• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cars

No 1 is can you charge at home?

Teslas have the super charger network which is good if you’re doing long drives. Do you do many 2+ hour drives? But Tesla build quality isn’t great.

I don’t thing the tax breaks change on a lease basis. Benefit in kind is far lower on EVs. But hybrids are a happy medium. Low benefit in kind but also never going to be caught short, queuing for a charger or finding a faulty one etc

I have a hybrid. Occasionally there are trips where you drive 2hrs there and 2 back where an EV would slow me down needing to top up, but most of the time I may as well be in an EV. The battery is so much better in warm (not overly hot) weather. Range is 3-4 times as much when warm. It is hardly worth changing the small battery when the weather is cold, you get so few miles. In summer when it’s not hot enough for air con I’m on electric power most of the time.
Thanks.

I'm buying a new place which means I can sort the charging out which was another reason I have begun to consider it.

I'll double check the numbers but everything I've seen about the scheme did make it look like a 40% discount off the lease.

The only person I know who has a Tesla said it was the quickest thing he has driven but build quality was like it was built by a ten year old :D

I don't think I'll do many long drives it was the combo of 0-60 performance and the discount, hybrids I'm aware of don't seem as much fun and all look the same to me , but I'd also consider picking up a cheaper used one for day to day and replace the porsche with a newer 2 seater for pleasure.

What hybrid do you have and is it the only one you've owned?

Thanks.

I'm buying a new place which means I can sort the charging out which was another reason I have begun to consider it.

I'll double check the numbers but everything I've seen about the scheme did make it look like a 40% discount off the lease.

The only person I know who has a Tesla said it was the quickest thing he has driven but build quality was like it was built by a ten year old :D

I don't think I'll do many long drives it was the combo of 0-60 performance and the discount, hybrids I'm aware of don't seem as much fun and all look the same to me , but I'd also consider picking up a cheaper used one for day to day and replace the porsche with a newer 2 seater for pleasure.

What hybrid do you have and is it the only one you've owned?

I have family wagon - a 330e estate (BMW). It is fast. In real world terms it gets me from A to B as fast as anything can. The weight is quite nice on motorway journeys. Light cars are less stable at speed when windy etc. But its weight means it’s not really any fun. The engineering on these heavy modern cars is exceptional. They can corner at high speeds and eat up miles far faster than your 944 and my 70s 911. But they are half the fun. Effective but cold. No steering feel, no gears, and you notice the weight when you go over bumps and corner. It’s gets round corners but it’s not pleasurable, you feel the strain. The zip forward from the electric motors is a thing. Wizzes forward instantly and silently. So much torque. But it’s a party piece and tbh that is the end of the driving pleasure in purist terms. What is pleasurable is driving around town silently, not emitting anything. It is serine. Have to watch out for pidgins and people in the road - they don’t hear you.

The MG4 is an interesting option. Good value, decent to drive and with the upgraded battery it has excellent range.

Efficiency is the main thing with EVs (miles/kw). Certain EVs get far more range than others from the same battery. And that means an awful lot - the difference between you getting home in one go and having to faff about with chargers.

Last edited:
I have family wagon - a 330e estate (BMW). It is fast. In real world terms it gets me from A to B as fast as anything can. The weight is quite nice on motorway journeys. Light cars are less stable at speed when windy etc. But its weight means it’s not really any fun. The engineering on these heavy modern cars is exceptional. They can corner at high speeds and eat up miles far faster than your 944 and my 70s 911. But they are half the fun. Effective but cold. No steering feel, no gears, and you notice the weight when you go over bumps and corner. It’s gets round corners but it’s not pleasurable, you feel the strain. The zip forward from the electric motors is a thing. Wizzes forward instantly and silently. So much torque. But it’s a party piece and tbh that is the end of the driving pleasure in purist terms. What is pleasurable is driving around town silently, not emitting anything. It is serine. Have to watch out for pidgins and people in the road - they don’t hear you.

The MG4 is an interesting option. Good value, decent to drive and with the upgraded battery it has excellent range.

