• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Black Lives Matter

Regarding the upgraded murder charge against Chauvin; by playing to the gallery in this way, haven't prosecutors substantially increased the risk of him walking?

(little-no knowledge of US legal system by the way)
The lesser initial charge is a typical play to start the ball rolling, is what I read. I saw comments from the prosecutors pushing back on the pressure to expedite matters. I would say they are handling this case as the live grenade it is. I'll see if I can find where I read that.

edit: can't find where I initially read that now but a chap called Ellison is the prosector and he's making the right noises about due diligence.
https://outline.com/UChGdk

Last edited:
The British actually did a lot to try and wipe the caste system in India, which was horrific.
Their motives are open to debate.
There are oppressed all over the world, always have been, the masses are finally waking up to it and that it shouldn't be and does not need to be that way.
If, and I think this is big if, we as a species can realise that our only real hope is each other regardless of race, colour, creed or whatever other division we create in our minds.
Because ultimately that is what it is, man made divisions. Divisions stoked and perpetuated by those at the top with the most to lose.

I can not believe we still have to talk about the slave trade. I have always thought racism is wrong and not to be PC either but and the are ones on this very website who think British people should still be blamed for things that happened over a 100 years ago.

Mental.

I can not believe we still have to talk about the slave trade. I have always thought racism is wrong and not to be PC either but and the are ones on this very website who think British people should still be blamed for things that happened over a 100 years ago.

Mental.

100 years is slightly more than one lifetime. The institutions responsible still exist. They hold the blame and will do forever, this is the point.

Your dismissal is mental.

Mental.

Personally I think it's counter productive and shifts focus away from the issues of here and now.
You will turn off the people that need to be swayed if you repeatedly chastise them for something that they had nothing to do with, know little about and can't relate to.

100 years is slightly more than one lifetime. The institutions responsible still exist. They hold the blame and will do forever, this is the point.

I 100% agree we have to reflect on our past and unravel what has lead from then to today.

However there is another side to this. Unless you are a descendant of nobility or the royal family you are just as much of a pawn of the system as anyone? I will give you an example, I can trace my ancestors back to poverty and squaller in Britain during the height of the global slave trade, probably living off boiled potatoes, they like the vast majority of white Britain were a product of the system, if you looked into the numbers it would be a small concentration of Britain that actually have a hand in it, even less a number who authorised it.

That is not me writing history or trying to glaze over it, but a whole race is not individually accountable for this part of history anymore than the Italians are for the death of Jesus or all Germans are for the Holocaust.

The point I am trying to make is if we keep looking back we won't look forward, if we keep looking back at the international slave trade there will never be an end to the anger as it will always evoke angry emotions.

Your point "They hold the blame, they will forever" yes there will be blame to attach but the point forever lends itself to their never being an end, never enough apologies, never enough soothing and holding people who want to move forward, who are not racist who want an integrated society accountable for actions they had no control over.

We are all products of a past, we are all here in this generation as part of a path we had no control over, its what we do now that makes a difference.

Last edited:

The slave trade was obviously wrong does that even need to be said but how is me a 53 year old man to blame or even my father were he alive he would be 81. Or hell my grandfather who i am not sure how old he would be.

I believe Cameron when he was prime minister went and opened a statue in Bristol saying how wrong the past was and rightly so.

Would also like to add me and the wife went to Gambia a couple of years ago, i spoke about it on here. Lovely country and we went on a day trip to the slave island. It is very sad what happened there and racism is totally wrong today but when people go on about the evil of the empire i got to say i switch off. I think a lot of other people do as well.

The slave trade was obviously wrong does that even need to be said but how is me a 53 year old man to blame or even my father were he alive he would be 81. Or hell my grandfather who i am not sure how old he would be.

I believe Cameron when he was prime minister went and opened a statue in Bristol saying how wrong the past was and rightly so.

Would also like to add me and the wife went to Gambia a couple of years ago, i spoke about it on here. Lovely country and we went on a day trip to the slave island. It is very sad what happened there and racism is totally wrong today but when people go on about the evil of the empire i got to say i switch off. I think a lot of other people do as well.

I'm not suggesting you or any other 'every day' people are to blame, that's your comment, not mine.

I'm suggesting the institutions in place are to blame and that's it's the job of 'every day' people like you and I to acknowledge that point and demand more from the people who are 'in charge' of things. The people who are supposed to serve us all.

Dismissing it, claiming it should be resigned to history is being complicit in the original wrongdoing and prejudice. To say you just switch off, well sorry but fudge that, you are to blame in that instance. Did you even read the article I posted earlier?

I 400% agree we have to reflect on our past and unravel what has lead from then to today.

