• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Benefits

Richie

Naybet
Rather than this being a thread about benefit cheats, I'm curious about peoples opinions on what benefits should actually be.

I heard someone make a great comment about it on Question Time, the guy said the welfare system should be a safety net and not a lifestyle. That's the best way I've heard it put which correlates to my feelings on it.

Before coming to University (~2007), a friend of mine went on jobseekers while living at home. The guy got £80/fortnight and did very little to look for a job, had no bills so just spent it all down the pub with us.

It's a tough issue because while there are a lot of people who are trying to live easy, there are more who simply can't find jobs or those who can't work like the disabled.

While it may sound tough, I don't think you can differentiate between the long term jobless who are trying to find work and those who aren't. IMO the benefits system should keep you with a roof over your head, keep you warm and keep you fed, and not a whole lot else.

I suppose its easy for me to say, I graduated University and came straight in to a research job so thankfully haven't had to suffer unemployment, so I'd like to hear other opinions on the matter from you with more experience.

I was made redundant and was a year out of work not once did I collect benefits - I really should have as it is after all my money and have paid my taxes and NI.

I didnt not because I had a brickload of money but pride. I do regret not getting my benefits though. It is my fudging money arghhhhh

Rather than this being a thread about benefit cheats, I'm curious about peoples opinions on what benefits should actually be.

I heard someone make a great comment about it on Question Time, the guy said the welfare system should be a safety net and not a lifestyle. That's the best way I've heard it put which correlates to my feelings on it.

Before coming to University (~2007), a friend of mine went on jobseekers while living at home. The guy got £80/fortnight and did very little to look for a job, had no bills so just spent it all down the pub with us.

It's a tough issue because while there are a lot of people who are trying to live easy, there are more who simply can't find jobs or those who can't work like the disabled.

While it may sound tough, I don't think you can differentiate between the long term jobless who are trying to find work and those who aren't. IMO the benefits system should keep you with a roof over your head, keep you warm and keep you fed, and not a whole lot else.

I suppose its easy for me to say, I graduated University and came straight in to a research job so thankfully haven't had to suffer unemployment, so I'd like to hear other opinions on the matter from you with more experience.

Imo, and i have some experience at this at the moment, the whole thing could be run far far better through the job centres.

They are given vacancies that have been opened at all sorts of jobs, they have an online system that shows all these jobs and allows you to apply for them.

So why don't think just rejig the system a little bit, force you to apply through the 'job centre' website and record the time people have applied for jobs through it.

I can admit that there aren't always the perfect jobs online on their website, however you (and i at the moment) can't be waiting for the perfect job for you. The system should be designed to try and get people to get back into work as quickly as possible.

Though the second option in my mind is that everyone on the job centre database should register their qualifications and be automatically submitted for relevant vacancies.

In both options you could remove benefits for those who are not applying for enough jobs, or not attending any interviews that are set up through the qualifications method.

Of course these would both have to be fine tuned, sometimes people need slightly more help, but if these were both run through computer servers then it would free up a lot of staff for helping those who need 'additional' help...

But that's just my two cents..

I've never had to use the job centre, but I know my friend who I mentioned above used to walk in, say he'd applied to a few jobs (he hadn't) and had looked through the paper and boom, £80 in his pocket.

The system of getting unemployment benefit based on contribution should be extended IMO. Someone made redundant after 10 or 15 years of paying their taxes should be differentiated as much as possible from those who have never worked.

JSA ain't the biggest benefit mate. You can't do anything without tackling universal benefits for the elderly and incapacity benefit.

I think this country needs to man the fudge up

Benefits should only be given to the elderly and the disabled IMO

The rest of us need to fend for ourselves. Survival of the fittest.

Seriously, if you're fit and healthy there's no fudging excuse.

That's fundamentally my point. Don't have kids if you ant afford them and if you're a fit man or working age you work, end of. And there are jobs for everyone. Just not the jobs people want. Tough brick.

In the context of tax evasion it shows the choice. What do you want? Sole traders and the rich getting away with it or everyone paying their way and keeping universal benefits?

I've never had to use the job centre, but I know my friend who I mentioned above used to walk in, say he'd applied to a few jobs (he hadn't) and had looked through the paper and boom, £80 in his pocket.

The system of getting unemployment benefit based on contribution should be extended IMO. Someone made redundant after 10 or 15 years of paying their taxes should be differentiated as much as possible from those who have never worked.

In theory i agree with you, but in practise it may not quite work so well. There are a number of people coming out of uni who can't get jobs, me included. You think them not working is not worthy of job-seekers?

Is it their fault that the country has been run by macarons over the years and there are less job opportunities nowadays?

