• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cars

That is a beauty! Love the colour too.

Potentially a silly question as I’ve mostly looked at the newer old models but what MY / edition is it as I haven’t noticed side vents like that before?

The fake vents will go! That is a body kit that was added along with wider arches (which will stay or be replaced).

To be honest there is quite a lot of things that need doing with the exterior. It was born an orange left hand drive car. Along its way someone converted it to a right hooker, added the body kit and sprayed it blue. Plus changed it’s engine and gearbox, and added a short shifting gear changer. After all that, its amazing it actually feels so sorted to drive. As I had a plan, wanted to change the exterior and give it a new interior, it wasn’t a problem. Its certainly not a purists stock car.

It is a head turner. The engine sound and looks has everyone checking it.

It is easy to drive but changing gear is very different to a modern car. You can’t smash through gears, have to pause for a beat after taking it out of gear before selecting the next gear. The wing mirrors are in the wrong place, a legacy of its left hand drive past [emoji23]. There is something to be said for ratty imperfect cars though. You can drive and enjoy them without worrying about keeping it perfect. Once people do them up, they don’t want to use and enjoy them as much. Ironic really.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

As you know i am a bike man but i had one of these beauty's back in the 70's, great car and the best bird puller i have ever had.:)

Did you have a convertible? Quite rare and expensive now. My grandfather had one in the garage, I used to sneak in and sit in it when 4/5 years old. Change gears and pretend to drive it. He had one and my step grandmother another! She’d bust my balls for messing around in them [emoji5]

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

You mean because of size/taxes etc? Want the space and don’t feel the infrastructure for full electric anywhere close to being decent. And with govt investment likely to be brick we’ll be running petrol and diesel for quite some time I think.

read some reviews just now that F-Pace infotainment system isn’t the best which concerns me a bit, spending that much money etc. Now thinking back to X5 again as front runner... welcome your thoughts all

My view is that we won't be able to have cars with proper engines much longer so I'm making sure my next few are ones I remember.

I've never owned anything with a V12 in it so I'll be taking my chance before they're banned.

You say “proper engines” Scara. Have you ever driven a high-horsepower leccy car? The acceleration is simply extraordinary, Bale-esque. As much as you need, whenever you need it.

So it’s not just the taxes, DL, although that was what first piqued my interest. And although you’re absolutely right that the infrastructure isn’t great, the I-Pace range is reliably up to 260 miles, which covers anyone and anywhere worth visiting. There and back.

I do get you @ShipOfGoldblum and the sensible option would at least to look for a Hybrid. but with Baby No 2 en route, I want to get an SUV and not struggle with space, and the options just dont have enough muscle on hybrid or electric.

BMW are meant to drop a Hybrid X5 soon but that will blow me out on budget given it will be brand spanking new. there is an X3 but i'd rather go big or go home.

You say “proper engines” Scara. Have you ever driven a high-horsepower leccy car? The acceleration is simply extraordinary, Bale-esque. As much as you need, whenever you need it.
The torque, especially from standing, is something really special.

Problem is, they're a bit of a one trick pony in that sense. The weight is too much and too high for them to be properly nimble around the twisty bits, the motors aren't powerful enough to make do so they have to be 4WD (no, computer adjusted balancing doesn't count), and they can't last a lap around a long track or 3 around a short one.

They're fine for short-medium distance cruising though. I haven't driven one for more than a few minutes but the fact the Tesla won't even publish range charts for the speed I drive concerns me.

So it’s not just the taxes, DL, although that was what first piqued my interest. And although you’re absolutely right that the infrastructure isn’t great, the I-Pace range is reliably up to 260 miles, which covers anyone and anywhere worth visiting. There and back.
What speed do you do on motorways?

I haven't seen data for the i-Pace, but the Model S appears to be losing range significantly at anything above 75 and much quicker above 80. Then the mong king sues anyone publishing articles about the range at real world speeds so we don't know what they can do at 90-100.

Electric cars don't like motorways. It really hits their range.