Efficiency is the main thing with EVs (miles/kw). Certain EVs get far more range than others from the same battery. And that means an awful lot - the difference between you getting home in one go and having to faff about with chargers.
Thanks that's really useful.

I live in Milton Keynes now so town driving is basically 0-70 asap and look right every 10 seconds!

Do you know what guarantee or warranty they give on the battery like of evs? It seems a little risky to me to buy one unless there is a guaranteed minimum life expectancy?

Thanks that's really useful.

I live in Milton Keynes now so town driving is basically 0-70 asap and look right every 10 seconds!

Do you know what guarantee or warranty they give on the battery like of evs? It seems a little risky to me to buy one unless there is a guaranteed minimum life expectancy?

That MG4 comes with a 7 year warranty, but I am sure that doesn't cover battery deg. I don't think it is such an issue anymore. You can just charge up on a slow voltage at home, and that helps with battery life a bit. Can also not charge all the way up unless you need it. I think that can help too. The last 10-20% also takes the longest, analogous to water boiling over the top of a pan. The last bit of charging has to be done slowly and carefully. So just charge to 80% most of the time.

Tesla is the best option if you want to spend the money. They have the most efficient setup and their own charge network. But for 26k an MG is decent and gives you a nice few holidays saving over a Tesla.

I got a decent payout from the insurers on my M3 (I miss that car :( so when I have time I will buy a new project...

So the Taycan eventually turned up.

Had a week or two to get used to it and it's quite impressive. It's technically brilliant, very fast, handles like you'd expect a Porsche to......

It's just not fun though. It's the only Porsche I've ever driven outside a track, so I'm not sure if they're all like this on the road but it's a bit too competent. It feels like pretty much anyone could drive this car quickly, not much challenge to it.

Had a week or two to get used to it and it's quite impressive. It's technically brilliant, very fast, handles like you'd expect a Porsche to......

It's just not fun though. It's the only Porsche I've ever driven outside a track, so I'm not sure if they're all like this on the road but it's a bit too competent. It feels like pretty much anyone could drive this car quickly, not much challenge to it.

If you're looking for a challenging drive from a German car try a Trabant.

Or one of these
75db777ad06df3abdcd6639fc04f73d1.jpg

Now has close to 200bhp and I chase down hot hatches through the Somerset countryside [emoji16]

@NoLimits01 how is the bus!?

I was planning to electrify a Citron DS. The engine isn't much good, so like the idea. Then I saw one of these on Monday

b69p0uyjtq6uq0g27a6hpoz1p.jpg

Next iteration after the DS. The design is so unique, and more modern. You couldn't/shouldn't electrify it, it has a decent 3 liter maserati engine.

The only challange is time to enjoy it, and space to store them.

Last edited:

Agree about modern cars. Highly effective, but lacking soul, fun and personality. They are also too big on the whole. Can’t thread them through tight places and they weigh a tonne…or two.

How are you finding the range and charging?

Agree about modern cars. Highly effective, but lacking soul, fun and personality. They are also too big on the whole. Can’t thread them through tight places and they weigh a tonne…or two.

How are you finding the range and charging?
Charging is fine, there's a Porsche centre 2 mins from my office and I can get half a "tank" in around 15 mins. They even make me a coffee while I wait. Should have a home charger installed by the end of next week. That will help massively as I use about 10 miles on pre-cooling/heating every time I get in.

Not so sure about total range. I have a heavy right foot and I always drive with AC on, so my best guess is a little over 200 miles. Plenty of room to improve that, I just don't need to.

In terms of driving dynamics, it really is impressive - it just feels too easy. In the Aston, if I stamped my right foot down I'd be in a tree. In the Porsche, it feels a bit like driving a sim with too many assists on. Even with TC off it's really hard to cause a fuss in it.

Charging is fine, there's a Porsche centre 2 mins from my office and I can get half a "tank" in around 15 mins. They even make me a coffee while I wait. Should have a home charger installed by the end of next week. That will help massively as I use about 10 miles on pre-cooling/heating every time I get in.

