• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cardiff - Post match discussion thread

Some say Lennon played well, I disagree. He worked hard, but like everybody else on our team today, his passing was terrible.

We never seem to play good passes in and around the 18 yard box when an opposition is set. We can do it to an extent on the counter (today's goal for example).

Eriksen and Lamela need to come into the team. Those two, with Ade and Soldado mean we have some footballers out there.

Some say Lennon played well, I disagree. He worked hard, but like everybody else on our team today, his passing was terrible.

Spent most of the game in an already congested middle instead of sticking on the touchline, he put in a great defensive shift though

I think what today highlighted was that we just aren't very good. The personnel isn't great when everyone is fit, and today when i saw the line up i was pretty disappointed, looked at the bench and din't see much better.

I think that was the weakest Spurs side on paper since Jol's first season. Even then we had passers like Carrick in the team with other technically proficient players like Reto Ziegler and Pedro Mendes. If we field anything resembling that line up against Chelsea or Pool they will brush it aside like the mid-table dross it is.

Even more importantly than results at this stage is the lack of game plan, philosophy, tactics and general intelligence/movement. i was discussing this in the other thread - is Raheem Sterling a more intelligent footballer than Lennon, or is he just better coached? I find it hard to believe that our players just lack footballing instinct of other teams players, but maybe they do?! Have we spent 100's of millions on a team full of players with all the gear but no idea? Have we assembled the thickest dressing room in the premier league? I'm not expecting our players to have side jobs as museum curators, but I mean in terms of footballing intelligence. I hope not.

We struggled today against the worst side in the division; if they could have mustered a final pass we were well in the shiit on numerous occasions.

In the summer we need to think about what were doing with the likes of Naughton, Fryers, Rose, Dawson, Holtby, Townsend, Lennon (maybe), Siggy, Chadli etc. These players look very mid-table, a few could be important players for lower half prem teams, but they're not going to take us where we need to go. Granted, some are young but the majority don't look up to it.

We have an overloaded squad with players too similiar in style and quality to establish a proper pecking order. Today proved again that our good strength in depth is a myth: those waiting in the wings aren't good enough.

I liked the idea of an internal appointment when Tim came in but we look almost as bad as we did under AVB. He's had long enough now to mould them into something resembling a decent outfit with a structure and definable playing style. Or has he? Are our better players actually craap? Is Dembele good enough? Paulinho?

It all looks a bit of a mess to me. It makes me sad that we're in this state for the Benfica match. I'm sure they are going to be technically sound and have tactics, shape and philosophy. We're going to have to try and stumble past them like we almost did against Basle last year. And thats really, really disappointing.

One positive to come out of today is that we can all finally give walker credit. He is certainly one of our better players - and importantly one that i think is unlikely to agitate for a move (yet, at least). The Summer was a total disaster and after investing 100 million we've gone backwards. We could have just spent 10 million on Eriksen and come out equally as strong. Put Holtby in the squad in place of Paulinho and we wouldn't be any worse off. Not many teams spend 100 million in order to regress. Welcome to Tottenham Hotspur.

Whats they way forwards? I honestly don't know. We weren't that much better than Cardiff today, after losing to Norwich last time out. Whats most disappointing is when you look at the side we field and the tactics we employ, were actually not that much better than those sides, hence losing/dropping points. Anyone who thinks we're going to come out of march with anything other than a series of crushing defeats must be an eternal optimist. I fear the worst.

We're going to have to have a good summer for a change, or I can only see us slipping further behind. That transfer policy has been woeful. If we had just maintained our level of the past 3 seasons or so we'd be challeging for the league now. Liverpool have just improved their weakest areas, implemented tactics and a philosophy and they are up there. I find it mind boggling how little they have had to do to achieve this. Here we are, totally disfunctional with a caretaker manager going into the business end of the season. I don't think we've played well more than three times in the entire season.

Its going to get worse for us before the shoots of recovery can be seen I'm afraid. How we are currently 5th is a complete mystery to me. The premier league must be as weak as it has been in a long while...

Last edited:

We never seem to play good passes in and around the 18 yard box when an opposition is set. We can do it to an extent on the counter (today's goal for example).

Eriksen and Lamela need to come into the team. Those two, with Ade and Soldado mean we have some footballers out there.

Agreed, that pass at the end was just dreadful, and it led to Cardiff getting a corner.

The premier league table may well mask the truth, but it does not lie. The facts of the matter are that we are six points behind the second placed team and five points ahead of the team in fifth! Yes, the performance was below par, but we won and we won ugly. Cardiff are a team that are fighting for their lives and I seem to remember a few years ago going through an entire season where we struggled to beat any of the teams in the relegation zone. We should also acknowledge that we won with a makeshift defensive line up and Soldado scored his first goal at WHL from open play.

