• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Chairman's message

Come on then gramps, I got to say I think we finish 6th next year ... thats with a lot of wholesale changes.

I have no idea where we will finish next season maybe 6th maybe higher, but neither do you unless you are guessing or have that crystal ball i mentioned. :p

Chairman's message... "See you all back here next season you mugs!"
Seriously though, he has to get this close season right with whoever he appoints and back them with signings 'they want' to improve the first 11 not just signings with sell on value.

Chairman's message... "See you all back here next season you mugs!"
Seriously though, he has to get this close season right with whoever he appoints and back them with signings 'they want' to improve the first 11 not just signings with sell on value.

I think that model has gone. Covid has destroyed much of the market for it and we've seen how hard it is to shift players.
I think we'll go back to the model that saw us go for Modric, Dele, Walker, Bale.
Those 4 cost what, £25-30m?!

I think that model has gone. Covid has destroyed much of the market for it and we've seen how hard it is to shift players.
I think we'll go back to the model that saw us go for Modric, Dele, Walker, Bale.
Those 4 cost what, £25-30m?!

Isn't that the same model?

Isn't that the same model?
It's one part of it, the low risk end. I think we've moved into an area where the risk/liability is larger. For example, Sanchez - we'd hope to be able to make a bit of the €40m Euros we paid. So have a first teamer, flip for a profit of 10-20% and replace.
Alli, Bale etc cost fudge and should/did go for huge money. But for all of those you also get a Dos Santos

It's one part of it, the low risk end. I think we've moved into an area where the risk/liability is larger. For example, Sanchez - we'd hope to be able to make a bit of the €40m Euros we paid. So have a first teamer, flip for a profit of 10-20% and replace.
Alli, Bale etc cost fudge and should/did go for huge money. But for all of those you also get a Dos Santos

You get that in every model aswel, all clubs have big money failures, just the doped have more money to cover them and buy replacements for the replacements.

I think we'll struggle to attract players in the >£50m bracket this summer anyway given the level of upheaval at the club so might shop a little lower down. That might also not be a bad thing this year.

Situations like Raya for £30m say, and 1-2 CBs in that bracket and some creative player would do nicely. We should be able to shift a few players (GLC, Winks, Rodon etc) to cover some of the outlay too

I think we'll struggle to attract players in the >£50m bracket this summer anyway given the level of upheaval at the club so might shop a little lower down. That might also not be a bad thing this year.

Situations like Raya for £30m say, and 1-2 CBs in that bracket and some creative player would do nicely. We should be able to shift a few players (GLC, Winks, Rodon etc) to cover some of the outlay too

Yeh I agree, I think the rebuild is easier out of the CL because you are not caught in two worlds of trying to compete on all fronts whilst also addressing the areas of most concern. It would also probably see us holding onto too many duds.

For me a clear year to get these new sporting execs in and give the new manager time to set out his stall is not a bad thing for us, its what we desperately need

Yeh I agree, I think the rebuild is easier out of the CL because you are not caught in two worlds of trying to compete on all fronts whilst also addressing the areas of most concern. It would also probably see us holding onto too many duds.

For me a clear year to get these new sporting execs in and give the new manager time to set out his stall is not a bad thing for us, its what we desperately need

Indeed.
Beyonce and co will be financing our time away from CL as opposed to financing our squad in it...

Indeed.
Beyonce and co will be financing our time away from CL as opposed to financing our squad in it...

The criticism of all the extra revenue generators is such an easy and lazy one. Levy has said all money generated goes back into the club. How can anyone criticise that. I know the optics aren’t great and it’s an easy stick to beat Levy with but there are so many sticks to batter Levy with that you don’t need to be dressing positives up as negatives.

The vision that he’s shown with this stadium is mind boggling. I’m genuinely in awe of the guy for what he’s built, how he’s used it and what it’s done for the club and the area. For all his bad decisions, this is one he got spectacularly right.

The criticism of all the extra revenue generators is such an easy and lazy one. Levy has said all money generated goes back into the club. How can anyone criticise that. I know the optics aren’t great and it’s an easy stick to beat Levy with but there are so many sticks to batter Levy with that you don’t need to be dressing positives up as negatives.

The vision that he’s shown with this stadium is mind boggling. I’m genuinely in awe of the guy for what he’s built, how he’s used it and what it’s done for the club and the area. For all his bad decisions, this is one he got spectacularly right.

You've misinterpreted what I was saying. Let me clarify.

I was saying that thanks to the extra revenue coming in via Beyonce, etc, we will be able to rebuild next season without being reliant on European football income/being indelibly hurt by the lack of European football income. This is a GOOD thing.

It is, however, a huge shame that we will not be using the extra revenue coming in via Beyonce, etc, to further finance a squad which is in the Champions League. This is an undeniable sentiment surely.

Does the extra revenue from concerts, NFL etc count for the FFP rules given that those revenues are directly linked to the stadium? Or do the revenues which are used to calculate spending limits only apply to football income from the stadium?

There's presumably a line drawn somewhere. Interested whether anyone knows

You've misinterpreted what I was saying. Let me clarify.

I was saying that thanks to the extra revenue coming in via Beyonce, etc, we will be able to rebuild next season without being reliant on European football income/being indelibly hurt by the lack of European football income. This is a GOOD thing.

It is, however, a huge shame that we will not be using the extra revenue coming in via Beyonce, etc, to further finance a squad which is in the Champions League. This is an undeniable sentiment surely.

I was actually agreeing with you in a roundabout way. I've seen Levy get stick, mainly on other sites and social media I think, for the karting, the concerts and all the other revenue generators. I knew you weren't giving him stick - just rowing in behind your point really.

Does the extra revenue from concerts, NFL etc count for the FFP rules given that those revenues are directly linked to the stadium? Or do the revenues which are used to calculate spending limits only apply to football income from the stadium?

There's presumably a line drawn somewhere. Interested whether anyone knows
Any revenue the club generates is used.

ok...but there must be a dividing line. Take a stupid example - football team buys a supermarket or an owner moves some other large business which they own under the corporate structure of the club (eg an oil company). Revenue therefore increases massively, so the wage envelope would do too.

Therefore there must be some boundary of what is included or not. If we build a hotel next to the ground, does that get included?

ok...but there must be a dividing line. Take a stupid example - football team buys a supermarket or an owner moves some other large business which they own under the corporate structure of the club (eg an oil company). Revenue therefore increases massively, so the wage envelope would do too.

Therefore there must be some boundary of what is included or not. If we build a hotel next to the ground, does that get included?
It's a long time since I had a look at what's allowed in ffp but anything that is done with the stadium, renting it out for concerts etc is definitely included.

It's a long time since I had a look at what's allowed in ffp but anything that is done with the stadium, renting it out for concerts etc is definitely included.

ok, thanks. Nice advantage for us from a FFP perspective then given use of the stadium for other things, as well as its size and ticket prices

They’d all count, surprised Mansour hasn’t tried something like that already, City “buying” one of his banks or something.

that can’t be right???

edit okay I see you now refer to stadium activities. So stadium costs and financing must be accounted for inside ffp too ? I guess this still leads to a healthy net profit - but how much?

Last edited:
Back