• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Changing Broadband provider

edgey-the-yid

Gheorge Popescu
Just wanna get some opinions and mini reviews from you guys on Broadband providrrs. I'm with Sky and just about had enough of them now... "up to" 20MB but I get 10-11 at best. Connection drops out on too many occassions and Ive had to get a new router in the 1yr I have been with them (which only gave me very marginal improvement).
For phone and internet I currently pay 27.50 (thats anytime landline, line rental and Sky unlimited).

Been looking at BT Infinity fibre optic super fast broadband boasting "up to" 79MB (says i should bout 55MB in my area). Full package with line rental and extra for free anytime landline calls is 39 quid. But with the option of paying landline in one lump of 130 you save 3 or 4 a month makin it 24 a month. Im tempted but wanted some sort of heads up before i fork our 130 on my card (plus earliest a technician can fit is 27th!!)

With fibre-optic, what they quote as the speed is what you should get. None of this "should achieve" nonsense.

Are you in a Virgin media cabled area? If so, by far the best broadband I've come across. Pay for 20 meg, get 21 meg. And when I go wi-fi with their super-hub soon, it will be up at 80 meg.

With fibre-optic, what they quote as the speed is what you should get. None of this "should achieve" nonsense.

Are you in a Virgin media cabled area? If so, by far the best broadband I've come across. Pay for 20 meg, get 21 meg. And when I go wi-fi with their super-hub soon, it will be up at 80 meg.

Unfortunately not otherwise I would get the full Virgin package, TV included. Will probably go for the BT Infinity till we eventually get Virgin

Bye bye Sky you fudging muggy tossers

2348203719.png

50MB.. Jesus!

How did Sky fall so far behind the rest?

I'm with Sky and have a good deal/happy with it... Well I was til now you bugger! Can't get Virgin so I might look into this BT Infinity.

im with virgin and have been great up until a couple of months ago. connection keeps dropping, bricky gaming experience etc

Just out of interest what speed does http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ give you? Years ago Ntl Tech Support (pre name change) advised me to use that site as it was most accurate, they're giving me about 3 to 4 Mb less than all the other tester's results. Looked on the Virgin site, they don't seem to be recommending any one particular tester now.

Got 49MB and 2.65

Still soooooooooooo much faster than Sky

I'm loving fibre. It's the FUTURE

im with virgin and have been great up until a couple of months ago. connection keeps dropping, bricky gaming experience etc
I have spates of having to reset the modem, doesn't happen for weeks then perhaps three or four times in a day, then nothing for weeks again. Getting a Virgin Superhub on Wednesday so hopefully all will be well from then on.

50MB.. Jesus!

How did Sky fall so far behind the rest?
I'm with Sky and have a good deal/happy with it... Well I was til now you bugger! Can't get Virgin so I might look into this BT Infinity.

Its not far behind, its a difference connection. Phone line vs fibre optic.

Sky also do fibre optic by the way using BT's infrastructure so you can effectivley get BT Infinity with them if you want.

2.69MB Upload is still laughable.

Once my exchange is enabled for fibre optic I will scrap sky and get youview and pay for sports/movies optionally as and when I want.

Been on Virgin since ntl days and only ever had 1 major problem in the space of about 10 years. Speeds are good and reliable.

I used to be with Virgin and loved it, when I moved my new flat didnt have cable so I had to move to Sky

Sky's fibre optic is more expensive than Virgin

I called them up to tell them I was leaving

They said "You do realise we do fibre optic"

"No.....", I replied. "Talk to me......"

"Well sir, we can switch you to fibre optic, for X amount per month"

"But that's more than Virgin, and your advertised speed is slower", I pointed out

"Errr, yes sir, that's right. But it's much faster than what you have now"

I stopped there and moved to Virgin

Sky's fibre optic is more expensive than Virgin

I called them up to tell them I was leaving

They said "You do realise we do fibre optic"

"No.....", I replied. "Talk to me......"

"Well sir, we can switch you to fibre optic, for X amount per month"

"But that's more than Virgin, and your advertised speed is slower", I pointed out

"Errr, yes sir, that's right. But it's much faster than what you have now"

I stopped there and moved to Virgin

Jealous we dont have Virgin (or Virgins for that matter hehe) in my town. But gonna go BT Infinity as they advertise 79MB but predict 55MB in my zone.
I used that same speed test app you used on my phone today (ok to be fair they are running a 10day test on my line) and yesterday I had 8MBps... Today.... 0.62MBps!! Yes thats right, 620KBps!!! Thankyou Sky

Back