• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Brennan Johnson

I thought his control of the ball coming over his shoulder was first class, as was Burnley’s defending.

He’s a good player and was the primary outlet - Kulu found it harder.

He is not a Soldado/Rasiak/Postiga kind of worry as he already offers so much on the wing.

The final step is taking on goal scoring duties but that will come soon.

I thought his control of the ball coming over his shoulder was first class, as was Burnley’s defending.

He’s a good player and was the primary outlet - Kulu found it harder.

He is not a Soldado/Rasiak/Postiga kind of worry as he already offers so much on the wing.

The final step is taking on goal scoring duties but that will come soon.

His issue isn't ability, it's a combination of end product and it feels like (watching him live is different from tv) he doesn't give 100% (kind would be calling him tentative, not so kind, he's not brave)

Burnley game was better re end product, he took it on himself to shoot more, that will improve, taking it a little earlier, learning to place better and/or hit harder, he was more of an outlet for the Porro ball.

He still doesn't really go in for 50/50's, he still can be slow to run back or take his man on (watching him switch sides and have his first half position taken by Gil is telling, regardless of opinion on Gil), lot of improvement possible with him.

14 games, 1 goal, 4 assists, two injuries, coming into a new side, new manager and a system that runs further than he is used to. Add the lack of breaks because of lack.of options and all in all I think he has done tremendously well given the circs. He will be phenomenal for us once we get players back and we get him in 1 on 1 foot races in the channel more often.

His issue isn't ability, it's a combination of end product and it feels like (watching him live is different from tv) he doesn't give 100% (kind would be calling him tentative, not so kind, he's not brave)

Burnley game was better re end product, he took it on himself to shoot more, that will improve, taking it a little earlier, learning to place better and/or hit harder, he was more of an outlet for the Porro ball.

He still doesn't really go in for 50/50's, he still can be slow to run back or take his man on (watching him switch sides and have his first half position taken by Gil is telling, regardless of opinion on Gil), lot of improvement possible with him.
Pretty much fully agree.

Thought he took more responsibility against Burnley with regards to taking players on and trying to make things happen even if not in his ideal "run past someone or in behind" situation.

Good to see. Could be the opponents, but it's something I want to see more of from him. Been a bit too "passive" (backwards passing, easy option) a bit too often for my liking.

To me still quite a way to go for him. But good to see potential positive signs. And he's always a threat if set up in his ideal situation, always someone the opponents have to pay attention to.

Been a bit too "passive" (backwards passing, easy option) a bit too often for my liking.
This is my gripe with every wide player in the league.
The whole team works hard to finally engineer a situation where they can get you the ball, at which point you can either shoot or cross or cut it back or take a man on or switch play or win a throw or corner or freekick or penalty or anything EXCEPT please don't just pass it back to our centre-back to start again.

This is my gripe with every wide player in the league.
The whole team works hard to finally engineer a situation where they can get you the ball, at which point you can either shoot or cross or cut it back or take a man on or switch play or win a throw or corner or freekick or penalty or anything EXCEPT please don't just pass it back to our centre-back to start again.
Someone really should sign Adama Traore. Not us, but someone.

That kind of "fudge it, I'll do it myself" attitude with the dribbling quality to actually do it - but then also end product. That's the difficult, but oh so important player we need to find at some point.

I think Traore is at Fulham?

As for Johnson, I suspect the idea was he would be eased in a little more gently than he has been - he's got a lot of raw talent and there's a lot of people who watch him train daily who say he's a very special player, so its more than likely just a matter of time. I think he could do with a bit more body mass, and his decision making needs to be more instinctive, a sign he's still thinking about the Ange system and not fully assimilated. He has a tendency to run down a blind alley too often for me.

As an aside, prior to Ange, I don't think I'd shown one single emotion watching Spurs on TV in 3 years - now I'm shouting at the screen again, and Johnson is often the recipient of a "get your head up" or a "what are you doing!?"...

If we bring in a rapid German this week he has to model his movement on him, and then his finishing on Kane...

I think Traore is at Fulham?

As for Johnson, I suspect the idea was he would be eased in a little more gently than he has been - he's got a lot of raw talent and there's a lot of people who watch him train daily who say he's a very special player, so its more than likely just a matter of time. I think he could do with a bit more body mass, and his decision making needs to be more instinctive, a sign he's still thinking about the Ange system and not fully assimilated. He has a tendency to run down a blind alley too often for me.

As an aside, prior to Ange, I don't think I'd shown one single emotion watching Spurs on TV in 3 years - now I'm shouting at the screen again, and Johnson is often the recipient of a "get your head up" or a "what are you doing!?"...

If we bring in a rapid German this week he has to model his movement on him, and then his finishing on Kane...
Oh, Fulham. That hadn't stuck with me.

Perhaps Johnson should model his upper body strength on Bale too and he'd be sorted...

Just kidding and I do agree with you. Will take some time if he's too fulfill his potential, but there's definitely potential there. And great to have the feelings back instead of waiting for the games to be over.

Yet seems ange has told him not to look up. It wastes time, that allows the defence to get back into position. He's been told just put the ball into certain areas and it's the attackers job to be there.
there has to be a little logic to that too - namely if he looks up and there's nobody there cos they have hung back on the edge of the box, pull it back... surely?

there has to be a little logic to that too - namely if he looks up and there's nobody there cos they have hung back on the edge of the box, pull it back... surely?

I don't know. Just what johnson has said. According to ally gold.

Yet seems ange has told him not to look up. It wastes time, that allows the defence to get back into position. He's been told just put the ball into certain areas and it's the attackers job to be there.
Sorry, I should have trimmed @Surfless paragraph down a little more......it was the first part I was responding to with my comment.

I'm so desperate for the lad to push on, because I think it's clear he has the ability. But he really needs some confidence in his game. Noticed again a couple of times he could have run in behind his defender, but he'd stand next to him - almost hiding.

Thought it was arguably his worst game for Spurs, was very frustrating.

He's a young lad but so so raw. I can see his pace, movement and ability (touch, driblling) - the kid has the raw materials.

Really does have a fair way to go though. Seems like a "nearly" player in every thing he does - it nearly comes off every time, but doesn't. Makes the wrong decision really often and in this Utd game his final ball was so poor. I think both him and the other wide forward in Ange's system definitely have been instructed not to chase back fully - it's tactical. but in the pressing moments - Johnson looked really half arsed in this game. In contrast to Richy who was pressing with real intent and vigour.

I think he can be a massive player in the future for Spurs, but might do with being taken out of the firing line for a few games -- impact player off the bench? This is of course assuming that we have the troops fit to do this. Hopefully we get Kulu/Maddo back for the brickeh game which will enable this.

I'm so desperate for the lad to push on, because I think it's clear he has the ability. But he really needs some confidence in his game. Noticed again a couple of times he could have run in behind his defender, but he'd stand next to him - almost hiding.
I'm not sure if he's fully fit and not trusting his hamstrings, he was doing it when he first arrived, so we know he can and does do it.

He was playing with the handbreak on.

Tohough he imo mostly played a "standard" game for him given the situations he found himself in. The main difference between better games and this one being that we weren't able to find the kind of service that would release him into space.

Do wonder if he was also perhaps one of those suffering a bit because of injuries. Thought he looked slower to get back than usual. We didn't have a lot of bench options so probably was expected to play the full game and perhaps had to conserve his energy a bit. Both when attacking and defending.

Back