• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best album of the 90s

Grooverider - Mysteries of Funk

This one annoyed me, as I remember thinking how bad this album was whilst loads of more talented dnb producers weren't getting album deals.....but it reminded me of one huge omission in these lists:

Goldie - timeless

A truly classic and groundbreaking record

This one annoyed me, as I remember thinking how bad this album was whilst loads of more talented dnb producers weren't getting album deals.....but it reminded me of one huge omission in these lists:

Goldie - timeless

I liked Grooveriders stuff -- but I was mainly into the darker stuff, Andy C and others @ Ram Records, Ed Rush and Optical. Also liked the Bristol lot, Dj Die, Krust, Roni Size. Loved DnB back then.

I used to be really into music, and had thousands of records (I worked in the music biz and was a dnb/breakbeat dj)

There are only two records I've ever taken back to the shop:
Rage against the machine - it was just too angry and had no music (imo)
Madonna - erotica - was dreadful!

There are some uncool albums I'd like to suggest:

White ladder - David Gray
Stars - simply red
Jamiroquai - emergency on planet earth

And some albums that most of you wouldn't have heard of, but I recommend highly:

Brooklyn funk essentials - cool and steady and easy
Pressure drop - elusive
James Taylor quartet - in the hand of the inevitable
D*note - coming down
Skunkhour - skunkhour
Freak power - drive thru booty
Brand new heavies - brother sister

None of these is going to win a poll, but if you want some inspiration to try something new, I highly recommend them

I liked Grooveriders stuff -- but I was mainly into the darker stuff, Andy C and others @ Ram Records, Ed Rush and Optical. Also liked the Bristol lot, Dj Die, Krust, Roni Size. Loved DnB back then.

Me too. I was lucky enough to work in that industry with some of those guys. Ray Keith was the nicest guy in that scene. Some of the raves back in the day were so good!

But as an album artist, I thought grooverider was pretty limited...

Goldie - timeless

Interesting stuff...I loved his Radio 1 mixes with Fabio, and was expecting a thunderbolt. I thought 4 of the tracks were excellent but yes, he got lost for sure...Timeless is fantastic, again, his follow-up only briefly shimmered with such glory. Although not d'n'b, Freestylers 'We Rock Hard' was a cracker too...someone mentioned Tricky, for me "Pre-Millennium Tension" is a lost treasure...The Verve's "A Northern Soul" is another, such a brilliant album IMO and skins "Urban Hymns" which is rather good of course but not like ANS...Leftfield's "Rhythm And Stealth" was a noble and great follow-up, and The Young Gods "TV Sky" is absurdly underrated IMO...I could go on for hours and hours. So many albums, so many great albums...many already mentioned in this thread...damn you Milo, damn you for creating these glorious time-vaccums!!!!!!;)

Best thing about this thread is getting recommendations of albums I've never heard of before, listening to said albums, then realising you have new favourite albums.
This thread is great.

Me too. I was lucky enough to work in that industry with some of those guys. Ray Keith was the nicest guy in that scene. Some of the raves back in the day were so good!

But as an album artist, I thought grooverider was pretty limited...

I did some stuff with Grooverider back then, and he was certainly 'riding the wave'...Goldie was/is a spark-jack lightning plug of energy. Love the bloke, albeit he is definitely a bit crackers...you know who else I really likes? Dillinja as he rose through the scene, and although he didn't release an 'album' until 2000, his library of EPs and singles prior surely qualify him somewhat?

Oh...aside from cracking bands like Gallon Drunk, please tell me someone has already listed Beastie Boys "Ill Communication"?...and my final entry for now (if only to counter-balance this) is for those who like heavy, heavy satanic/black metal; Deicide's "Once Upon The Cross" is a genre-classic, and then there's the superb morally-untouchable punk-metal outfit Napalm Death with "Fear, Emptiness, Despair" and "Enemy of The Music Business" (which might be 2000 come to think of it)...

OK. I lied. Another entry you NEED (and this is a classic CLASSIC piece of music) is the ambient music masterpiece (which it is) The KLF "Chill Out"...hard to find now. Good luck. It's a piece of brilliance IMO and a glorious meditation which everyone should embark upon late at night...released in 1990...oh, and anything Underworld did in the 90s is godhead! I have to stop...

The Downward Spiral - Nine Inch Nails
The Chronic - Dr Dre
Play - Moby
Dookie - Green Day
The Score - Fugees

Check your Head - Beastie Boys
Ill Communication - Beastie Boys
Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches - Happy Mondays
Violator - Depeche Mode
Youth & Young Manhood - Kings Of Leon
Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Three E.P.'s - The Beta Band