• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best smart TV device

Spursman

Neil Sullivan
Hi,

As you know i cant get a strong enough signal with an indoor aerial for freeview. Not getting sky or virgin.

So for the TV that i have in the bedroom (which isnt a smart TV) i was thinking of getting one of the devices where i cant watch catch up TV.

I dont want any subscriptions or contracts. Just a one off purchase.

I have looked at Chromcast, Roku but is there anything else? which one is the best?

Hi,

As you know i cant get a strong enough signal with an indoor aerial for freeview. Not getting sky or virgin.

So for the TV that i have in the bedroom (which isnt a smart TV) i was thinking of getting one of the devices where i cant watch catch up TV.

I dont want any subscriptions or contracts. Just a one off purchase.

I have looked at Chromcast, Roku but is there anything else? which one is the best?
If you know what you are doing, raspberry pi with xbmc installed.

does it have to be all in one, if you have a tablet or a computer you could sling it via an Apple TV or chrome cast

If you know what you are doing, raspberry pi with xbmc installed.

That really needs the right back end to work properly though. AFAIK 4OD doesn't work since they started requiring a login, and iPlayer can be flakey.

If you have an HTPC then RaspBMC is your best solution by far.

I just googled Chromecast.. so you can mirror your laptop/phone/tablet to the TV. So for 30 quid I can stream (mirror) Spurs games onto the TV without needing to HDMI my laptop into the TV?

The website also shows it works with BT Sport, Netflix etc. as well, but I am assuming this is all separate right? This assumes you have a Netflix or BT Sport subscription, they are not offering all these subscriptions via some amazing benefit of choosing Google?

nah, its just from your chrome browser on your tv via hdmi (and usb for power)

you do get 3 months now tv if you buy direct from google i think

Have you looked at a now TV box from Sky? It's £10 and is basically a modified version of the basic Roku. I got one for my mum so she could watch catchup TV and it works fine. You can also set up a plex media server and strean from that to the TV.

Last edited:
you are right no 4od or BBC iplayer - if you want live TV there is CATCHUPTV otherwise just use icefilms and only watch decent shows.

chromecast is a brilliant bit of kit for just 30 quid, tab and desktop streaming through the chrome browser is most excellent

With Chromecast, it can just send whatever you're seeing in Chrome to the TV? What are the apps needed for?

Back