• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Captaincy

Who should be the First Team Captain for 2012/13

• Younes Kaboul

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Scott Parker

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Luka Modric

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Rafael Van der Vaart

Votes: 37 48.1%
  • Brad Friedel

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • OTHER (Inc current players + potential additions)

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters
Im not convinced Parker is a captain. A for effort, never fault him there, but I dont see him displaying leadership skills, dragging a team through results, showing a calm head in a storm etc - things Id like to see in a captain

I agree, he's a nice guy with a heart not an inspirational captain. He doesn't have the vision nor footballing ability to drag us through games; Parker's skillset is to negate the opposition not to take the game to them. VDV drags us through games and is a matchwinner, he definitely should be our captain.

I agree, he's a nice guy with a heart not an inspirational captain. He doesn't have the vision nor footballing ability to drag us through games; Parker's skillset is to negate the opposition not to take the game to them. VDV drags us through games and is a matchwinner, he definitely should be our captain.

I would like our new captain to be able to play 90 minutes every week and not look knackered after 70 minutes so that rules out VDV

The problem I have with Parker is simply if I were picking the team more often than not I would choose Sandro over him

I would like our new captain to be able to play 90 minutes every week and not look knackered after 70 minutes so that rules out VDV

The problem I have with Parker is simply if I were picking the team more often than not I would choose Sandro over him

Would be my main concern with those two as well.

The problem is the options that leaves us with. Modric isn't anywhere near a vocal leader type, neither is Kaboul, Dawson probably won't be first choice. Fridel? Not going to happen I think seeing as Parker was picked ahead of him as captain last season.

I would say Parker is the best option, but with an understanding that it doesn't mean that he will start every game.

Does no one else think Walker?

He's probably still a bit young, but he's got the passion and energy. Not sure what leadership qualities he has, but he shows that he's a fighter and gets tinkled off at himself whenever he makes a mistake. He has high standards and it seems like he holds the rest of the team to those standards as well. I guess time will tell, but I don't think it would be that absurd in a few seasons.

As far as I recall Parker wasn't made club captain. I know he captained us in a few matches, but I didn't realise he was officially given club captaincy. If that was the case, then why are we even having this discussion? You don't strip someone of the captaincy, and if Redknapp announced Parker was club captain at the beginning of last season then he is again this year.

Club captain is a title we came up with for King, Keane was made team captain as he would play more matches. If King signs a new contract he will still be club captain, but when he doesn't play someone else will get the honour. Being captain really don't matter that much beyond the pre kickoff ceremony. A leader will lead regardless.

Rafa is the obvious leader of our players.

However, I don't like attacking players as captains.

So I'd give it to Verts - seems to be intelligent, articulate and have a winning mentality. Been captain of Ajax for a while.

Kaboul would be my only other thought, but he just doesn't seem to have the right personality.

What exactly is wrong with you? you'd give that captaincy to a player we haven't even signed?

What exactly is wrong with you? you'd give that captaincy to a player we haven't even signed?

In fairness KD, my opening post did say new signings included, and that does leave space for a bit of speculation.

The reason I included it was simply that Vertonghen could be our captain, stranger things have happened.

GB has qualified his statement with Kaboul and Rafa, but has also expressed concerns over them.

In fairness KD, my opening post did say new signings included, and that does leave space for a bit of speculation.

The reason I included it was simply that Vertonghen could be our captain, stranger things have happened.

GB has qualified his statement with Kaboul and Rafa, but has also expressed concerns over them.

It's still silly though tbh mate. Ok i want Vidic to be our captain next season.

Back