• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best cover song

Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man
Mott The Hoople - All the Young Dudes

are famously better than the Dylan and Bowie originals. Harry Nilsson's Without You compared to the Bandfinger original too.

Personally I really like Ian Brown's version of Billie Jean

Last edited:
Pretty similar to the original, and unknown outside of Norway I suppose, but late Norwegian guitarist Marius Müller once recorded a beautiful live version of Little Wing, IMO. Especially the solo part.

Spotify link:

Always really liked the Mad World cover from Donnie Darko, by Gary Jules.

See I don't like that one. I think the Tears for Fears one is much superior.

I think in general I don't like electronic-y songs that are stripped down and used on Late Capitalism adverts. Iron and Wine's version of Postal Service's Such Great Heights is another example there.

Continuing on a theme of better versions of Bob Dylan songs - I really like Magnet's Lay Lady Lay

Last edited:
If it's a cover that was better than the original, then the only answer is All Along The Watchtower.

A few I like that aren't mentioned so far from memory:

Corey Taylor - Wicked Game
Foo Fighters - Down in the Park
Guns n Roses - Live and Let Die
Guns n' Roses n- Buick Mackane/Big Dumb Sex
Talking Heads - Take Me To The River
Feeder - Can't Stand Losing You
Dead Sara - Heart Shaped Box
Tina and Ike Turner - Proud Mary
Elastic Heart - Wolves
Youth in Revolt - Royals

This isn't exactly a cover but worthy of a mention. Got to see them both perform it live recently!

You twunts need to tell us who sang the original. It's no good just blurting out a song and artist from any genre across 100 years of music.

I've no idea about half of these.

I often prefer the first version I hear... so I'll hear a song and think it's a great song, truly original... then 20 years later realise it is a cover!

What springs to mind are the covers on the live Nirvana album:
Where did you sleep last night (Leadbelly)
The man who stole the world (Bowie)
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam (Vaselines)
Lake of Fire (Meat Puppets)
Also Son of a gun (Vaselines) but actually the original was pretty epic back in the day

Also Just like Heaven by the Cure, covered by Dinosaur Jr. That is an absolute scorcher.

Back