However there is another side to this. Unless you are a descendant of nobility or the royal family you are just as much of a pawn of the system as anyone? I will give you an example, I can trace my ancestors back to poverty and squaller in Britain during the height of the global slave trade, probably living off boiled potatoes, they like the vast majority of white Britain were a product of the system, if you looked into the numbers it would be a small concentration of Britain that actually have a hand in it, even less a number who authorised it.

That is not me writing history or trying to glaze over it, but a whole race is not individually accountable for this part of history anymore than the Italians are for the death of Jesus or all Germans are for the Holocaust.

The point I am trying to make is if we keep looking back we won't look forward, if we keep looking back at the international slave trade there will never be an end to the anger as it will always evoke angry emotions.

Your point "They hold the blame, they will forever" yes there will be blame to attach but the point forever lends itself to their never being an end, never enough apologies, never enough soothing and holding people who want to move forward, who are not racist who want an integrated society accountable for actions they had no control over.

We are all products of a past, we are all here in this generation as part of a path we had no control over, its what we do now that makes a difference.

So name me something truly impactful that's been done by leadership of this country to help acknowledge the wrong of the past and outlines clearly how to move forward.

So name me something truly impactful that's been done by leadership of this country to help acknowledge the wrong of the past and outlines clearly how to move forward.
How about making this country one of the most tolerant and open to everyone in the western world?

What would be impactful, what would ease the pain? That for me is the major question, I asked it yesterday? I mean this respectfully truly

I'm not suggesting you or any other 'every day' people are to blame, that's your comment, not mine.

I'm suggesting the institutions in place are to blame and that's it's the job of 'every day' people like you and I to acknowledge that point and demand more from the people who are 'in charge' of things. The people who are supposed to serve us all.

Dismissing it, claiming it should be resigned to history is being complicit in the original wrongdoing and prejudice. To say you just switch off, well sorry but fudge that, you are to blame in that instance. Did you even read the article I posted earlier?

What institutions though? Tell me and what they do wrong and i wont use them again.

Some years ago on here @milo was linking articles about the poor treatment of Indian immigrants in Dubai. I changed my mind on the place and swore i would never go there. I dont buy nike products because of their poor treatment of their staff.

I was under the impression all political parties were trying to get more ethnic students into university and i will agree more needs to be done to lower the black prison population or make it a truer percentage of the general population.

I would class the black prison population a poverty problem i think those two issues are linked.

If you can show me an employer who discriminates against ethnic people then i will happily boycott them.

Yes i read the article. I emphasize with the pain she has. But if you want me to listen, give me specific instances and also ideas to back.

Im a doing person and i like people that do things rather than talk.

Would be happy and would not even wuestoon voting for a black or ethnic prime minister. Well as long as they hate the EU i would.

Im sure they apologised i know they did to the Irish for the troubles and again rightly so.

Your next bit is the crucial bit, how to move forward. That i dont have an answer to. It seems to have worked to a degree with india as the empire did some horrific things there but the is not quite the same animosity.

I honestly think trade with Africa and helping to raise the living standard can help improve life for Africans. As for people of African or Caribbean descent i think stronger legislation to make sure discrimination is stamped out.

Maybe full public independent enquiries into every death in custody and independent reviews into stop and search numbers.

See that women writing that article did not say this. If she did i could support her. Im not trying to sound harsh but if people just moan i switch off and i know many others do the same.

The slave trade goes a lot further back than the British empire, in fact before "Britain" existed.
And it wasn't just white people.
African president talking about black people living in fear, yes, including in predominantly black African countries.
There are a lot of brick people in this world, they come in all sizes, colours, sexes and creeds.
Pushing all the worlds ills, past, present and future onto one set of them is not an answer.

"African president"? Which of the 54 African countries are you referring to?

The appalling Idi Amins of this world learnt from their colonial "masters".

The British actually did a lot to try and wipe the caste system in India, which was horrific.
Their motives are open to debate.
There are oppressed all over the world, always have been, the masses are finally waking up to it and that it shouldn't be and does not need to be that way.
If, and I think this is big if, we as a species can realise that our only real hope is each other regardless of race, colour, creed or whatever other division we create in our minds.
Because ultimately that is what it is, man made divisions. Divisions stoked and perpetuated by those at the top with the most to lose.

Mate.
There is a form of "caste system" in most countries.

Divide and conquer is real, yes. So is racism. Difficult balance to fight both equally, and I feel there is a lot of divide and conquer right now.
Ultimately we are in a class war and the upper few are managing to keep billions fighting each other...but we have to stand against racism too. In a real way. Not (IMO) silly black squares as we sip lattes!

Back