• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Canning Town Bingo Club

As I said - look at Bournemouth and Swansea, less money than Everton but most certainly better football. More vision and ambition.

Its not sticking the knife in to say I think he could and should have done better. Built more, developed more. Look at the transformation Pochettino has made in such a short time. He had a vision, ambition, and made it happen - he went into a situation that was a mess and turned it around. And, relatively speaking - right now we are the ones holding back the tide against the big boys. That could have been Everton.

Bournemouth and Swansea though won't spend 10 year in the top flight playing their brand of football I can tell you that now.

Spurs have spent well including players Poch inherited so money does come into it there also.

I get where you are coming from in a romantic way about time spent at a club but you ask Everton fans about the club before Moyes and his 10 years gave them 10 years of being more competitive year in year out than they were for the 10 years before he arrived and he did it under a chairman that pleaded poverty.

I sponsored an event at Blood Brothers and met Bill Kenwright (his company produced if) and he was hugely charming and hugely knowledgeable and he said Moyes did with the lack of investment what alot of other managers could not do.

Its so easy to snear at managers because of style but I would rather take Charlton under Curbs and Bolton under Big same than where they are now............

The issue is you get the sexy managers, Martinez, De Boer and Everton's last manager who try and play sexy football and look what happens? If you play the big boys at their own game without the money to improve the quality of players you get steamed, simple as, its rare that many teams fight fire with fire but what teams like Bolton did against Arsenal of the day was beat them playing a different game. Thats clever and deserves better tags than attritional

Attritional is a perfectly appropriate description for the brand of football you are discussing there.

In terms of Bolton going against Arsenal, where they were completely outclassed, theres nothing wrong with it.

However, when you build a club up to knocking on the top 6 in that style, you are limiting yourself. And so it showed.

He got only so far doing it that way, and then when they were of a certain level he failed to take the next steps.

Which were steps available to him, he just didnt take them.

Bournemouth and Swansea though won't spend 10 year in the top flight playing their brand of football I can tell you that now.

Spurs have spent well including players Poch inherited so money does come into it there also.

I get where you are coming from in a romantic way about time spent at a club but you ask Everton fans about the club before Moyes and his 10 years gave them 10 years of being more competitive year in year out than they were for the 10 years before he arrived and he did it under a chairman that pleaded poverty.

I sponsored an event at Blood Brothers and met Bill Kenwright (his company produced if) and he was hugely charming and hugely knowledgeable and he said Moyes did with the lack of investment what alot of other managers could not do.

Its so easy to snear at managers because of style but I would rather take Charlton under Curbs and Bolton under Big same than where they are now............

No, you cant. Bournemouth and Swansea have already survived playing that way. Why cant they continue?

And look at Bournemouth, their spending - they arent a rich club and yet are able to purchase players to allow them to play more expansive football than Everton ever did. Money is not the issue. It helps, for sure, but its not the limiting factor that defines all.

Look at Leicester, premier league champions with a squad largely made of players that came up from the championship with them.

Look at us, title contenders with such massive outlays as £10m Lloris, £10m Dier, £11 Wanyama, £? Rose and Walker...

A fantastic team can be built on a budget. Great football can be achieved on a budget. It all comes down to the managers ability and ambition.

And, in the case when such unheard of time as 10 years is involved, it is a very fair conclusion to state that that Everton team were the peak of Moyes ability and ambition.

And, personal taste accepted, I hated it.

I have far more respect for Allardyce, by the way, who I think is a very under rated manager. Not good enough for us, but certainly better than he is often credited.

Moyes, for me, is the opposite. People assume he is much better than he really is, IMO.

I think you are also clouded by the times of football, the TV deals and money in the game mean the mid table sides now are not like when Moyes was at Everton. Look at the players Watford and Stoke are able to buy, even Bournemouth are able to spend 100k a week in ages on Defoe, thats not happening 15 years ago

I think you are also clouded by the times of football, the TV deals and money in the game mean the mid table sides now are not like when Moyes was at Everton. Look at the players Watford and Stoke are able to buy, even Bournemouth are able to spend 100k a week in ages on Defoe, thats not happening 15 years ago

Not at all. As I said, the criticisms I make of him here are the ones I made at the time. I havent skewed my view with modern finances.

Because both are going down this season

That is not true. Far too early to say. Hardly conclusive in a conversation like this.

they have stayed up previously when hoof ball defensive clubs have gone down though - you could put Southampton into this group as they try to play proper football (not always successfully last year or this).

Everton, Bolton, Stoke all stayed up with the unfashionable managers mentioned previously though

I was trying to say these managers have one way of playing and I've seen no evidence of them improving their clubs or the players they have. How many of them have brought through young players to reach international level?

David Moist is the worst manager the Spammers could have employed; he sucks so much joy out of football he'd make the grim reaper feel depressed.
Almost guaranteed to get relegated now...

Back