding on to keep the score down. Rarely got close to our half of the pitch, let alone our penalty area! The sending off didn't have an impact on the outcome of the game.

And there was the Bale penalty at the Emirates but, ultimately, it didn't benefit us.

Maybe I worded it incorrectly. what I meant was those games I mentioned we were unlucky so we did not have luck on our sides. All the other games, we won and played well and scored when we needed to, so we must have had a bit of luck on our sides???

as long as they don't end up winning it of course it's good news for us chelsea staying in it. we have a maximum of 4 midweek games (hopefully) left this season. i'd be concerned about us possibly having to go to bolton and villa 3 days after the semi final and final but that's nothing compared to what chelsea are facing.

if they beat leicester and reach the CL semi finals they will not have a single free mid week from now until the end of the season . they're an old team and they were already falling apart with terry and luiz struggling at the end last night. that sort of schedule is bound to take its toll.

I realised that.

Boom, was saying that in the Be Honest thread, we haven't had luck this season at all.

Apart from Fulham away, we haven't got any points that we really didn't deserve to get. Sure, some games were 50/50 that we end up winning, but for the most part, in the games we've won we've played well and took our chances.

In terms of the luck that could have the greatest swing, in the marginal calls that could really benefit us, we just haven't had it. And ironically it seems to have all gone into the FA Cup where we've played crap and had easier draws and somehow gotten through.

I suppose Arsenal got really unlucky too in having 4 full backs injured or whatever it was, so they've done really well to be where they are. But we haven't had any luck against the teams closest to us, and when we have dropped points we should have been getting, we've usually had some really bad calls against us or easy chances missed.

There was also VdV's handball in the lead up to his goal in the 2-1 NLD win last September which was a bit of luck in our favour, whilst it wasn't clear cut I'd have been furious if ARSEnal had been allowed to score a goal like that against us. Plus there was the soft penalty that was awarded for a nudge on Lennon against West Brom which gave us our equaliser.

According to http://www.debatabledecisions.com/ we've lost a total of 3pts nett over the course of the season due to errors by the officials. Not entirely surprising to see dirty Stoke as the main beneficiaries of the referees' incompetence.

Last edited:
yep a few things went our way in that west brom game

walker got away with a clumsy challenge in the box just after our pen. could easily have been given.

sandro might have had a second booking before half time as well

Chelsea will have made around 10m out of that win in Money from UEFA.
Also they will have the extra commercial clout prestige connected with being in the competition.

As for having more games to play, footballers don't mind playing all the time when they're winning especially after coming through a period were they were poor.
Hopefully City will put an end to that next week though and we could have a 7 point gap when we play them.

yep a few things went our way in that west brom game

walker got away with a clumsy challenge in the box just after our pen. could easily have been given.

sandro might have had a second booking before half time as well

'Might of's' and that kind aren't really what I'm talking about. It's not as if we got massively lucky to win that game, we played well and created good chances and won the game. It's not like West Brom were totally hard done by.

But in games we have dropped points, we've either played really well and not got what we deserved, had goals dissalowed that shouldn't have been dissallowed, had terrible refeering decisions go against us and have missed easy chances. We've also had teams score goals that are harsh against us, like Cole's handball not being given and them scoring from his cross. In games where we've gained points, a lot of the time it's not as if we weren't likely to get the points anyway, except for Fulham away where they did batter us. In the marginal situations, where we just need that little bit of luck, we haven't had it.

oh yeah i realise we are massively behind in terms of decisions not going our way. just trying to be as objective as possible.

you're right there are very few nailed on wrong decisions that have gone in our favour.

just look at some of what chelsea got away with around xmas time aside from the cole handball - luiz should have gone after 5 mins at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, the stone pen Emirates Marketing Project should have had for 2 nil and fat frank cutting that wolves player in half and then going on to get the late winner. it makes you wanna cry.

Just coming back to this as been working!

I'd say we were lucky in the following games off the top of my head..

Arsenal home - both goals. Handball / dodgy keeping

Fulham away - obvious

Wigan home- In the fact that they missed that sitter right near the end - would have been 3-2 ok we deserved to win (clutching? )

Wigan away - could have drawn that easily they murdered us in the last 25/30 mins so I'd say deserved points but lucky to come away with them.

Blackburn away - again they dingdonged on us in 2nd half so good defending or luck on our side?

Bolton home - Cahill sending off yes we should have won anyway but lucky sending off

Liverpool away - they were much better than us really. Great defending but they had better chances and were unlucky to win. Had we stolen it with Bale we would have robbed them.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine away - draw was a good result. We were unlucky that we didn't win it but they could have won it right at the end, so I think we were lucky and unlucky

That's all I can think of.

Basically im saying some of our wins we had elements of luck on our side.

I'm not saying we were really lucky in these games I'm just saying we had some luck on those days. It appears we didnt have any luck in the united, Chelsea, stoke, everton, wolves, city but im sure in instances in those games we were lucky but overall unlucky so how do you define luck with regards to football matches?

More games for them is a good thing. But isn't it just our luck that they are coming into good form just before they play us just like they did in December!

More games for them is a good thing. But isn't it just our luck that they are coming into good form just before they play us just like they did in December!

We should be aiming to beat teams at their best, not at their worst; only then can we get a true indication of how good or bad we really are.

Back