• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Champions of 3rd place, we know what we are"

I would say that the move and stadium redevelopment has come at the worst possible time for the team in terms of on the pitch. We dropped 4 points at WHL last season. It's a subjective arguement so I can't put a number on it, but I'm fairly confident we would have amassed more points at home this season than we did last season season.

I agree with the defensive unit being the key factor for team's relatively dip compared to last season.

While I totally agree we would have got more points at WHL, it may actually have come at the best possible time.

At some point we had to make the move.
It's quite possible City will get to 100 points this season, we would never have beaten that.
We look on track for a CL finish, maybe even a FA cup final (if we win the FA cup, no question in my mind playing the semi & final at "home" would have been a factor)
Under the new rules, 4th or 2nd really isn't a major difference.

If we start next season in new WHL, with CL football and Chelsea & Scum in EL, it's a very good place for us.

I want us to finish as high as possible but I don't see any significant prestige attached to finishing 2nd rather than 4th and, barring a freak set of circumstances, both give direct entry to the CL group stages.

There is a financial difference between 4th and 2nd. Part of the money paid to CL teams is based on their CL results but part is based on the finishing position in the previous season's domestic league. Last season Arsenal earned €13.4m (about £11.7m) more than Emirates Marketing Project from the Champions League Market Pool because Arsenal had finished 2nd in the previous season's PL compared to City's 4th place. Additionally, 2nd place would earn about £4m more than 4th from the PL "merit payments".

The only argument i could potentially see is that 2nd and being properly in the title race (like down to the wire) would mean we're in a better place to challenge for the league again the following season than if we were adrift of the sides in the title race down in 4th.

This season though i wouldn't swap a late surge in to 2nd at the expense of a cup win.

2nd in the league gets you more money than 4th and the cup.

Doesn’t it also get you a better seeding in the CL, which in turn makes it easier to get more coefficient points?

4th place will start in the CL group stages (unless they are transferred to the EL as a result of Liverpool and Arsenal winning the CL and EL respectively and both finishing outside the top 4).

The access list shows that the CL winners ("UCL TH") and the 4th place teams ("N4") from the top 4 countries all have automatic entry to the group stage. If the CL winner doesn't need their allocated spot, because they qualify through their domestic league, the champions of the country ranked 11th (currently Czech Republic) will start in the group stage rather than the play-offs.

Thats from this year isnt it?

Which means the only real difference between places 1 - 4 is money. iirc there is a pretty big gap in take from CL TV income between the places.

2nd in the league gets you more money than 4th and the cup.

Doesn’t it also get you a better seeding in the CL, which in turn makes it easier to get more coefficient points?

Doesn't effect the seeding, afaia, league winners go in to pot 1 the other pots are sorted by coefficients

Last edited:
I would say that the move and stadium redevelopment has come at the worst possible time for the team in terms of on the pitch. We dropped 4 points at WHL last season. It's a subjective arguement so I can't put a number on it, but I'm fairly confident we would have amassed more points at home this season than we did last season season.

I agree with the defensive unit being the key factor for team's relatively dip compared to last season.

It's hard to argue that the move to Wembley didn't cost us points. We dropped four points at home last season, we dropped seven in the first three games this season. After that we've had a couple of draws and the City loss, which is pretty strong home form. The claim that we've played away from home all season is just rhetoric, but the adjustment did cost us early on.

Our home form last season was exceptional (better than City's this season) so we were always likely to have some fall off. But we have already matched our away points for last season with two games to play. Instead of fifth best, we are second best away this season, while our home record as dropped from best to fifth, 5-7 points behind the 2-4th best home form.

I'd especially like us to see us win those last two away games (Brighton, WBA) as that would give us 39 points, by far our best PL effort (34pts in 2015-16, 33pts last season). Away form is usually the best test of a teams winning mentality.

P.S. Here are the 40 point away seasons from recent PL seasons:

2017-18 Emirates Marketing Project 44+
2016-17 Chelsea 42
2012-13 Man Utd 41
2011-12 Man Utd 42

Last edited:
Doesn't effect the seeding, afaia, league winners go in to pot 1 the other pots are sorted by coefficients
Which is another reason (if any more were needed) why it's important that Arsenal don't win the Europa League. Assuming we get CL qualification it will be close whether we are in Pot 2 or 3. Arsenal have a higher coefficient than us and would take a Pot 2 place which could be crucial for us. Atletico will get CL qualification anyway, so them winning the EL will make no difference, and Marseille & Salzburg have lower coefficients than ours.

Really? I would say their owners are trying to suck money out, rather than pour money in.
Agreed

Pool owners are probably looking flavour of the month now but it can turn quickly and whisky I believe they genuinely want the best their just not rich enough and too business like

Uniteds owners are the worst kind... can’t afford the club so we will just mortgage it

Back