• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Banksy

Superted

Jonathan Woodgate
What does everyone think of your resident street artist Banksy?

The reason I ask is that, given he's not such a big deal on this side of the sphere, my wife and I only recently came across his picture of the girl with the lost balloon. We both agreed it is absolutely beautiful and we want to get it on a canvas to hang up in our daughters wall.

I'm going to do it anyway, but thought I'd get other peoples thoughts on it. The more I look at it, the more I think it's a sad piece and maybe not the sort of thing you put in a 2 year olds bedroom to lift the spirits of the place.

But it's bloody gorgeous the piece.

20080528045120_large.jpg

He is a wonderful, imaginative and clever artist imho. I feel he has, for the first time, brought an insightful intelligence to street art, perhaps he has angilcised it? As for the melancholy in the picture above, as in all art it is what you want it to be.

Yup, it could be a little girl releasing a balloon in to the sky to soar above us..

Or a little girl with her arm outstretched to try to reach out to a balloon that is floating near to her.

Plus many other interpretations

If you've not already seen it you should watch 'Exit Through The Gift Shop'. It's an absolutely amazing documentary/film.

From an art point of view it really depends whether you agree with "Good Artists Copy; Great Artists Steal" or not.

To me his non specific generalist anti capitalist message (whilst selling for millions) is filling the void with some people that the Che Guevara image used to.

As for the girl stencil, the image isn't constructed very well. If she wanted the ball she wouldn't be in that static position, shed be chasing after it. But at least he hasn't stole the idea off Blek le Rat ;)

Did I see on the news the other day that he was getting an old man to sell some of his art work in Central Park for $60 and only sold 8?

Great thread this.

I've not seen any of his pieces in the flesh yet I appreciate what he does. It's clearly elevated stuff and by giving it away freely he doesn't make it disposable', but imparts a desire to preserve and possess.

I've gotta find out what it's all about now. Why the anonymity, why not do a Hurst and make millions, he surely could...

Great thread this.

I've not seen any of his pieces in the flesh yet I appreciate what he does. It's clearly elevated stuff and by giving it away freely he doesn't make it disposable', but imparts a desire to preserve and possess.

I've gotta find out what it's all about now. Why the anonymity, why not do a Hurst and make millions, he surely could...

He already does.

Did I see on the news the other day that he was getting an old man to sell some of his art work in Central Park for $60 and only sold 8?

I caught that news bulletin, Too funny!
[video=youtube;zX54DIpacNE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX54DIpacNE[/video]

He's been kicking up quite a stink in New York, having got the Mayor & NYPD on high alert.

He updates on Instagram quite frequently: http://instagram.com/banksyny#

Last edited:
I have actually seen Banksy in the flesh at Glastonbury. The only hinderance to this story is that at the time I didn't know it was Banksy. A bearded man with headphones in was doing a painting near the skate ramp in the kids field and we were stoned saying "Bit like Banksy that" Go back on the Sunday and it had his tag in the corner.

He has a lot of work around Liverpool, including his biggest ever piece (in size not fame) but that is now being destroyed unfortunately.

http://www.liverpoolconfidential.co.uk/Culture/Banksy-rat-liverpool-whitehouse-pub

The stencils he did here in 2004 were very funny, too

I think many of the points he tries to make are tired or often just naïve.

That said, I do enjoy the humour in much of what he does, and we have a large print of his Fallen Angel piece in our dining room.

I have actually seen Banksy in the flesh at Glastonbury. The only hinderance to this story is that at the time I didn't know it was Banksy. A bearded man with headphones in was doing a painting near the skate ramp in the kids field and we were stoned saying "Bit like Banksy that" Go back on the Sunday and it had his tag in the corner.

He has a lot of work around Liverpool, including his biggest ever piece (in size not fame) but that is now being destroyed unfortunately.

http://www.liverpoolconfidential.co.uk/Culture/Banksy-rat-liverpool-whitehouse-pub

The stencils he did here in 2004 were very funny, too

I used to live 15 seconds from that (ex) pub. You can actually see my block on the left.

I think many of the points he tries to make are tired or often just naïve.

That said, I do enjoy the humour in much of what he does, and we have a large print of his Fallen Angel piece in our dining room.

Thing to remember mate, is he's been making them for well over a decade...

Excellent piece of political comment in Clacton from Mr Banksy..._77938500_banksy.jpg

How do I get the picture to be posted bigger???

Last edited:
Back