• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ballon d'Or

Do you think he deserves it more than haaland?
Yes, I don't think Haaland deserves it. He's obviously a great goalscorer but he's not a great footballer. He hasn't improved City.
For me, Kane's 30 goals and all-round play in the PL was more impressive than Haaland getting 36 goals with the amount of chances City provided for him. Outside of scoring he does fudge all.
Winning the world cup was always going to mean Messi won it.

But would he do it in the French league and CL like Messi did? ;)

Was that his overall record in France?

I reckon Son would do damage there, maybe not to those numbers

No way Messi is the best player of last year though, not that it matters haha. I don't respect the Balon Dor so don't get too upset about it.

Just here to poke at it hahaha

Yes, I don't think Haaland deserves it. He's obviously a great goalscorer but he's not a great footballer. He hasn't improved City.
For me, Kane's 30 goals and all-round play in the PL was more impressive than Haaland getting 36 goals with the amount of chances City provided for him. Outside of scoring he does fudge all.
Winning the world cup was always going to mean Messi won it.

You count all comps for messi but just the league for haaland?

Haaland got 52 goals and 9 assists last season. First season in the prem. Far tougher than ligue 1. Won a treble. Including the champions league. Yes his country isn't as good at football as argentina. Other than that he had a phenomenal season.

Nice to see some long overdue recognition for grassroots (pub league) football. Not everything has to be about competitive elite leagues.

You count all comps for messi but just the league for haaland?

Haaland got 52 goals and 9 assists last season. First season in the prem. Far tougher than ligue 1. Won a treble. Including the champions league. Yes his country isn't as good at football as argentina. Other than that he had a phenomenal season.
No, I made a direct comparison between Haaland and Kane in the PL, one example of why I don't think Haaland deserved it.

He had a phenomenal season winning three trophies, so did every member of the City squad. There were plenty of games he literally had about 10 touches but scored because City create so many chances. To be regarded the best player of the year there needs to be more to your all-round
game for me.

Haaland was never winning it, if France had won the World Cup Mbappe would've won the Ballon D'or and would be a more deserving winner.

Was that his overall record in France?

I reckon Son would do damage there, maybe not to those numbers

No way Messi is the best player of last year though, not that it matters haha. I don't respect the Balon Dor so don't get too upset about it.

Just here to poke at it hahaha
Yeah, his overall record in France and CL.

Ballon d'or is a joke like most of these competitions.

No, I made a direct comparison between Haaland and Kane in the PL, one example of why I don't think Haaland deserved it.

He had a phenomenal season winning three trophies, so did every member of the City squad. There were plenty of games he literally had about 10 touches but scored because City create so many chances. To be regarded the best player of the year there needs to be more to your all-round
game for me.

Haaland was never winning it, if France had won the World Cup Mbappe would've won the Ballon D'or and would be a more deserving winner.

agree with most of that, but Mbappe has done nothing until he plays for a proper club in a proper league

Of course it's Messi. Can agree or disagree, but I don't think it was ever going to be any other way.

Personally I agree. He's not the player he once was. He's not able to influence games as consistently as he once did. But give him the ball just about anywhere on the pitch and there's barely a player in the world you'd rather have the ball in that position. In any position.

He was the best player in the pitch again and again in the World Cup. He had a team around him, a rather good team. But he dragged Argentina to the World Cup win. It was always him they looked to. And he delivered, what barely no other player could, again and again. It was fantastic. It was beautiful. He was outstanding, even compared to the best of the rest.

They had other great players for sure. But a team with Otamendi, Tagliafico, Acuna, Di Maria etc (all current level) doesn't just win the World Cup. Unless carried there by someone really outstandingly special. Messi could do that, and he did do that.

That wins you this individual trophy. Not being a more effective player across a club season. That's the way this trophy works.

Of course it's Messi. Can agree or disagree, but I don't think it was ever going to be any other way.

Personally I agree. He's not the player he once was. He's not able to influence games as consistently as he once did. But give him the ball just about anywhere on the pitch and there's barely a player in the world you'd rather have the ball in that position. In any position.

He was the best player in the pitch again and again in the World Cup. He had a team around him, a rather good team. But he dragged Argentina to the World Cup win. It was always him they looked to. And he delivered, what barely no other player could, again and again. It was fantastic. It was beautiful. He was outstanding, even compared to the best of the rest.

They had other great players for sure. But a team with Otamendi, Tagliafico, Acuna, Di Maria etc (all current level) doesn't just win the World Cup. Unless carried there by someone really outstandingly special. Messi could do that, and he did do that.

That wins you this individual trophy. Not being a more effective player across a club season. That's the way this trophy works.

The trophy is a popularity contest.

I'm not arguing against Messi's talent, but a guy that has probably played 20 competitive games for the fudging year should not be the winner.

Someone from City's squad would have been a better call.

The trophy is a popularity contest.

I'm not arguing against Messi's talent, but a guy that has probably played 20 competitive games for the fudging year should not be the winner.

Someone from City's squad would have been a better call.
Where are you getting 20 games from? He played about 60 games between PSG and Argentina.

Where are you getting 20 games from? He played about 60 games between PSG and Argentina.

20 competitive games, i.e. WC and a few games with PSG (where they brick the bed in the CL)

Really don't see how that compares to one of several City players that delivered a treble and played truly competitive football for 12 months

Problem is with discussion, the response to that will be "do you think x player is better than Messi", my answer will be no, but do I think several players had a better year and contributed more to their teams than Messi? yes.

20 competitive games, i.e. WC and a few games with PSG (where they brick the bed in the CL)

Really don't see how that compares to one of several City players that delivered a treble and played truly competitive football for 12 months

Problem is with discussion, the response to that will be "do you think x player is better than Messi", my answer will be no, but do I think several players had a better year and contributed more to their teams than Messi? yes.

I’m fine with Messi winning the award as there’s no conceivable scenario that you can imagine Argentina winning that World Cup without him. Emirates Marketing Project didn’t have one player in particular that carried them, they are littered with world class players. But winning treble is a phenomenal achievement so would have had no issue with Haaland or De Bruyne winning it, or even Gundogan. There wasn’t any standout players this year IMO that absolutely hands down deserved it. I accept Haaland scored lots of goals but as others have said, has he actually improved them beyond making them more clinical?

20 competitive games, so much like Haaland and the other City players had then? There is a huge gulf between the quality of City and more or less the rest of the league due to the oil money and over 100 breaches of regulations.
It's a laugh to call 90% of the league games competitive for City when they are regularly getting around the 100 point mark. That isn't down to one individual player, it's down to having a squad that nobody else could afford to put together.

No one player contributed more to a teams success than Messi did with Argentina.

Back