Not so sure about total range. I have a heavy right foot and I always drive with AC on, so my best guess is a little over 200 miles. Plenty of room to improve that, I just don't need to.

In terms of driving dynamics, it really is impressive - it just feels too easy. In the Aston, if I stamped my right foot down I'd be in a tree. In the Porsche, it feels a bit like driving a sim with too many assists on. Even with TC off it's really hard to cause a fuss in it.

Does it have adaptive damping - helps to disguise its heft. The silent warp speed acceleration must be fun. Good rear seats?

Does it have adaptive damping - helps to disguise its heft. The silent warp speed acceleration must be fun. Good rear seats?
Yeah, the damping hides the weight in the corners but can't hide it under braking. The brakes are good and don't fade at all, but you know the weight is there - not easy to transfer it at will.

I used launch control a couple of times, felt sick and vowed not to use it again. It's a very strange, linear acceleration - gets to 60 in just under 3.7 but never pulls more than 0.8G (according to my cluster). The instant power is really handy if you want to make an amber light - no need to blip down a couple of gears before going for it.

Seats are good in the back, plenty of headroom as I got the touring. Screens are good for the kids, my youngest now refuses to sit in my wife's car because she doesn't have them.

@NoLimits01 how is the bus!?

I was planning to electrify a Citron DS. The engine isn't much good, so like the idea. Then I saw one of these on Monday

b69p0uyjtq6uq0g27a6hpoz1p.jpg

Next iteration after the DS. The design is so unique, and more modern. You couldn't/shouldn't electrify it, it has a decent 3 liter maserati engine.

The only challange is time to enjoy it, and space to store them.

It’s on hold….again[emoji2371]

Everything is done except for paint and final assembly, but it will have to wait until I can free up some more funds.

I would love to have a DS, a truly beautiful and timeless classic, but that car there is proper sexy. Go on do it [emoji16]

Or one of these
75db777ad06df3abdcd6639fc04f73d1.jpg

Now has close to 200bhp and I chase down hot hatches through the Somerset countryside [emoji16]
Pretty sure I saw one of those break the record at SupercarFest.

Someone had filled it with electric motors and batteries. It got to 60 in about 2 secs.

Considering a company car for the wife
Actually she would have my a6 and I’d have the company car
All our cars are electric…
Took out an XC40. 400 BHP in an SUV is just daft. Really nice car but the drive is a bit “floopy”
Taking a polestar 2 out next week. Had a brief drive in one a few weeks ago at a work event and it’s really nice.
An6 others I should be looking at.
Cap is £60k

It’s on hold….again[emoji2371]

Everything is done except for paint and final assembly, but it will have to wait until I can free up some more funds.

I would love to have a DS, a truly beautiful and timeless classic, but that car there is proper sexy. Go on do it [emoji16]
I recently tried a new DS 9. Absolutely magnificent! The ride comfort was better than anything I've tried, including Mercedes S class. Amazing car. Same goes with the DS 7. Really well built cars, that go a bit under the radar.

Had the Taycan for 3 or 4 months now, so it's time for a longer term review.

Meh.

Assuming both are clean and filled with their respective fuels, I still find myself taking the Aston. Not sure I'll ever manage to put her up for sale at this rate.

Considering a company car for the wife
Actually she would have my a6 and I’d have the company car
All our cars are electric…
Took out an XC40. 400 BHP in an SUV is just daft. Really nice car but the drive is a bit “floopy”
Taking a polestar 2 out next week. Had a brief drive in one a few weeks ago at a work event and it’s really nice.
An6 others I should be looking at.
Cap is £60k

Check out the new Chinese EV manufacturers. Xpeng, MG, Polstar (Volvo also Chinese-owned now) seem to be making the best bang for your buck EVs. Also new Korean EVs are interesting as well.

The Polstar is attractive. Personally not drawn to most of the generic EV designs. Samey, and uninspiring for me. But the Polstar is more interesting than most of the EV designs.

Back