• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bond, Ferdinand,Jordan & Sherwood

Can't help thing the indecision around Sunday's substitutions can be partly put down all the coaches putting their two pennys worth in.

Crazy to have 4 coaches with imput on match days.

Yeah crazy to get 2 of the clubs coaches sat in the stand giving an opinion. HR is a strong manager and will make a decision, if they actually are giving an opinion I'm glad we have a manager who will let others talk. The biggest failures in management are the ones who refuse to change (ie George Graham didn't adapt his tactics for the modern game).

Another thread where the clueless guess.

I could quite easily say Ferdinand and sherwood are the best thing to happen to the club and they are the reason we are top 4. Now I don't have a clue either way, just like the op.

He can have a view. We all saw them when they were working for Setanta. They were all cliches and flimflam.
Put it this way, they would have fudge all chance at getting a job at United or Arsenal.

Put it this way, they would have fudge all chance at getting a job at United or Arsenal.

Ferguson has recruited inexperienced former players to coaching roles before, Brian McClair and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Steve Bould has been taken in under Wenger's wings, worked with youth and his coaching badges, rumoured to be assistant manager next season.
I don't see the problem, it's not like Sherwood and Ferdinand are senior coaching staff at our club.
Ferdinand is hardly involved, guess him being visable at games annoys some people ...
Sherwood is working with youngsters and building experience

All of this has passed into the realms of truism. It is suddenly supposed to be self-evident that the coaches who have gotten us to within a poxy Stoke goal and a nonsense Gallas og of being the 3rd best team in the best league in the world, are, in fact, incompetents.

From back to front. We have a well functioning back 4 - we have conceded fewer goals than Arsenal ffs!! And of the two teams below us who have conceded fewer - Liverpool and Everton - their GD's are 8 and 5 compared to our 23! Kaboul is finally starting to fulfil his potential - nothing at all to do with Bond and Harry at all?. We have Walker winning Young Player of the Year, and who has clearly been brought on well and given a clear brief and style to follow when in the 1st team from the coaches. BAE is suddenly one of the best FB's in the league. And the decision to bring in the terrific Gallas and Friedal have been made to work by making them fit in with an excellent existing team set-up. Am I supposed to find serious coaching flaws here somewhere?

How about the shape of the team in the middle and going forward? When playing well, Bale and Lennon are told to pile forward, Modric told to stay in the middle giving-and-going, pushing-and-running, Parker/Sandro told to keep possession, break up play and protect the back. VDV is told to run around a bit and cause chaos, which is perfect for him - although, his work rate is clearly way up since he arrived, which is presumably 100% down to coaching. And Ade was brought in to cause havoc, score goals and make assists - check/check/check. And the team is set up so that he can do that via the wingers' crosses, via 1-2's with vdV, from little balls down the channel from Modric etc.

Our corners and set pieces have been disappointing of late. But we're not fudging Stoke! That's important, right?? Besides, my understanding is that up until the second half of the season our stats from corners and frees was about normal over the medium-long term. We're on a barren run, that's all. Ade's finishing is frustrating, but if you think that started when he arrived at Spurs you're clueless. Ditto Defoe.

I fail to see the evidence I'm being asked to see.

=D>

Excellent post by chancer.

I don't see any real way fans can evaluate the performance of individual coaches unless through contacts withing the playing or coaching staff at Spurs. For some more experienced coaches that have had time to build a reputation that in time might have converged on something somewhat close to the truth some things might be said, but for those that haven't been coaches for long I can't see how anyone can make comments about their abilities.

Ferguson has recruited inexperienced former players to coaching roles before, Brian McClair and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Steve Bould has been taken in under Wenger's wings, worked with youth and his coaching badges, rumoured to be assistant manager next season.
I don't see the problem, it's not like Sherwood and Ferdinand are senior coaching staff at our club.
Ferdinand is hardly involved, guess him being visable at games annoys some people ...
Sherwood is working with youngsters and building experience

Yes but they're club legends. Ferdinand and Sherwood are just some geezers that happened to play for the club. I'd understand if Ferdinand was at QPR and Sherwood Blackburn.

Agreed.
I would also add that it actually pays to take on 4or5 ex-players with the potential to become good homegrown managers, rather than buying a proven coach for millions, and usually a hefty compensation deal for the ex-club. Remember Ramos!
Even if only one of the five comes good it is still cheaper. Remember Jol was brought in as an assistant to Santini. He done good as far as im concerned.
You can make similar comparisons with players.
Everyone wants to buy em young and promising. Lennon - 1m, Walker - 1m(?).
Even with all the young playera that didnt work out - better than 15m Bentley.

The problem is , we should not be a guinee pig. They may have to " start somewhere " but why us? let them go and be an interms for a couple of days a week at a lower league club.

No evidence that Sherwood is doing well. No ex English pros recently have made good managers, none have made good coaches. They were just your bog standard pundits. " Jobs for the boys ".

This reminds me of the nonesense that used to get talked about Chris Hughton. At one point, he was getting blamed for years of midtable finishes under several different managers, who had several different assistants of their own (apart from Jol). John Gorman, Stewart Housten, that fella who was assistant to Francis whose name I can't even remember! All forgotten about. Hughton was the common thread to all our failures, apparently! Even when it started to go wrong for Jol, it was Hughton along with Comolli and Levy who bore the brunt. Nevermind Hughton was also there when it was going well under Jol. Then off he went to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and did well and is doing well again now at Birmingham. Fact is, like with Hughton, you really have no idea if Sherwood or Ferdinand are any good or not. "They don't like right in the directors box" you wot? And then you have the nerve to say they're thick! :lol:

Agreed.
I would also add that it actually pays to take on 4or5 ex-players with the potential to become good homegrown managers, rather than buying a proven coach for millions, and usually a hefty compensation deal for the ex-club. Remember Ramos!
Even if only one of the five comes good it is still cheaper. Remember Jol was brought in as an assistant to Santini. He done good as far as im concerned.
You can make similar comparisons with players.
Everyone wants to buy em young and promising. Lennon - 1m, Walker - 1m(?).
Even with all the young playera that didnt work out - better than 15m Bentley.

