• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Balloon d'Or

Bang on!

Re the different league argument, Maradona never came and played in England against the "great" Liverpool teams of the 80s, does that mean he wasnt the greatest at the time? Same with Zidane/Real Ronaldo/Ronaldinho...

As a competitive league the Premier League is by far the best, however, lets not kid ourselves, I think there is far more quality in the Spanish league than its given credit for. Bilbao (supposedly a weak team at the time), beat United on their patch when they were defending PL champions..

I think the Spanish League has the cream of the World's top players but the Premier League has far more overall quality spread over the 20 clubs in the division.

This is born-out by the fact that 115 players who participated in the 2010 World Cup Finals were based in England, compared with just 60 who were based in Spain.

In fact, for all World Cup Finals from 1982 to 2010 the figures are 576 English based players compared with 375 Spanish based players...

FIFA World Cup Finals 2010 Player Details with Club & National League Affiliation

Bang on!

Re the different league argument, Maradona never came and played in England against the "great" Liverpool teams of the 80s, does that mean he wasnt the greatest at the time? Same with Zidane/Real Ronaldo/Ronaldinho...

As a competitive league the Premier League is by far the best, however, lets not kid ourselves, I think there is far more quality in the Spanish league than its given credit for. Bilbao (supposedly a weak team at the time), beat United on their patch when they were defending PL champions..

No .. there is not, you think Messi/Ronaldo/GHod would score 60 goals in a season in England?? half the sides in Spain just roll over and take in the ass from Real/Barca, how many draws does barca get against the bottom 12 sides in the league, vs. United's winning run last year?

Re Maradona, really? Maradona singly handedly (sorry) won the WC for Argentina, he also made Napoli (not Milan, Inter, Roma) a success, far more proven (and personally I dislike the guy) than Messi.

Franck Ribery said:
I won everything I could win with Bayern and individually. Ronaldo on the other hand did not win anything.

I am not sad that I missed out, but it does hurt a bit. I deserved to win the Ballon d'Or.

It was clear that Ronaldo would win it. The voting deadline was extended by two weeks. This had never happened before. It wasn't about football. It was a political decision.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3871/fifa-ballon-dor/2014/01/20/4556900/ronaldo-did-not-win-anything-does-not-deserve-ballon-dor

I could name five Bayern players that I thought deserved it more than him. Did he ever get punished for shagging that under aged girl? #36 on my list of why modern footballers/football is so $hite list.

Last edited:
No .. there is not, you think Messi/Ronaldo/GHod would score 60 goals in a season in England?? half the sides in Spain just roll over and take in the ass from Real/Barca, how many draws does barca get against the bottom 12 sides in the league, vs. United's winning run last year?

Re Maradona, really? Maradona singly handedly (sorry) won the WC for Argentina, he also made Napoli (not Milan, Inter, Roma) a success, far more proven (and personally I dislike the guy) than Messi.

Somewhat interestingly Emirates Marketing Project are outscoring Barca and are just about keeping up with Real in terms of goals scored this season. City have 63 goals in 22 games compare to 58 and 54 for Real and Barca respectively in 20 games.

Meanwhile Suarez is outscoring Ronaldo with 22 goals in 17 matches compared to 21 in 19 for Ronaldo.

Place Messi or Ronaldo in the current City side and I think they would score at a comparable rate to their rate in Spain. I do think the PL is more competitive and closer than La Liga, but part of this is that the top teams in Spain have been superior to the top PL sides. And the top individual players in La Liga have been significantly better than the top individual players in the PL.

I could name five Bayern players that I thought deserved it more than him. Did he ever get punished for shagging that under aged girl? #36 on my list of why modern footballers/football is so $hite list.

Seems that one of two Germans might disagree with you considering that he won at least one player of the season award for the entire Bundesliga last season. A bit strange to me that there would be 5 players just for Bayern that outperformed him...

How many Bayern games did you watch in the 12/13 season?

Seems that one of two Germans might disagree with you considering that he won at least one player of the season award for the entire Bundesliga last season. A bit strange to me that there would be 5 players just for Bayern that outperformed him...

How many Bayern games did you watch in the 12/13 season?

