• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Blatter wants no more pens

If it gets to end of extra time and all square need to somehow e able to reward the win to the team who actually went for the win and not the team that sat back and wanted penalties? Shots on target within extra time? Both teams would go for the win and doubt it would ever end all square

To be able
To do
That youd have to put a foot in and gain possession from the opposition not just put ten men behind the ball in your own half like Chelsea did. fudge it easier route would just be ban Chelsea from all cup competitions?

I've seen a suggestion of taking corners instead of penalties. Having say 5 players from each team involved so making it a test of defending and attacking. Might go on for a while.

I actually like the sound of this. It sounds far more tactical than penalties, plus then we might actually practise them.

Mm, as for those suggesting additional extra time, I am not sure the players could physically cope with it.

Is a half-hit dribble shot straight at the keeper (so on target) worth more than a screamer that comes off the post with the keeper beaten (so is off target)? Just always wondered about the usefulness of the on/off target stat.

You can't discriminate against Peter Crouch

I actually like the sound of this. It sounds far more tactical than penalties, plus then we might actually practise them.

Mm, as for those suggesting additional extra time, I am not sure the players could physically cope with it.

Corners would just play straight into the hands of teams like Stoke.

First 15 mins of extra time should be 8 men

Next 15 mins of extra time should be 5 men

If still no winner, shoot everyone in the ground.

As a neutral, I love watching penalty shoot outs. Bloody scary if it's your own team (or bayern) involved though.

I think we should keep penalties as they are unless someone thinks of something truly genius to replace them.

I suggested something similar to this in a previous incarnation of the thread.

I thought it would be better to go to 9, 7 and then 5 players every 10 minutes

at 5 a side on a full pitch someone is bound to score.

if not, at the 30 minute point go to golden goal remaining at 5 a side, maybe with running substitutes.

In keeping with your last suggestion, maybe extra time could be conducted with the players in Its a Knockout style costumes, and the crowd can fire water/custard cannons at the players.

View attachment 636

Every 5 minutes one of the player's mums turns up and calls them in for their dinner.

I like the taking players off idea but feel it would just force team to get more defensive.
So the team who was more defensive in the last 5 minutes get the player taken off and the other team stay with the same number.
That should force teams to attack.

Every team will need a Lennon/Walcott/some other pace merchant on their bench to throw on in extra time to run with the ball.

I didn't mind the golden goal. Stopped teams from going all out defending
Actually, teams were even more defensive in those days. They were terrified of letting a goal in because there was no way back.

I rather like the idea of reducing the number of players on the pitch in extra time if chances are to be made. I don't think penalties is such a bad way to decide a game though. It is not the lottery all people make it out to be. It takes players with a cool head, qualitiy when it comes to striking the ball and having a good keeper to win. It is definitely not luck.

I think the rule they should be looking at first is the way goals rule. I have never understood it. It is not a fair way of deciding a match. It is not as if the team who has scored the most goals away is necessarily better than the team that has scored teh most goals at home.
I think the idea of the rule is to encourage teams to be more attacking when playing away, but it doesn't work that way. Teams playing away from home are cautious anyway. What it does is making the teams playing at home more cautious because they are scared of letting in a costly away goal for the opposition. I think if that rule is removed, we will see more positive football.
We should go straight to extra time instead. And penalties is a much more fair way of deciding a match than by away goals. They could just as well decide matches the way they did when I played cup tournaments as a kid. If a game ended with a draw, the team with the most corners won. That makes just as much sense as the away goals rule.

Golden Goal all the way, IMO. Winning on penalties proves nothing. The fact that Bayern lost a FOOTBALL cup because of a bloody penalty shoot-out where you don't actually play football, is a massive joke

In my memory the opposite happened. Teams were so scared of conceding the Golden Goal they sat back and did not attack and waited for pens. This is why they took the Golden goal away.

I hate pens, would rather have a run from the halfway line, a bit like Hockey. At least that takes a bit more skill.

But if they did away with Pens that would not happen.

They should just keep playing until someone scores simple as. They do it in NHL hockey playoffs. Eventually a team would tire or cramp up etc.. I don't think the games would go that much longer because teams would actually try and score to end the game rather than stalling and playing for pens.

(Greece would hate this)

It's not fair, because penalty shoot-outs aren't football, and when cup finals are decided on a mini-game that isn't even football, it can't be right.

Back