Well it has not worked at any PL club ever, there has never been home grown player, who has gone on to be a good manager.

There is no comparison between Fergie and Redknapp. Fergie has earned the right to bring in who he chooses. Utd can indulge him, if he wants to help out a couple of ex players.

Can't see them sitting in the directors box giving messages on match days.

Well it has not worked at any PL club ever, there has never been home grown player, who has gone on to be a good manager.

There is no comparison between Fergie and Redknapp. Fergie has earned the right to bring in who he chooses. Utd can indulge him, if he wants to help out a couple of ex players.

Can't see them sitting in the directors box giving messages on match days.

Who should bring in assistants and coaches if not the manager?

I some times start to wonder what the players actually do in training. For most of the season we've been truly excellent, and we usually dominate most games. But we seldom win games comfortably, even though we have plenty of possesion and chances.

According to Opta we've had 220 shots on target this season (up to the last game), and we've scored 63 goals. Emirates Marketing Project by comparison has had 227 shots on target and scored 88 goals. I often think that we've made opposing keepers look better than they actually are by poor finishing, and these stats (to some extent) backs up these feelings.

If you look at the corner and free kick stats things get even worse. Stats from March the 24th shows that we had had 124 corners since the last time we scored, and no goals. On sunday we had 19 corners and hardly produced anything at all.
According to the same stats we hadn't scored on a free kick since January the 1st 2011, and a direct free kick since January the 26th 2010!

In the latest edition of the Norwegian Spurs magazine there is an interview with Niko, and at the end he's asked if there is any focus put on dead ball situations in training. His simple answer? "-No."
To this he's asked why, and the answer is: "-I'm not the coach."
"But you do see that there could be a few goals in it?", and the answer is: "-Again, I'm not he coach. I'm just a player doing my job"

All of this leads back to my opening. What do the players, and coaches, actually do in training? Surely they must all be aware of this. I find it truly amazing that a club at such a high level actually don't practise these things much. Is free kicks and corners something players at other clubs train on in their spare time? I think not...

Rumours from the club are that Sherwood is very highly though of and could well get the managers job in time

I dunno about the others but I'd say Joe Jordan is exactly what you need in the dugout to get in the face of the fourth official. And opposition, him going head to head with Gattuso had as much to do with us nudging out Milan last year as Crouchies tap in.

Yeah crazy to get 2 of the clubs coaches sat in the stand giving an opinion. HR is a strong manager and will make a decision, if they actually are giving an opinion I'm glad we have a manager who will let others talk. The biggest failures in management are the ones who refuse to change (ie George Graham didn't adapt his tactics for the modern game).

Apart from when he won us a trophy?

I was waiting for one of these threads, it makes me nostalgic for the "what does Chris Hughton do?" threads that we always used to get when we hit a poor run of form under Jol.

The choice of coaches should be the sole decision of the manager, who should be able to choose whoever they want to support them. If Redknapp left and a new manager and coaching team replaced them, we would have exactly the same thread started when we first had a bad run of results.

Wild speculation and no real proof to your arguments. We've no idea whether they have been good or bad for the club. A lot of what they would do for the club would be behind the scenes.

You can only go off what's out in front of you I guess.

Jordan - Ended Gatusso - win
Ferdinand - Our strikers languished and Pav died a slow tortuous public death whilst he was putting in his input. None of our strikers have improved - fail
Sherwood - Aside from a clerical error in the NextGen he did well for us. Attribute coaching of the kids to Inglethorpe but from results he's done well - win
Bond - The invisible man out the group imo, if we assume that Jordan does most of the coaching then I'm not entirely sure what an assistant manager is for. If its helping with tactics then maybe not so good - not really sure

I some times start to wonder what the players actually do in training. For most of the season we've been truly excellent, and we usually dominate most games. But we seldom win games comfortably, even though we have plenty of possesion and chances.

According to Opta we've had 220 shots on target this season (up to the last game), and we've scored 63 goals. Emirates Marketing Project by comparison has had 227 shots on target and scored 88 goals. I often think that we've made opposing keepers look better than they actually are by poor finishing, and these stats (to some extent) backs up these feelings.

If you look at the corner and free kick stats things get even worse. Stats from March the 24th shows that we had had 124 corners since the last time we scored, and no goals. On sunday we had 19 corners and hardly produced anything at all.
According to the same stats we hadn't scored on a free kick since January the 1st 2011, and a direct free kick since January the 26th 2010!

In the latest edition of the Norwegian Spurs magazine there is an interview with Niko, and at the end he's asked if there is any focus put on dead ball situations in training. His simple answer? "-No."
To this he's asked why, and the answer is: "-I'm not the coach."
"But you do see that there could be a few goals in it?", and the answer is: "-Again, I'm not he coach. I'm just a player doing my job"

All of this leads back to my opening. What do the players, and coaches, actually do in training? Surely they must all be aware of this. I find it truly amazing that a club at such a high level actually don't practise these things much. Is free kicks and corners something players at other clubs train on in their spare time? I think not...

Back