Probably all of there champions league games for the past two seasons. I prefer to watch them than any of the English sides.. so that would be at a guess 20+ times over the last two years.

This year's nominees (no Suarez):

Messi
Ronaldo
Philipp Lahm
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Manuel Neuer

Thomas Müller
Mario Götze
Toni Kroos
Gareth Bale
Karim Benzema

Diego Costa
Thibaut Courtois
Angel Di Maria
Eden Hazard
Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Andrés Iniesta
Javier Mascherano
Neymar
Paul Pogba
Sergio Ramos

Arjen Robben
James Rodriguez
Yaya Touré

Manager of the year:

Carlo Ancelotti (Real Madrid)
Antonio Conte (Juventus)
Pep Guardiola (Bayern München)
Jürgen Klinsmann (USA)
Joachim Löw (Tyskland)

Jose Mourinho (Chelsea)
Manuel Pellegrini (Emirates Marketing Project)
Alejandro Sabella (Argentina)
Diego Simone (Atletico Madrid)
Louis van Gaal (Nederland)

Messi
Ronaldo
Philipp Lahm
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Manuel Neuer

Thomas Müller
Mario Götze
Toni Kroos
Gareth Bale
Karim Benzema

Diego Costa
Thibaut Courtois
Angel Di Maria
Eden Hazard
Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Andrés Iniesta
Javier Mascherano
Neymar
Paul Pogba
Sergio Ramos

Arjen Robben
James Rodriguez
Yaya Touré

Manager of the year:

Antonio Conte (Juventus)
Jürgen Klinsmann (USA)
Joachim Löw (Tyskland)

Jose Mourinho (Chelsea)

Wonder which one of these lucky men will receive the most bribes and concession in their favor to become this years World Player of The Year.

Wonder which one of these lucky men will receive the most bribes and concession in their favor to become this years World Player of The Year.

Maybe this year it won't be a nailed on Ronaldo/Messi win? Or I could be very wrong. Suarez probably would've won it if he was only hungry for footballing success.

Is Mourinho there for merit only, BTW? Or is Chelski's third place from last season considered a big achievement, along with fifth round exits from the league/FA cups and a semi final loss in the CL?

Maybe this year it won't be a nailed on Ronaldo/Messi win? Or I could be very wrong. Suarez probably would've won it if he was only hungry for footballing success.

Is Mourinho there for merit only, BTW? Or is Chelski's third place from last season considered a big achievement, along with fifth round exits from the league/FA cups and a semi final loss in the CL?

I was thinking the same. How on earth is he on the list ?

Klinsmann is on the list purely to appease the new fan base in America for soccer

Simeone has to win the manager award. Or Lowe I suppose. I am surprised Modric isn't on the list, he had a great season last year

Messi
Ronaldo
Philipp Lahm
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Manuel Neuer

Thomas Müller
Mario Götze
Toni Kroos
Gareth Bale
Karim Benzema

Diego Costa
Thibaut Courtois
Angel Di Maria
Eden Hazard
Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Andrés Iniesta
Javier Mascherano
Neymar
Paul Pogba
Sergio Ramos

Arjen Robben
James Rodriguez
Yaya Touré

Manager of the year:

Antonio Conte (Juventus)
Jürgen Klinsmann (USA)
Joachim Löw (Tyskland)

Jose Mourinho (Chelsea)

Player of the year is a tough one. It's hard to pick one player from the Germany team as most of them had great tournaments.

Messi was poor in the WC final but carried them to the semi final.

Diego Costa would be my choice.

Simeone HAS to win manager award.

messicarpet_3162582k.jpg

Another award show, another suit.

And just to prove what a joke it really is. Team of the year:

Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich and Germany)

Phillipp Lahm (Bayern Munich and Germany)

David Luiz (Paris Saint-Germain and Brazil)

Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid and Spain)

Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain and Brazil)

Andres Iniesta (Barcelona and Spain)

Toni Kroos (Real Madrid and Germany)

Angel di Maria (Manchester United and Argentina)

Lionel Messi (Barcelona and Argentina)

Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid and Portugal)

Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich and Holland)

Back