The weight of EVs is something you can't get around with the current technology. The Tycan manages to hide its weight well, but it is still there. Drive it fast around corners and the tyres will disintegrate under all that burden. But to have clean air in cities and less climate change, it is a small price to pay really. If governments can solve mass charging, then we should all be looking to get in an EV.

The weight of EVs is something you can't get around with the current technology. The Tycan manages to hide its weight well, but it is still there. Drive it fast around corners and the tyres will disintegrate under all that burden. But to have clean air in cities and less climate change, it is a small price to pay really. If governments can solve mass charging, then we should all be looking to get in an EV.
Maybe when the power is all generated from nuclear plants. Until then, the difference is small enough to not convince me to give up better cars.

Electric cars still have a long way before they're indistinguishable from ICE cars, and that will be the tipping point.

Agree with @scaramanga - the future is clearly there for them. The big sticking point is:
  • Cars just dont get the power on any long journey, even if you them infrequently, you still need to move a bit (and if you want a bigger car, like an SUV, you lose tonnes of space because of the additional size adjustments for EV so why bother?)
  • Infrastructure is terrible. Just terrible, read this from someone in the Independent in 2019 VW i think it was

Well actually motorway driving extends their range (is that what you meant?). It's the initial acceleration that puts the load on the battery more, so town driving uses up the battery quicker. Bit like petrol really.

EV is the way forward though, and it won't be long before ICE will be a very expensive luxury for the few or banned altogether. Bikes/electric bikes/electric scooters/etc will probably see a surge too as the streets in cities are being reclaimed from traffic. It is happening already in cities everywhere now as a by-product of the lockdowns, and it is good to see. As you say, less breathing in of toxins is welcome by-product.

As for the charging points, it cost a couple of hundred quid to install one in your house. A small price in comparison to petrol and convenient. And if they wanted the gov could install 1000s of public charge points with minimum disruption. Every lamppost is a potential charging point. They should also make it mandatory to install multiple charging points in each filling station too. There are charging point appearing the supermarket car parks near me too, and that is now influencing where I shop. So it is a gov/business/private solution that is not hard to get momentum behind if they so choose.

Last edited:
Maybe when the power is all generated from nuclear plants. Until then, the difference is small enough to not convince me to give up better cars.

Electric cars still have a long way before they're indistinguishable from ICE cars, and that will be the tipping point.
That will never happen. Nuclear is part of the picture now, and I've no problem with that. We need it as it is clean tech, but new nuclear is not a financially viable solution going forward when other renewable solutions are far cheaper now and the price is plummeting.

Well actually motorway driving extends their range (is that what you meant?). It's the initial acceleration that puts the load on the battery more, so town driving uses up the battery quicker. Bit like petrol really.

EV is the way forward though, and it won't be long before ICE will be a very expensive luxury for the few or banned altogether. Bikes/electric bikes/electric scooters/etc will probably see a surge too as the streets in cities are being reclaimed from traffic. It is happening already in cities everywhere now as a by-product of the lockdowns, and it is good to see. As you say, less breathing in of toxins is welcome by-product.

As for the charging points, it cost a couple of hundred quid to install one in your house. A small price in comparison and convenience. And if they wanted the gov could install 1000s of public charge points with minimum disruption. Every lamppost is a potential charging point. They should also make it mandatory to install multiple charging points in each filling station too. There are charging point appearing the supermarket car parks near me too, and that is now influencing where I shop. So it is a gov/business/private solution that is not hard to get momentum behind if they so choose.

A steady 30-40mph or similar is probably optimal for max EV range? When doing 70mph the exta oomph needed uses up the battery up quicker I believe. Could be wrong, but real-world tests seem to suggest range is impacted by higher speeds.

A couple of hundred quid if you have a garage. For cities especially, charging is an unsolved issue. Even with petrol stations and supermarkets equipped, it won't touch the demand - if we want everyone using an EV.

Probably should be a planning law passed that all residential flats with car parks underneath have to have chargers installed when built.

That will never happen. Nuclear is part of the picture now, and I've no problem with that. We need it as it is clean tech, but new nuclear is not a financially viable solution going forward when other renewable solutions are far cheaper now and the price is plummeting.
What happens when everyone want to fill up their cars on a cloudy day that isn't windy?

