• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Lets start off with me reiterating that I rate Rose as the better of the two right now and that he, like most of the first team right now is first choice because of that. He has come on an aweful lot this season, seems to have a great understanding with Chadli and is settled in his position. The Chelsea result galvanised the team, the confidence boost gained from thrashing the best team in the country was amazing and the players took the momentum from that game and carried it forward.

As for Davies; Please don't discount a players performance in a game just because he wasn't the stand out star. Davies played well and to belittle that performance with a remark about Soldado is just deflecting my argument because you don't wish to adress it. I'm not gonna pretend that the lad was perfect in every game, but then no player is, including Rose who did make mistakes in games earlier this season. The problem here is that as a fan of Rose, you seem incapable of seeing any good in Davies' game.

Just watched the 2nd Swansea goal on MOTD and not too sure what Davies could have done.

Routledge was his man and Routledge made a run inside towards the six yard box which Davies had to cover.
Bentaleb was marking Siggy but as Bentaleb carried on his run to cover the front of the box, where Ki had moved to, Siggy stopped.
Mason was doubling up on Montero.
Dembele and Eriksen had both not caught up with play.

So in conclusion I don't think any blame can go to Davies, he did his job which was to mark his man. Had he left Routledge and the ball gone across the six yard box it would have been Davies' fault, this goal was more to do with our midfield not tracking back.
Sounds about right...

Stole my work :D

I think perhaps the blame should go to Bentaleb or Dembele. Dembele should've either doubled up on Montero or in this case (due to catching up with the break) come in field to take up Mason's normal position to double up on Oliviera.
Bentaleb was caught in no mans land, though only he will no whether or not that was because he was drawn to Oliviera's run or because he had no idea where Siggy was.

Stole my work :D

I think perhaps the blame should go to Bentaleb or Dembele. Dembele should've either doubled up on Montero or in this case (due to catching up with the break) come in field to take up Mason's normal position to double up on Oliviera.
Bentaleb was caught in no mans land, though only he will no whether or not that was because he was drawn to Oliviera's run or because he had no idea where Siggy was.

The only criticism I can see of Davies is that he turns his back on Siggy as he shoots, but Routledge was his man to mark.

Yeah his turning away was poor, but it's more worrying that Siggy was unmarked in the first place.

you can't stop every goal, why does someone always have be to blame :)

Exactly my point. This fudging analysis of every goal is bloody boring.

Imo davies got sucked towards goal and should have had a look over his shoulder to see what was around him. It happens, we won big deal!

Lets start off with me reiterating that I rate Rose as the better of the two right now and that he, like most of the first team right now is first choice because of that. He has come on an aweful lot this season, seems to have a great understanding with Chadli and is settled in his position. The Chelsea result galvanised the team, the confidence boost gained from thrashing the best team in the country was amazing and the players took the momentum from that game and carried it forward.

As for Davies; Please don't discount a players performance in a game just because he wasn't the stand out star. Davies played well and to belittle that performance with a remark about Soldado is just deflecting my argument because you don't wish to adress it. I'm not gonna pretend that the lad was perfect in every game, but then no player is, including Rose who did make mistakes in games earlier this season. The problem here is that as a fan of Rose, you seem incapable of seeing any good in Davies' game.

I answered your points by listing players who noticeably stood out in the everton game. If I remember correctly the way we pressed everton high up meant our back four were rather under employed. In fact out front 6 were all great and I don't understand why you said he was one of our best players that night. He wasn't. As a team we played well but he wasn't standout.

No one is going to be perfect but imagine the meltdown on here if Rose had been run ragged by an ageing league 1 winger or been at fault for some of goals that davies has. And you wouldn't see some geek analysis of why a goal wasn't his fault (the photos that guy uses shows Davies marking the back post ffs - he should have done much much better.)

Rose went to Sunderland who finished around 10th and was their player of the year, davies wasn't even the best left back at swansea. Tbf that's me going OTT to prove a point about each players' ability and potential ceilings but it's true. I like davies but rose started the seaosn better, continued that form and has more in his locker to be a top full back. Maybe he won't fulfill that promise but heck im done trying to argue my corner

No one is going to be perfect but imagine the meltdown on here if Rose had been run ragged by an ageing league 1 winger or been at fault for some of goals that davies has. And you wouldn't see some geek analysis of why a goal wasn't his fault (the photos that guy uses shows Davies marking the back post ffs - he should have done much much better.)

Think you hit the tickle my balls with a feather there!

I may be wrong but my impression is that some of Davies most ardent excusers have also been Rose's greatest critics.... Coincidence?

Last edited:
Wasn't that long ago we didn't have a left back. Happy to have Ben as backup to Danny. He's young and I'm very hopefull that Poch will get the best out of him.

It's how the forum works, some posters pick on one player and then another will take up the defence of that same player by picking on another (Townsend/Lamela is a prime example). Sometimes it's the only way to put an argument forward to other posters. That is what brings out posts slamming Rose's past mistakes because people want to say "I told you so" to those that pick on the slightest thing wrong that Davies does.

That whole piece on that website was written by a guy who likely read the "that goal was all Davies' fault" messages and looked at it play by play. The GIF even shows clearly Davies tracking Routledge until the ball goes over to Siggy, at which time he tries to close the bloke down. If you really think he's marking the back post then I can only assume you haven't even looked at the GIF.

I'm still happy with the Davies' purchase. He is relatively young for a full back and on his day is good defensively as well as having to ability to pass the ball very quickly and accurately up field. He has ultimately made Rose a better player too and competition is always good.

He was real good when he had a good run of games and I'm never disheartened when he starts and we decide to rest Rose.

It's how the forum works, some posters pick on one player and then another will take up the defence of that same player by picking on another (Townsend/Lamela is a prime example).

I did a quick search putting just "useless"... care to guess whether this was nicely balanced between several players - as your post would suggest - or was it mainly one player who bortne the brunt of the criticism???

Try it out and let me know if you are still of the same opinion?

you can't stop every goal, why does someone always have be to blame :)

Its what some fans do, if its not certain players its the ref. The truth is most goals can be traced back to a mistake along the way, its football and in real life its what happens.

Davies has shown some good play in the final third, close control in the box and some good crosses. I think he suffers form not getting much support form his wide man, as he is used to getting cover from Routledge or the Swansea wide men. Our Midfielders especially Eriksen and Dembele when he is playing AM are prone to be a bit lazy and that unbalances us.

Davies will improve defensively as he gets used to his team mates. Our rotation of players probably means this takes a bit longer cf with a settled back four.

Good analysis of the Sig goal, Cochise. Originally, I thought it was Davies' fault, but I have changed my mind on that, it's the midfielders who didn't track Sig who were more to blame, as you say.

Back