• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Benefits

As for the second bit I highlighted, plays a bit into the first in as much as the KEY to MOST things is having a STRONG basic education system (something I know you believe strongly in too incidentally by reading your posts mate)...otherwise that second portion (jobs people don't want) will become ALL there is for the majority who go through an increasingly weakened public education system...these also become the people who have kids when they shouldn't per se...

Re: Education, I'm not sure what radical difference there is between a good school and a bad school. I believe a large part of the difference is the lack of education and guidance a lot of students recieve from home. Schools aren't there to raise your kids, they are there to teach. If a teacher can't control a student, that's more down to poor parenting than it is the education system IMO.

Good teachers go to bad schools are become labeled as bad teachers because there is a lack of discipline at home for students for poorer families. Not in all cases of course, but enough to distrupt the good pupils and reduce thier oppertunitys.

The problem with the education system isn't schools, it's parenting (or the lack thereof)

Re: Education, I'm not sure what radical difference there is between a good school and a bad school. I believe a large part of the difference is the lack of education and guidance a lot of students recieve from home. Schools aren't there to raise your kids, they are there to teach. If a teacher can't control a student, that's more down to poor parenting than it is the education system IMO.

Good teachers go to bad schools are become labeled as bad teachers because there is a lack of discipline at home for students for poorer families. Not in all cases of course, but enough to distrupt the good pupils and reduce thier oppertunitys.

The problem with the education system isn't schools, it's parenting (or the lack thereof)

Bit of both. A very good teacher can become a role model when there isn't one at home.

Until we scrap all these flimflam political targets, and multiple exam boards, the emphasis will be on ticking boxes, rather than equipping children for a world of work.

I'm afraid I don't believe children get dozens of A* grades because of their ability, or because teaching has improved.

I went out with a teacher for 5 years. Half the course material that she marked with average or decent grades, would've been put in the bin at my school.

Standards have dropped massively for mainstream school IMO. I expect they've improved for the very best schools.

Strongly agree with this. Don't care if it offends anyone but my opinion is brick breeds brick (well the majority of the time). If someone has been brought up badly then they too will bring up kids badly unless they have realized in life where their elders had gone wrong and fight/choose to correct it.

That is why I agree with stricter schooling. If the parents do a bad job then the teachers would correct their lack of parenting.

When I look back at my school days I remember the upper sets being populated by those from good backgrounds, coming from families whose parents work hard to earn a living, own their own homes etc. Lower sets were popular with kids from broken homes, poorer backgrounds etc.

Now is money the issue? I refuse to use that excuse. I prefer to blame the lack of drive to better themselves. Those who own their own house have got there from taking opportunities and working to get in a position like that in society and reap the reward today.

Free schooling, free benefits to those who need it and free libraries = no excuse for someone wishing to do well in life. Compare that to people who do not have that opportunity in places like Africa.

The amount of kids in these lower sets that now have kids in unmarried families, with the father fcking off and living off the state is a joke and that is only from my school. Now multiply that with all schools across the country and then multiply that again for the future generations who are likely to follow suit. Again I'm not saying ALL but I will confidently say a large proportion.

I think you do a massive disservice to modern care homes and adopted children and foster parents.

There is absolutely no doubt that a life in care would be preferable for many of these children born into these hard core disfunctional families.

Abuse comes in many forms and I maintain, care would be preferable to staying with the scum parents....epecially for life chances.

I would agree that there are may MANY great homes, but there is also truth to say there are many which aren't...I think "somewhere" we agree on how disgusting it is that these macaronic dysfunctional 'families' are 'allowed' to continue their brick lifestyle and ruin innocent children...we'd figure it out if we were leaders!!! ;-)

I don't think anyone is advocating the abolision of state education?

I'm a very strong advocate of it.

Which, in fairness, I noted in the initial post!!!! It was a statement as to how important getting that fundamental element of our society right is. Nowt about agreeing or not. As it happens, we do!

Bit of both. A very good teacher can become a role model when there isn't one at home.

Until we scrap all these flimflam political targets, and multiple exam boards, the emphasis will be on ticking boxes, rather than equipping children for a world of work.

I'm afraid I don't believe children get dozens of A* grades because of their ability, or because teaching has improved.

I went out with a teacher for 5 years. Half the course material that she marked with average or decent grades, would've been put in the bin at my school.

Standards have dropped massively for mainstream school IMO. I expect they've improved for the very best schools.

An excellent, excellent comment. I might not agree with your Darwinism, but you have hit the tickle my balls with a feather right there mate...

Agreed, but for me the two are siblings. You cannot begin to be a decent parent, without some form of basic, decent education IMHO. It's the cornerstone to everything we do IMHO. Even the most basic education (manners for example, social education) helps life move better. Someone who has decent manners is far, far more likely to make a good impression than some rude ignorant taco...I 'think' everyone in this thread is sort of in agreement on basics?

Agreed, but for me the two are siblings. You cannot begin to be a decent parent, without some form of basic, decent education IMHO. It's the cornerstone to everything we do IMHO. Even the most basic education (manners for example, social education) helps life move better. Someone who has decent manners is far, far more likely to make a good impression than some rude ignorant taco...I 'think' everyone in this thread is sort of in agreement on basics?

I agree that as a child you are a victim of circumstance, but as an adult that excuse is gone. Maybe you are from a broken home and attended a bad school, but as an adult it is up to the individual to improve his or her own life. When I watch a film like The Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith playing Chris Gardner who was homeless for a year looking after his young son, through dedication and hard work (and granted, perhaps a bit of luck) he became a stoke broker with his own firm. I see a story like that, then look at people in council houses claiming benefits complaining about their lack of oppertunity and I have little sympathy

There are libraries full of books on every subject imaginable free of charge. Once you become an adult you need to stop expecting people to hold your hand and if you want to go out and make something of yourself, whether thats a better parent or whatever, it is up to you.

I saw TED talk the other day of an African man who built a wind generator after learning about physics from a textbook. Worth a watch, it's only short http://www.ted.com/talks/william_kamkwamba_how_i_harnessed_the_wind.html. Not to mention the guy did it at 14!!

Back