I think we all realise that our performances in March will define our summer transfer dealings, allied with the competitions we will be in next season. We desperately need Walker, Chiriches, Kaboul, Eriksen and Lamela to regain their fitness for our run in.

I didn't think we were as bad as some people are saying.

We started fairly sharply, created some chances and played at a pretty high intensity up until we got the lead I thought, and in the opening 30 minutes we had 9 shots (squawka) including the goal.

After the goal we seemed happy enough to roll the ball around for relatively large parts, considering our injuries and that we had a Thursday game (and our previous results post-EL) I thought that was a decent plan and other than the Caulker header from a corner Lloris rarely looked troubled at all.

Will be massively different against Chelsea of course, but I honestly would like to see Bentaleb reintroduced soon, we miss his passing.

Great to see Soldado get his goal, has been a long time coming and hopefully he can build on this.

Edit: Looking at the line-up one striking thing for me was the amount of average at best footballers. I think arguably Naughton, Dawson, Fryers, Lennon, Paulinho and Townsend all fit that category. Not saying that will always be the case or that we should give up on these players or that they're **** etc. Just that based on performances this season all of those wouldn't look out of place at a mid table club. With Soldado's continuing struggles that's not a super strong side. I think that has to be taken into consideration.

Very good post, blimey a bit of balance and perspective. I disagree on 2 things however 1) paulinho IMO is not just an average player but he is having an average season perhaps as he settles into this league. But I have seen a few glimpses of quality passes and goals to suggest he may become a very good player for us. He just needs to step up. I also think Aaron Lennon is a very good player who is struggling.

I think what today highlighted was that we just aren't very good. The personnel isn't great when everyone is fit, and today when i saw the line up i was pretty disappointed, looked at the bench and din't see much better.

I think that was the weakest Spurs side on paper since Jol's first season. Even then we had passers like Carrick in the team with other technically proficient players like Reto Ziegler and Pedro Mendes. If we field anything resembling that line up against Chelsea or Pool they will brush it aside like the mid-table dross it is.

Even more importantly than results at this stage is the lack of game plan, philosophy, tactics and general intelligence/movement. i was discussing this in the other thread - is Raheem Sterling a more intelligent footballer than Lennon, or is he just better coached? I find it hard to believe that our players just lack footballing instinct of other teams players, but maybe they do?! Have we spent 100's of millions on a team full of players with all the gear but no idea? Have we assembled the thickest dressing room in the premier league? I'm not expecting our players to have side jobs as museum curators, but I mean in terms of footballing intelligence. I hope not.

We struggled today against the worst side in the division; if they could have mustered a final pass we were well in the shiit on numerous occasions.

In the summer we need to think about what were doing with the likes of Naughton, Fryers, Rose, Dawson, Holtby, Townsend, Lennon (maybe), Siggy, Chadli etc. These players look very mid-table, a few could be important players for lower half prem teams, but they're not going to take us where we need to go. Granted, some are young but the majority don't look up to it.

We have an overloaded squad with players too similiar in style and quality to establish a proper pecking order. Today proved again that our good strength in depth is a myth: those waiting in the wings aren't good enough.

I liked the idea of an internal appointment when Tim came in but we look almost as bad as we did under AVB. He's had long enough now to mould them into something resembling a decent outfit with a structure and definable playing style. Or has he? Are our better players actually craap? Is Dembele good enough? Paulinho?

It all looks a bit of a mess to me. It makes me sad that we're in this state for the Benfica match. I'm sure they are going to be technically sound and have tactics, shape and philosophy. We're going to have to try and stumble past them like we almost did against Basle last year. And thats really, really disappointing.

One positive to come out of today is that we can all finally give walker credit. He is certainly one of our better players - and importantly one that i think is unlikely to agitate for a move (yet, at least). The Summer was a total disaster and after investing 100 million we've gone backwards. We could have just spent 10 million on Eriksen and come out equally as strong. Put Holtby in the squad in place of Paulinho and we wouldn't be any worse off. Not many teams spend 100 million in order to regress. Welcome to Tottenham Hotspur.

Whats they way forwards? I honestly don't know. We weren't that much better than Cardiff today, after losing to Norwich last time out. Whats most disappointing is when you look at the side we field and the tactics we employ, were actually not that much better than those sides, hence losing/dropping points. Anyone who thinks we're going to come out of march with anything other than a series of crushing defeats must be an eternal optimist. I fear the worst.

We're going to have to have a good summer for a change, or I can only see us slipping further behind. That transfer policy has been woeful. If we had just maintained our level of the past 3 seasons or so we'd be challeging for the league now. Liverpool have just improved their weakest areas, implemented tactics and a philosophy and they are up there. I find it mind boggling how little they have had to do to achieve this. Here we are, totally disfunctional with a caretaker manager going into the business end of the season. I don't think we've played well more than three times in the entire season.