A steady 30-40mph or similar is probably optimal for max EV range? When doing 70mph the exta oomph needed uses up the battery up quicker I believe. Could be wrong, but real-world tests seem to suggest range is impacted by higher speeds.

A couple of hundred quid if you have a garage. For cities especially, charging is an unsolved issue. Even with petrol stations and supermarkets, it won't touch the demand - if we want everyone using an EV.

Probably should be a planning law passed that all residential flats with car parks underneath have to have chargers installed when built.
I find cruising about 80-90 kph keeps the battery usage meter right down at the bottom. Everything I do shows on the dash in terms of the draw on power, or when breaking the regen power is put back into the battery. Accelerating is the worst obviously but keeping it ticking over at a certain speed is not bad. That's my experience anyway.

I don't have a garage. You can stick a charge point on the wall if you have a driveway. If you don't well then it can get tricky.

The infrastructure is cheap and having it will incentivise folks to change. Having no infrastructure in place does the opposite. The day I bought the Leaf I was driving it home (down the motorway ) and had planned one-stop halfway home to do a top-up. The filling station had 2 charge points that were suitable for my car and TEN TESLA CHARGE POINTS. It was a few years ago and I believe at the time there were not even 10 Teslas in the country. Build it and they will come is the way I see it.

I agree on the law thing. It should be part of all new builds where practical.

Last edited:
There will always moments and opportunities where you want to enjoy driving, and what you're driving to that end, matters.

But car journeys are 100% going to change.
1.They'll be less of them. Work will happen more from home. Shopping will happen more from home.
2. We won't be driving. Why? Because lets face it 90% of car journeys are a chore, a waste of ones attention and concentration. Probably an expanded Uber type network and then of course, automated cars. Someone/something else driving. Shout it up...outside your house in 5 mins
3. What that equals is no care for charging, range, performance, reliability, fines, parking....thats all on the well tuned provider of service.
4. If you can get all that journey time back, to work,rest,sleep and of course the big one, stare at one screen or another for even more time....it gonna be happening.
5. As @Rorschach says...this will be supplemented by electric bikes, scooters, rickshaws! for short local/in town journeys.

There will always moments and opportunities where you want to enjoy driving, and what you're driving to that end, matters.

But car journeys are 400% going to change.
1.They'll be less of them. Work will happen more from home. Shopping will happen more from home.
2. We won't be driving. Why? Because lets face it 90% of car journeys are a chore, a waste of ones attention and concentration. Probably an expanded Uber type network and then of course, automated cars. Someone/something else driving. Shout it up...outside your house in 5 mins
3. What that equals is no care for charging, range, performance, reliability, fines, parking....thats all on the well tuned provider of service.
4. If you can get all that journey time back, to work,rest,sleep and of course the big one, stare at one screen or another for even more time....it gonna be happening.
5. As @Rorschach says...this will be supplemented by electric bikes, scooters, rickshaws! for short local/in town journeys.
I reclaimed the best part of two hours a day since I started working at home fulltime. It is a fudging gift. And just judging on the surveys they keep sending to me I think they might be edging towards making this a permanent solution with minimal office time going forward.

I find cruising about 80-90 km keeps the battery usage meter right down at the bottom. Everything I do shows on the dash in terms of the draw on power, or when breaking the regen power is put back into the battery. Accelerating is the worst obviously but keeping it ticking over at a certain speed is not bad. That's my experience anyway.

I don't have a garage. You can stick a charge point on the wall if you have a driveway. If you don't well then it can get tricky.

The infrastructure is cheap and having it will incentivise folks to change. Having no infrastructure in place does the opposite. The day I bought the Leaf I was driving it home (down the motorway ) and had planned one-stop halfway home to do a top-up. The filling station had 2 charge points that were suitable for my car and TEN TESLA CHARGE POINTS. It was a few years ago and I believe at the time there were not even 10 Teslas in the country. Build it and they will come is the way I see it.

I agree on the law thing. It should be part of all new builds where practical.
What if 80-90kph isn't nearly fast enough?

What range do you get at 90-100mph?

Back