Myself? I've gotten bored of hitting the catch 22. You can't get employed in most jobs without experience. So i've decided to fudge it, if i don't get any interest within the next two weeks i'm signing off and going back to college to do an accelerated accounting course.

That's fundamentally my point. Don't have kids if you ant afford them and if you're a fit man or working age you work, end of. And there are jobs for everyone. Just not the jobs people want. Tough brick.

In the context of tax evasion it shows the choice. What do you want? Sole traders and the rich getting away with it or everyone paying their way and keeping universal benefits?

I've been applying for all sorts of jobs. From Accountancy based work, through admin/reception work all the way to sale assistant spots at shops.

I haven't had much interest, what do you suggest i do? If the number of jobs don't exist do i have to go and create them?

Edit: Not a dig, just genuinely wondering what you think.

Last edited:
I think this country needs to man the fudge up

Benefits should only be given to the elderly and the disabled IMO

The rest of us need to fend for ourselves. Survival of the fittest.

Seriously, if you're fit and healthy there's no fudging excuse.

Sometimes there arent the jobs dude. Think about it, I can only us myself as an example, when I was made redundant I fudgein struggled to get any job simply because for all the brick jobs I was over qualified and all the great jobs I was under qualified.

Sometimes it is just out of our hands but I have paid taxes and NI therefore im allowed a benefit. If you want to take away the benefits for he jobless then I think you gotta reduce or eradicate the taxes and NI we pay. Why would we pay it then otherwise?

In theory i agree with you, but in practise it may not quite work so well. There are a number of people coming out of uni who can't get jobs, me included. You think them not working is not worthy of job-seekers?

Not at all, and herein lies the problem. I would perhaps argue a system with a lower base rate for those with no employment history which increased based on contribution.

Personally I would like to see a huge overhaul of the system with the Govt looking at each benefit and asking themselves what they are trying to achieve with it. If child benefit is to make sure the children are fed, then give them more food vouchers and less cash. If Jobseekers is to help get people to interviews, give fuel vouchers or vouchers redeemable on public transportation. Just a couple off the top of my head anyway, not really thought it all the way through

I've been applying for all sorts of jobs. From Accountancy based work, through admin/reception work all the way to sale assistant spots at shops.

I haven't had much interest, what do you suggest i do? If the number of jobs don't exist do i have to go and create them?

Edit: Not a dig, just genuinely wondering what you think.

What salary do you want?

You are obviously partially qualified in accounts. But you know you could get warehouse work if you wanted. If you went to the job agencies and said you'd do anything youd get a job. I have zero doubt. You might be worth more than that but as I said, there is work. Just not the work people might wanna do.

National insurance should reflect what you actually pay in. You work for 10 years paying full whack? You should get more.

What salary do you want?

You are obviously partially qualified in accounts. But you know you could get warehouse work if you wanted. If you went to the job agencies and said you'd do anything youd get a job. I have zero doubt. You might be worth more than that but as I said, there is work. Just not the work people might wanna do.

Currently couldn't give a fudge about salary. I just want a job.

I've been applying for warehouse work. I live in birmingham, which without this employment issue would be disappointing, which is (or at least was) one of the worst places for employment in the UK.

Partially qualified yes. I've been to the job agencies, they want people who have 6 months experience working in each area they want you for.

You have zero doubt? Don't make me laugh.

What salary do you want?

Leeds not necessarily. Companies and firms etc do not want to hire over qualified personnel simply because when that new recruit finds another job (eventually and he/she will) that company will have to go through another recruitment process. Recruitment costs money hence it deters companies from hiring the wrong people for the job.

I have begged in the past to work for a pittance and they still wouldnt hire me as I was over qualified.

What salary do you want?

While I might have agreed with you 5 years ago, I'm not totally sure that is the case in the current climate.

However, as per Spursalot's situation, if it were me I'd walk in to a local accountancy firm with my CV in hand and offer to work as an unpaid intern. Get a small amount of experience and an industry reference

While I might have agreed with you 5 years ago, I'm not totally sure that is the case in the current climate.

However, as per Spursalot's situation, if it were me I'd walk in to a local accountancy firm with my CV in hand and offer to work as an unpaid intern. Get a small amount of experience and an industry reference

That's a good call. I'm currently still waiting for four or five of them to 'get back to me'..

Though i might be taking over this thread so i think i'll stop there.. :lol:

Currently couldn't give a fudge about salary. I just want a job.

I've been applying for warehouse work. I live in birmingham, which without this employment issue would be disappointing, which is (or at least was) one of the worst places for employment in the UK.

Partially qualified yes. I've been to the job agencies, they want people who have 6 months experience working in each area they want you for.

You have zero doubt? Don't make me laugh.

I could get a job in your circumstances.

I hav zero sympathy for you

Back