• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Blatter wants no more pens

Penalties are much more about luck than ability - the keeper pretty much guesses which way to go.

A talented, confident player with a cool head should never not score on a 1:1; whereas a bottler will always struggle.

A talented, confident player with a cool head should never not score on a 1:1 like a penalty situation yet ronaldo, messi, robben and even rvp have missed this season.

see my point?

running from the halfway line is not solving the problem and simply adds distance to a 1 on 1 situation. the underlying factor will still be luck and we need to move away from it.

Bring on temporary goals, shorten the pitch and play 5 a side for 20 minutes, with rolling subs from the 11 who were playing at the end.

Bring on temporary goals, shorten the pitch and play 5 a side for 20 minutes, with rolling subs from the 11 who were playing at the end.

have blatter, platini, beckenbauer and faria alam on a revolving chair and get each team to sing consecutively. the team that gets the most judges on their side wins.

i think the halfway line idea makes it to easy for the attacker, also what happens if the keeper fouls the attacker?

its also worth noting that statistically (according to the football ramble) the team that was favourite for the game before kick off tend's to win the shootout and that applying research/tactics to the shootout massively increases the likelihood of success, so its not as much of a lottery as people think

some very good info on the below sites

http://thegameisafoot.weebly.com/1/post/2012/01/penalty-shootouts-lottery-or-not-ery.html
http://www.penaltyshootouts.co.uk/

Just for the record my opinion is that it's golden goal all the way with no chance of pens, quite simply you have to attack at some point to have a chance of winning & this way football is played in it's most normal form.

We might be missing each other here. Which one of the 2 are you referring to?

The last one the big girl with black hair buddy but even the geordie "model" before wasn't the best, i'd have stuck with Burke ahead of them two.

Should make them run from the halfway line for a one on one with the keeper, ice hockey style

Funny how Mr anti english platini suddenly brings this up when the germans lose on penalties
The English are brick at penalties (even with Chelsea's win the other week) - a change of rules would benefit us!

Just for the record my opinion is that it's golden goal all the way with no chance of pens, quite simply you have to attack at some point to have a chance of winning & this way football is played in it's most normal form.

TV would never agree to it - it could ruin their precious scheduling for a whole day/night.

Golden goal was dropped because it had the reverse effect to was intended - teams became extra cautious.

Agree with this, i played in the States in the early 80's and the dribble from the half way line was used to decide games then. You had to take it from the half way line and get your shot off in a certain time.

If it's not settled after 120 minutes, how about ....

The goalkeeper is not allowed to use his hands during another extra five minutes each way ...Penalties as they're now, take about ten minutes anyway. I think the goalies being unable to handle the ball during this extra ten minutes play would provide more excitement .. Fans are happier and so too are the TV companies.

If its not settled by then ... Sudden death penalties ...

They haven't been abolished yet and there's one about to take place right now at Wembley. For the neutral it's great entertainment.

I think the ones about a one-on-one hockey style from the halfway line is a good alternative. You reduce the amount of "luck" involved (as in guess the left/right/center), and it would be more entertaining as there are more factors involved so more can go wrong. You can still miss after rounding the keeper, I've seen it done, and there has to be skill involved. Would not be as "football" as a golden goal until infinity, but much better than a penalty. I mean anybody, literally anybody can score a penalty by sheer luck, but you have to be very good to round the likes of Schmeichel et al, even nowadays.

It still wouldn't give Spurs an advantage though, as we have a shoddy reputation at one on ones. :)

Back