Its going to get worse for us before the shoots of recovery can be seen I'm afraid. How we are currently 5th is a complete mystery to me. The premier league must be as weak as it has been in a long while...

Mate I love your posts normally but you are being overly negative here. Sherwood is in his first half season between him and AVB we are in 5th place. Rodgers in his first season finished 7th yet this season he is being rightly lauded. You have to factor in that he has a Truly world class player in Suarez whilst we sold ours and couldn't afford to replace him with a similar quality player. On that basis alone I thought Liverpool would have the edge on us this season. I thought the gooners would have the edge based on the Ozil signing. Our first 11 is as good as anyone outside of City and chelscum minus the Suarez and Ozil. Sure we have some weaker players but so have Everton, Liverpool and Arsenal. We are where we should be all factors taken into consideration. Of course this is a big month but if we are still 5th come April and still in EL this will have been a very good season all things considered.

Last edited:

I think that was the weakest Spurs side on paper since Jol's first season. Even then we had passers like Carrick in the team with other technically proficient players like Reto Ziegler and Pedro Mendes. If we field anything resembling that line up against Chelsea or Pool they will brush it aside like the mid-table dross it is. Its going to get worse for us before the shoots of recovery can be seen I'm afraid. How we are currently 5th is a complete mystery to me. The premier league must be as weak as it has been in a long while...

Some of your points have value, but that one doesn't.

My opinion, people keep trying to blame the failure of the unit on individuals, instead of realizing it's the team/tactics/strategy (or lack of) that is killing us

Let's look at personnel, best keeper we have had in forever = Lloris, best RB in a decade or more = Walker, CBs = Dawson has been part of last decade, Vert would be among best, LB = we have had better, Lennon has been part of team for a decade, CM = Eriksen has the promise, but obviously Modric/Carrick were better, DM = Sandro is the best DM I can recall, LW = obviously was Bale, Strikers = Ade/Soldado is probably as good as anything we have had in long time.

Why are we 5th, because our personnel playing half arsed, without any real tactics can still manage to win games, and it's highlighted away from home, where we get just a little more space and the quality shows.

All things considered, could today's performance be put down to A) not having our most creative player available, B) having our 2nd string FBs C) the efforts used on Thursday?

All things considered, could today's performance be put down to A) not having our most creative player available, B) having our 2nd string FBs C) the efforts used on Thursday?

Take Walker, Sandro & Eriksen out of our starting lineup and it hurts us, no question.

That said, we were playing Cardiff, not City/Cheat$ki ...

Thursday we played at home, we also did not play well except for 15 or so very important minutes.

The problem for TS is if you look back over the last 6 or so games, with very little exception, we have played poorly for the majority of it.

Some of your points have value, but that one doesn't.

My opinion, people keep trying to blame the failure of the unit on individuals, instead of realizing it's the team/tactics/strategy (or lack of) that is killing us

Let's look at personnel, best keeper we have had in forever = Lloris, best RB in a decade or more = Walker, CBs = Dawson has been part of last decade, Vert would be among best, LB = we have had better, Lennon has been part of team for a decade, CM = Eriksen has the promise, but obviously Modric/Carrick were better, DM = Sandro is the best DM I can recall, LW = obviously was Bale, Strikers = Ade/Soldado is probably as good as anything we have had in long time.

Why are we 5th, because our personnel playing half arsed, without any real tactics can still manage to win games, and it's highlighted away from home, where we get just a little more space and the quality shows.

I think AE was talking about the line-up today, not our squad overall. No point to including Walker, Rose, Sandro (from the start) and Eriksen in your comparisons.

I agree with AE, our starting line-up today was not strong.

And although I do think we have a very strong squad, that doesn't mean that it's a team/tactics/strategy issue if it's not working on the pitch. Managers spend a lot of time and money on getting specific player types, even specific players, into their teams. Like Redknapp did when he took over. You can compare us player to player to teams in the past, but we have some pretty glaring weakness that makes it difficult for us to apply certain tactics/strategies, perhaps most glaring of all the lack of a proper passer in central midfield unless Bentaleb is on the pitch.

I thought Lennon busted an absolute gut and worked like a trojan today. Its a shame he didn't get an assist or score, but his work rate was immense. I know it's not what we expect of him and he is turning into a Dirk Kuyt, but I still just want to give him credit for at least this. He ran his socks off.

YES!!! It's bizarre people slating him and saying Townsend should start ahead of him!!

