• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best season of football you saw a spurs player have?

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
Im going for gazza in the 90/91 season, the best i have ever seen a spurs player play in one season, he just looked like he would win us a game as soon as he walked on the pitch. Hoddle is still the best i have ever seen play for us but he was just top drawer where as that season gazza had after the world cup think it was the high point of his career.

Second place goes to clive allen for the 87/88 season, the goals will get all the plaudits of course but it was the pressure he had as the lone striker, he had a lot of talent behind him and i wonder if i could have scored goals with that midfield behind me but he still had to put the ball in the back of the net. The fact that we won nothing that season will always amaze me.

Gareth Bale 12/13??? the way he is going this could go down as one of the great seasons of any player in a spurs shirt, he has pretty much won us the last 3 games and the way he is playing is just out of this world. I hope we can win the europa league now and before i never really cared for it but he deserves it. That of get 4th or even 3rd because these days that is almost like winning the cup used to be.

Any other great stand out seasons by a player that i have missed?

Remember Klinsman and ossie both being great players but not a season where they just seemed to carry the whole club.

Ginola 98/99. I only ever saw 2 games with Gazza in a spurs shirt so I can't chose him. Klinsman was great, but Ginola was a shining light in a pile of mud.

Martin Chivers during the 1971-72 season.

25 First Division Goals, 11 UEFA Cup goals and 7 in the League Cup.

All told, he scored 44 times in 61 appearances for Spurs, plus his goals for England.

Gascoigne 90/91
Lineker 91/92
Klinsmann 94/95
Ginola 98/99
Bale 12/13
Berbatov 06/07
Sullivan 00/01

Bale's season isn't finished though, still got time to improve even further

Gazza 90/91 is a good shout but I remember the Clive Allen season of 86/87 (sorry chich a year out). Every game you just expected him to score and he ended the season with 49 goals and both player of the year awards. He played the lone role well and it helped to have a fantastic midfield behind him.

Chris Waddle in 88/89? That was my first year watching football so don't remember anything but in recent weeks I have seen people talking about Bale as having that kind of season. A slight positional change that allowed freedom on the field and the player really shone.

Otherwise, Gazza on the FA Cup run. He was amazing.

Im going for gazza in the 90/91 season, the best i have ever seen a spurs player play in one season, he just looked like he would win us a game as soon as he walked on the pitch. Hoddle is still the best i have ever seen play for us but he was just top drawer where as that season gazza had after the world cup think it was the high point of his career.

Second place goes to clive allen for the 87/88 season, the goals will get all the plaudits of course but it was the pressure he had as the lone striker, he had a lot of talent behind him and i wonder if i could have scored goals with that midfield behind me but he still had to put the ball in the back of the net. The fact that we won nothing that season will always amaze me.

Gareth Bale 12/13??? the way he is going this could go down as one of the great seasons of any player in a spurs shirt, he has pretty much won us the last 3 games and the way he is playing is just out of this world. I hope we can win the europa league now and before i never really cared for it but he deserves it. That of get 4th or even 3rd because these days that is almost like winning the cup used to be.

Any other great stand out seasons by a player that i have missed?

Remember Klinsman and ossie both being great players but not a season where they just seemed to carry the whole club.

Spot on for me.

And both of those first two had a real hint of disappointment about theie endings. Gazza literally took us to the final with his goals in that cup run. Didnt he score at Portsmouth with only one shoe on?
Only to get us to the final and get too fired up and not enjoy the win on the pitch.
Clive Allen - really thought when he got that early goal he would go on to get that landmark 50th. Plus for all his exploits in that season, he was not rewarded with a trophy.

Honourable mentions as well to Klinsmann 94/95. What a honour to see a player like that wearing our shirt. Easy money on a match day (1st goalscorer) and also to Berbatov in his first season with us, despite how it all ended, you cannot deny how amazing he was, with the help of Robbie.

Re "Berbatov with the help of Robbie". I do think that Robbie Keane is rather dismissed by this forum these days. He was a massive player for us for several years-over 250 appearances, over 100 goals (if Wikipedia is correct!). For several years many of us thought of him as being totally, totally Spurs, and were proud he played for us. People are quick to forget his contribution to getting us away from mid-table mediocrity towards the upper echelons of the Premier League.

Martin Chivers during the 1971-72 season.

25 First Division Goals, 11 UEFA Cup goals and 7 in the League Cup.

All told, he scored 44 times in 61 appearances for Spurs, plus his goals for England.

+1, Greaves in 1963 wasn't bad either, oh and Hoddle in any season.

Re "Berbatov with the help of Robbie". I do think that Robbie Keane is rather dismissed by this forum these days. He was a massive player for us for several years-over 250 appearances, over 100 goals (if Wikipedia is correct!). For several years many of us thought of him as being totally, totally Spurs, and were proud he played for us. People are quick to forget his contribution to getting us away from mid-table mediocrity towards the upper echelons of the Premier League.

Totally agree. Unfortunately for Robbie, his move to Liverpool tarnished him in the eyes of a lot of Spurs fans. I certainly dont deny is was disappointing that he left, always thought he would finish his career with us, but I wont forget the contribution he made while at the club, certainly the record books wont.

I was gutted we didnt make the United home game as I believe he was introduced to the crowd at HT. Hope he got a decent reception

Another vote for Gascoigne 90/91.

Tbh Bale has been getting better as the season has been going on, but wasn't exceptional before xmas (in fact Lennon probably had a better alround first half of the season)

I'm 28 so Gazza was just before my time. I remember us beating Arsenal at Wembley and my Dad being over the moon, but don't remember the game or anything else from that season.

I'd have to go for Klinsmann in 94/95

Chris Waddle in 88/89? That was my first year watching football so don't remember anything but in recent weeks I have seen people talking about Bale as having that kind of season. A slight positional change that allowed freedom on the field and the player really shone.

Otherwise, Gazza on the FA Cup run. He was amazing.

Agree that was a phenomenal season for Chris. He pretty much single-handedly transformed a team of relegation-battlers (only one win in ten at the start of the season) into a top six side.

Ginola 98/99. Anything else was before my time and I can't pick Gazza as I only saw the semi and the final of the FA Cup of our games that season, I have no idea what he was like for the rest of that season.

Back