• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Balloon d'Or

Iniesta for me, but I'd be tempted to give it to Xavi for sentimental reasons, as he should have won it before and won't do again now he is 32.

Iniesta for me, but I'd be tempted to give it to Xavi for sentimental reasons, as he should have won it before and won't do again now he is 32.

I'd have no problem with Xavi winning for the reason you pointed out. Scandalous that he hasn't won it! One of the greatest midfielders I've ever seen. I rate him higher than Iniesta.

Wanna know what's even more baffling ? They have De Matteo shortlisted for manager of the year lol.

Did a 13 year old make that list? I know those players are generally a list of the best players in the world, but which ones have been really special this year? Rooney certainly hasn't!

Did a 13 year old make that list? I know those players are generally a list of the best players in the world, but which ones have been really special this year? Rooney certainly hasn't!

It's based on reputation as much as performances. Play for certain clubs, you must be great.

Ballon D'or is a club player award.
No it's an award for the best player from the calendar year, so international tournaments do have a part to play. Let's not forget that Cannavaro won the FIFA player of the year (which is now part of this award) in 2006 after winning the World Cup as Italy's captain.

I'd have no problem with Xavi winning for the reason you pointed out. Scandalous that he hasn't won it! One of the greatest midfielders I've ever seen. I rate him higher than Iniesta.
Xavi should have won it in 2010 when Spain won the World Cup, IMO. While Barcelona didn't win the Champions League, Xavi was an integral part of them winning the league that season - and was arguably Spain's best player in the World Cup. A travesty he won't win one.

But still, Messi has out-performed him this year. He's on course to set a new record for goals in a calendar year (to surpass Gerd Muller) and scored 50 goals in the league last season (!!!!)

Messi to win it.

Messi is so far ahead of the rest of the players on that list that there is little point having the rest of the list. The shortlist should simply read: Messi. He is by far and away the best player on the planet, and I don't believe that anybody else could genuinely disagree with that statement.

Xavi should have won it in 2010 when Spain won the World Cup, IMO. While Barcelona didn't win the Champions League, Xavi was an integral part of them winning the league that season - and was arguably Spain's best player in the World Cup. A travesty he won't win one.

But still, Messi has out-performed him this year. He's on course to set a new record for goals in a calendar year (to surpass Gerd Muller) and scored 50 goals in the league last season (!!!!)

Messi to win it.

Could have won it in 2008 too when he was Spain's best player at the Euros.

As good as Iniesta was in this year's final, Xavi ran the game and was the better of the two IMO.

Messi is so far ahead of the rest of the players on that list that there is little point having the rest of the list. The shortlist should simply read: Messi. He is by far and away the best player on the planet, and I don't believe that anybody else could genuinely disagree with that statement.

The only player that comes close is Ronaldo, but Messi is still the best player on the planet.

Back