I think we have some excellent quality, but I think our squad, though big, is filled with AVERAGE players - Friedel, Naughton, Rose, maybe Fryers (too early to say), Dawson, Towsend, Chadli, Siggurdsson, Kane... I just don't think they're good enough. Our midfield is regularly injured - sandro, capoue, eriksen, lennon, townsend, paulinho all been injured, so that hasn't had much of a rhythm. Ade, can he be trusted?! Hope so, love the guy.

So my big big concern is we've sold our best players for the past few years - Berbatov, Keane, Modric, Bale, King injured. It's meant a huge over turn of players. It's cost us this season. But I sort of feel we're going to need to do it again.... Or maybe we need to stick with the main group and only change a few because a overhaul is difficult to over ride.

It's starting a again, maybe Lloris and Jan will go. Maybe even Sandro. But we should just tell them to **** off. They'll get over it. Liverpool kept Suarez and look at them. Just say NO!

I thought Lennon busted an absolute gut and worked like a trojan today. Its a shame he didn't get an assist or score, but his work rate was immense. I know it's not what we expect of him and he is turning into a Dirk Kuyt, but I still just want to give him credit for at least this. He ran his socks off.

I won't argue he always puts a shift in defensively but that just isn't good enough in my view given how long he has been at the club and how he's seemingly become undroppable. For that reason he may be worth a place in the side against Chelsea but I honestly don't think he's improved that much since 2006, his end product still isn't good enough. I mean people often say he is our most dangerous player when on form but how often/consistently is that?

Well that was 90 minutes of my life I'll never have the fortune of getting back! Utter turgid stuff from start to finish. Just wanted the game to end from the hour mark onwards cos it was clearly ebbing away with us satisfied with a 1-0 win and Cardiff not too down on losing narrowly after getting thumped last week.

There really isn't much to summarise, it was a tedious football match with very, very little quality. We just had that extra bit of quality, but really if that had finished 0-0 no one could have complained.

Gonna email the ficial site demanding for a refund!

I won't argue he always puts a shift in defensively but that just isn't good enough in my view given how long he has been at the club and how he's seemingly become undroppable. For that reason he may be worth a place in the side against Chelsea but I honestly don't think he's improved that much since 2006, his end product still isn't good enough. I mean people often say he is our most dangerous player when on form but how often/consistently is that?

I think when you use a masonry drillbit to drill through steel it doesn't work.

I think Lennon is a fantastic tool who is being used to do the wrong things. We don't use him correctly and a lot of people seem to be under the impression that he is capable of doing things Eden Hazard or David Silva can.

he's not blameless at all. He should be better. Agreed. But we have not utilised him well for sometime now and I always say he is a very decent player given the right service.

*Sorry for the sh*t analogy :lol:

I don't think we were THAT bad today tbh. It's pretty much on par with a lot of the season's performances.

At the start of the season I thought we had one of the best squads in the league. Having a bench containing Chiriches, Capoue, Holtby, Dembele, Ade, Townsend to name but a few is impressive, you have players there who can do a job and in some cases win a game. The problem for me is that those players we expected to be seeing as our starting XI haven't performed. Lamela, Soldado and Paulinho were all expected to be the new darlings of WHL and with their pedigree it wasn't such a far fetched notion. As someone else already noted we have very few players making a stand out contribution and I would agree that some of it comes down to the coaching. We don't look as lost as we did under AVB, but in the last 2-3 games we have started to see both Vertonghen and Dawson struggling to find someone to pass it to.

I do not believe that we have a squad of average players, but I do think we are still lacking quality in the centre of the park and that could be either due to the personel or the system.

At the start of the season I thought we had one of the best squads in the league. Having a bench containing Chiriches, Capoue, Holtby, Dembele, Ade, Townsend to name but a few is impressive, you have players there who can do a job and in some cases win a game. The problem for me is that those players we expected to be seeing as our starting XI haven't performed. Lamela, Soldado and Paulinho were all expected to be the new darlings of WHL and with their pedigree it wasn't such a far fetched notion. As someone else already noted we have very few players making a stand out contribution and I would agree that some of it comes down to the coaching. We don't look as lost as we did under AVB, but in the last 2-3 games we have started to see both Vertonghen and Dawson struggling to find someone to pass it to.

I do not believe that we have a squad of average players, but I do think we are still lacking quality in the centre of the park and that could be either due to the personel or the system.

I must say I noticed this big time on Thursday. In fact even Sandro was very often far more ahead of them than would be expected for a CM. It seems very few were showing for the ball for them. Verts also seemed to often pass responsibility of getting a pass to a player further forward to Dawson; I noticed that after THFCSteff mentioned it post-Norwich.

I think only Eriksen seems to have the confidence atm to seek the ball off the defenders, plus the gap between the cms and the cbs seems often very big and if it changes the gap tends to get even bigger..

TS has to earn his corn and sort these issues out

Back