• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Broadband

Steed Train

Clive Wilson
Moving into a new house and looking at getting new broadband e.t.c. set up. Most review sites I have looked at seem to have bad reviews about every provider thats available. Which provider do you use and would you recommend them?

I have BT infinity which is decent and fast but mine drops out every now and then. It seems the best deals are those attached to TV/Phone deals.

Every broadband provider gets bad reviews because ultimately they all use the same exchange which are all managed by Openreach, who are brick. If you pay the extra and can get cable go that way.

Every broadband provider gets bad reviews because ultimately they all use the same exchange which are all managed by Openreach, who are brick. If you pay the extra and can get cable go that way.

No cable available unfortunately

I have a virgin - its very good, reliable and quick. Never fails. Easy to use.

I have a modem - im presuming its through a cable. There is a cable attached to it. Its good very good. Never fails. I dont work for Virgin.

o2, free McAfee,free English call centre,further discounts if you have a mobile with them,will tell you what speeds to expect before you sign up,after being with them for a year they halved the cost of my subscription.

What Boonie said. Choose the cheapest and check the Broadband Speedcheck maps to see what registered speeds your neighbours have. Often there are deals to combine phone and broadband. They either have their own equipment in the exchange or they simply piggyback what BT offers. We use TalkTalk here in Speldhurst but the infrastructure is turd so we get no better than 3.8mb which is woeful. Their customer service is as most are these days. Utter brick. Usually you won't need it. If you are going to be a Sky customer I'd reccommend using them for price, unlimited usage and quality. I get 10mb from them at the office (family home). Talk Talk also sent me a duff router that was cutting out every 10 minutes and made me jump through hoops before my testing of an array of other routers caused no drops. They will be reimbursing me but just don't know it.

I would avoid providers that give you "free" broadband as part of a phone package. If it ever goes wrong (which it will, frequently) their stock answer is "well what do you expect, it's free." I have been with Virgin, through a ADSL modem connected to a BT land line and they have been excellent.

I don't achieve very good speeds (because I'm miles from the one exchange that me and the thousands of others in my town use) but with an upto 2meg line I normally get around 1.4meg which I don't think is too bad. Cable should be coming to my area next year, and I would not hesitate to get the Virgin 50meg fibre optic one. My mate has it and says he has not had a single problem and almost always gets speeds in excess of 45meg.

Jelly & Armenia have it with Be/O2 (same product).

If you're a bit of a techy and would rather use forums than a helpline but also get acces to loads of homebrew firmware, etc go for Be. If you just want the easy option then go for O2.

I download A LOT and Be have never even mentioned the words "Fair usage policy" to me. Plus the cost is very straightforward - their site allows you to add on static IPs etc with a clear cost in front of you.

Just looked at that BE Scara, may consider this when I move house. Do you have your phone with them too?

Jelly & Armenia have it with Be/O2 (same product).

If you're a bit of a techy and would rather use forums than a helpline but also get acces to loads of homebrew firmware, etc go for Be. If you just want the easy option then go for O2.

I download A LOT and Be have never even mentioned the words "Fair usage policy" to me. Plus the cost is very straightforward - their site allows you to add on static IPs etc with a clear cost in front of you.

Yeah thats correct,I too download a lot & have never had any kind of warning,also in the same property/phone line I've had BT & Sky,with BT I got around 5Mbps with Sky barely 1Mbps although after complaining they did get it up to 3Mbps,with o2 I get 18Mbps sometimes drops to 14Mbps around busy times,I also have my home phone with them.

Just looked at that BE Scara, may consider this when I move house. Do you have your phone with them too?

Just broadband, although that's purely laziness. If I could be bothered to switch from BT for the sake of a quid or two a month I would.

Now done some research and it appears I can get Virgin and live basically next door to the telephone exchange

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSSTR

Anyone know much about installation? Its a rented property so any kind of installation will need to be signed off by the Landlord. Do they need to dig a load of garden up for the cables or does it come down the phone line e.t.c.

Now done some research and it appears I can get Virgin and live basically next door to the telephone exchange

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSSTR

Anyone know much about installation? Its a rented property so any kind of installation will need to be signed off by the Landlord. Do they need to dig a load of garden up for the cables or does it come down the phone line e.t.c.

I'm with Virgin, they scratched the surface of my garden (about an inch deep) and laid down a green flexible conduit before running the cable down that. There'll be a small amount of unobtrusive drilling to get the cable into the house (8mm hole or similar) which is sealed afterwards, I'd say it would be a churlish landlord who denied permission for what is in essence a minor home improvement-marginally easier to rent out in future if cable is installed.

What do the cables look like? I've already got two wires that look like sky/virgin cables in the front room that run up the front of the house but there is no visible satellite dish.

Back