• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best film of the 80s - QF4 - Trading Places v the Blues Brothers

Which film is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would probably be*,

Jurassic Park
Goodfellas
Reservoir Dogs
The Big Lebowski

So, yes better than our final four here, but possibly not the four it should have been.

*Unless we let GG vote on it.

The Big Lebowski is on Film 4 tomorrow night if anyone is behind on their viewing and hasn't watched it this year

Would probably be*,

Jurassic Park
Goodfellas
Reservoir Dogs
The Big Lebowski

So, yes better than our final four here, but possibly not the four it should have been.

*Unless we let GG vote on it.

I'd be crying at that, how Heat or The Matrix could be left out... But then yeah, we've hacked the 80's selection already :D

Blues Brothers is a better crafted film than Trading Places. It deploys a mixture of musicians and comedians skilfully enough to disguise the lack of serious acting chops in the cast. Lots of material was discarded, what was used is carefully selected, and the result is well balanced and paced. It's fundamentally silly and the music is not to my taste, but that's by the by.

Trading Places indulges its cast too much and it loses its way as soon as the leads start to cooperate. It's just not that good.

This whole exercise has been very depressing. I'm going to save a splenetic rant about 80s cinema for the final. The winner will deserve both barrels.
Well written bollox.

I don't agree with that. I've enjoyed the TV series but they fall short of the brilliance of the film.

Much more room to tell better stories in more depth. The new golden age of telly is a wondrous thing.

I was wrong to say that Fargo was unique in that respect. The Pink Panther cartoons were much better than the films. No Sellers.

Much more room to tell better stories in more depth. The new golden age of telly is a wondrous thing.

I was wrong to say that Fargo was unique in that respect. The Pink Panther cartoons were much better than the films. No Sellers.

10+ hours will let you do that, we are not comparing like with like

I'm happy to do a best of the 90s, once this is over, if there is a demand. Please don't tell Bullet though.

Until reasonably recently, TV hasn't had comparable budgets

True. The cash sloshing around TV these days is astonishing. And the creativity. Netflix just chucks things like Maniac over the fence on the offchance that people might like it. It’s a zillionth of their overall budget, a quirky punt,but they can pay Emma Stone and Sonoya Mizuno to amuse them, which to be fair is exactly what I’d do if I had that much cash.

True. The cash sloshing around TV these days is astonishing. And the creativity. Netflix just chucks things like Maniac over the fence on the offchance that people might like it. It’s a zillionth of their overall budget, a quirky punt,but they can pay Emma Stone and Sonoya Mizuno to amuse them, which to be fair is exactly what I’d do if I had that much cash.

I'l agree the TV series is better if they get Goldblum in the next one

Would no be a good time to admit to really fancying Emma Thompson in the Tall Guy?

Back