• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Carroll to start over Parker at Swansea?

He looks good in training with the U-21's one touch passing and nice interchanging with Jonjo. He might get a start tomorrow against Romania.

[video=youtube;oplxNmje_0E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oplxNmje_0E[/video]

between a recent premier league player of the year and a junior thats talented i would almost always favour the premier league player of the year

Personally I think he looks like a great little player, certainly the most promising youngster that we have brought through in a while. That's not saying he's going to make it or be the next modric but I think he looks good.

If Parker was to pick up an injury I'd far rather see him and Dembele in there than Livermore and Dembele.

I don't think Carroll will ever amount to anything amazing, but he could be our Joe Allen and a useful squad player. He isn't, and never will be, in the same class as Dembele or Parker though.

I don't think Carroll will ever amount to anything amazing, but he could be our Joe Allen and a useful squad player. He isn't, and never will be, in the same class as Dembele or Parker though.

A bit premature to write him off like that, do you not think? The kid has massive potential.

There are places for the Joe Allen's of this world in the top teams. Or let's make it a bit sexier by saying there is a place for the 'Xavi' type players of this world.

A bit premature to write him off like that, do you not think? The kid has massive potential.

There are places for the Joe Allen's of this world in the top teams. Or let's make it a bit sexier by saying there is a place for the 'Xavi' type players of this world.

The kid isn't a teenager anymore. Players with massive potential, unless being kept out of the side by a world class player already, tend to be demonstrating their massive potential in the first team in their teens.

That's assuming that every footballer in the world progresses at the same rate - which is wrong.

Every player I can remember with massive potential goes on to have a massive career, barring injury. Certainly in our game, I can't comment in foreign lands where their ability is there but may not be realised or noticed by the wider footballing community, there aren't many top top class players I can recall who weren't clearly top class in their teens and already superior in their teens to most seasoned pro's playing the same position.

There have been a few very good players though who come through late, but I wouldn't regard them as massive potential players. Just very good players. Massive potential to me equates to potential to be a world class player.

He looks good in training with the U-21's one touch passing and nice interchanging with Jonjo. He might get a start tomorrow against Romania.

[video=youtube;oplxNmje_0E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oplxNmje_0E[/video]

Good goal starting at 1:11

Old Bill;328816[B said:
]Every player I can remember with massive potential goes on to have a massive career[/B], barring injury. Certainly in our game, I can't comment in foreign lands where their ability is there but may not be realised or noticed by the wider footballing community, there aren't many top top class players I can recall who weren't clearly top class in their teens and already superior in their teens to most seasoned pro's playing the same position.

There have been a few very good players though who come through late, but I wouldn't regard them as massive potential players. Just very good players. Massive potential to me equates to potential to be a world class player.

I cannot agree with this 1st sentence. There are countless numbers of player who never develop into the players their early promise shows and it has nothing to do with injury. You don;t have to look any further than our own academy for examples of this.

I think you need to re-evaluate your definition of potential. Even the term world class is so objective as to be a pointless label and frankly nobody is saying Carroll will be in this mythical world-class bracket.

Carroll is not a teenager but hardly a season pro. He is twenty, and young twenty at that in a physical sense. When I see Carroll play I am not blind to his limitations but he has the one thing that cannot be taught and that is footballing intelligence. He sees the bigger picture and that for me trumps most physical attributes. Carroll will be a good premiership quality midfielder either with us or another club of that I have no doubt.

Last edited:
I cannot agree with this 1st sentence. There are countless numbers of player who never develop into the players their early promise shows and it has nothing to do with injury. You don;t have to look any further than our own academy for examples of this.

I think you need to re-evaluate your definition of potential. Even the term world class is so objective as to be a pointless label and frankly nobody is saying Carroll will be in this mythical world-class bracket.

Carroll is not a teenager but hardly a season pro. He is twenty, and young twenty at that in a physical sense. When I see Carroll play I am not blind to his limitations but he has the one thing that cannot be taught and that is footballing intelligence. He sees the bigger picture and that for me trumps most physical attributes. Carroll will be a good premiership quality midfielder either with us or another club of that I have no doubt.

You are proving my point more than debating against it? My question is this:

How many players in their teen didn't show world class potential but then went on to become world class?
Second question is, do people really believe that Carroll will be one?

You are proving my point more than debating against it? My question is this:

How many players in their teen didn't show world class potential but then went on to become world class?
Second question is, do people really believe that Carroll will be one?

I'm not actually. I'm disagreeing with your original point that Carroll will not amount to anything and making the point that world class tag is a red herring in this debate.

Old Bill said:
...He isn't, and never will be, in the same class as Dembele or Parker though.

I thought about him, but he came from another country and I stated that caveat elsewhere. I'm pretty sure that in some of the other countries there is definitely world class talent unrecognised playing in lower leagues or struggling to break into a first team.

From the UK, I can't really think of one since the 80's (when scouting was a lot looser than now) and the same applies to foreign youngsters. The only one I can recently think of would be Sheringham, but even then I don't think he was ever truly world class. Henry could be regarded as another but he was exceptionally good at Monaco and the perception he made some massive jump in ability when at Arsenal is a falsehood. He certainly made a massive leap up from flopping at Juventus but he took a backwards step there. Same with Bergtoss at Inter.

Certainly in the Premiership era I can't think of anyone.

I'm not actually. I'm disagreeing with your original point that Carroll will not amount to anything and making the point that world class tag is a red herring in this debate.

Parker and Dembele certainly aren't world class but they are of a high standard. A standard that Carroll will never reach unfortunately. I do think that Carroll could be an Etherington/O'Hara level player though and that is a decent standard to be proud of.

Parker and Dembele certainly aren't world class but they are of a high standard. A standard that Carroll will never reach unfortunately. I do think that Carroll could be an Etherington/O'Hara level player though and that is a decent standard to be proud of.
I can certainly see Carroll being a better player than Etherington and O'Hara but I guess time will tell. Let's disagree on this one.

I can certainly see Carroll being a better player than Etherington and O'Hara but I guess time will tell. Let's disagree on this one.

We should remember this conversation for later down the line! My personal belief is that Carroll will end up in the Championship, yo yo's between the Prem and the Championship or in a side that continually flirts with relegation from the Premiership.

Back