• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Anyone got any experince with making a sloped roof

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
Im concerned about the hose pipe ban this summer as i have a garden with a large veg patch and a few flower beds. We have a bucket that we keep connected to a drain pipe and we get a bit out of it but im thinking as we have a double garage of sloping the roof and hooking up a water harvesting system but i have not done this before anyone got any experince of this?

connect a waterbut to your downpipe not hugely expensive but with a ban garden centres will double their price

Back to your original question.... I have a number of harvesting devices at home as I live in an area of the UK on a chalk aquifer that drys out quickly, and has been in drought for two years.
****-ups I made initially were: 1) not mounting the waterbut/collection tank hign enough off the ground in order to get a watering can easily under the tap to use the stuff.... once the water but is full you can forget trying to move it... I believe 1 cubic metre of water weighs 1 metric tonne! I ended up having to empty the water tanks, then raising them clear of the ground by 40cms on brick and concrete piers so I can use the stuff. 2) Don't underestimate the amount of water you will be able to harvest off your pitched roof, nor how much you will use. I started with a single water tank, but quickly doubled this by having a pair of tanks that were interlinked set side by side. 3) Don't expect to be able to water the whole garden with your reservoir.... I ended up having to be ruthless... the flowers and grass were left to fend for themselves, and the veg got everything! 4) Shop around for the water tanks.... ebay has some bargains! As an earlier poster pointed out, Homebase have already doubled their prices!!!
This year I am looking at harvesting the bathwater too via a third tank as at least this would get refilled through the summer. I am just on the edge of the Thames Water region so we will have the hosepipe ban implemented, and policing it will be strictre this year I suspect.

If you have space it is worth considering acquiring a 1000 litre IBC. They will cost from ?ú25-50 and come on a pallet normally. The ratio of size to cost makes any other form of water buttress redundant. The equivalent in a garden centre would cost you hundreds of pounds. Utilising a downpipe collector from the main gutters would easily fill it. If I am not mistaken and you would need to DYOR but I think you are allowed to fill a water buttress with a hose. A very odd rule indeed but it was a loophole. There is then nothing to stop you attaching a pumped hose from the water buttress. Hey presto you are back in business. I am about to order a couple for my Mum's place as she has invested heavily in her garden over the last two years and at 78 just could not manage to water the garden with a watering can. Worth checking the law regarding hose pipe bans.

UPDATE - I believe South East Water have exempted the Over 65s and Blue Badge holders from the ban.

RE - The roof. Probably a noise issue but you could easily make a frame out of corrugated plastic use that to angle water into the existing gutters. It would however have to be secured in some way and no doubt might fall foul of planning/building controls. Local council often have drop in advice on planning and building.

If you have space it is worth considering acquiring a 1000 litre IBC. They will cost from ?ú25-50 and come on a pallet normally. The ratio of size to cost makes any other form of water buttress redundant. The equivalent in a garden centre would cost you hundreds of pounds. Utilising a downpipe collector from the main gutters would easily fill it. If I am not mistaken and you would need to DYOR but I think you are allowed to fill a water buttress with a hose. A very odd rule indeed but it was a loophole. There is then nothing to stop you attaching a pumped hose from the water buttress. Hey presto you are back in business. I am about to order a couple for my Mum's place as she has invested heavily in her garden over the last two years and at 78 just could not manage to water the garden with a watering can. Worth checking the law regarding hose pipe bans.

Dorothy... can you explain what an IBC is.... 1000lts is a whopper, and yet an equivalent cost to a garden centre butt?

UPDATE - I believe South East Water have exempted the Over 65s and Blue Badge holders from the ban.

RE - The roof. Probably a noise issue but you could easily make a frame out of corrugated plastic use that to angle water into the existing gutters. It would however have to be secured in some way and no doubt might fall foul of planning/building controls. Local council often have drop in advice on planning and building.

They are large industrial liquid storage units often used to hold diesel, chemicals, food products etc. Any you get need to have been fully cleaned and it os worth asking what they have held if you are watering your brussels with them.

1000L-IBC-Container.jpg

You have to consider how you keep the water fresh(ish) and where you locate them as you wouldn't want one in full sun. Some folk knock up a simple structure to hold them.

They are large industrial liquid storage units often used to hold diesel, chemicals, food products etc. Any you get need to have been fully cleaned and it os worth asking what they have held if you are watering your brussels with them.

View attachment 354

You have to consider how you keep the water fresh(ish) and where you locate them as you wouldn't want one in full sun. Some folk knock up a simple structure to hold them.

Thanks for this... must confess they are rather unsightly, but agree they are a far better bet than garden centre water butts

Pimp my IBC. They did indeed wall from the ugly buttress tree catching themselves on almost every branch but it's 'greenish' to reuse them, they store 3 and 4 times what the garden centre jobbies do and save you a fortune. With the frame I'd imagine you could easily wrap them in the some cladding or somesort to make them a little prettier. If you check ebay and do a spot of Googling there are other industrial types of liquid containers that are very cheap, very big and possibly not as ugly.

These IBCs with the cage on a pallet do weigh about 70-80kg and are a about 1m square so they are brutes to move and transport.

http://www.smithsofthedean.co.uk/IBCs & Baffled Tanks.htm

Rem that the tap is located very low making it quite tricky to fill a watering can etc. They are best sat on a fame or plinth. Consider the weight of 1000L of water being approx 1000kg at 4C.

Pimp my IBC. They did indeed wall from the ugly buttress tree catching themselves on almost every branch but it's 'greenish' to reuse them, they store 3 and 4 times what the garden centre jobbies do and save you a fortune. With the frame I'd imagine you could easily wrap them in the some cladding or somesort to make them a little prettier. If you check ebay and do a spot of Googling there are other industrial types of liquid containers that are very cheap, very big and possibly not as ugly.

These IBCs with the cage on a pallet do weigh about 70-80kg and are a about 1m square so they are brutes to move and transport.

Rem that the tap is located very low making it quite tricky to fill a watering can etc. They are best sat on a fame or plinth. Consider the weight of 1000L of water being approx 1000kg at 4C.

Mile A Minute, Russian Vine, call it what you will, superfast growing, has the bonus of tinkling the neighbours off too because of it's insidious nature.

As ever your posts are perfect and just what im looking for, thank GHod your back i can always rely on your for solid advice. I shall look into what you said and i think i will do it, i had thought of keeping the water underground in a butt i prefer this way though and yeah i would need to build something around it or i think it would heat up quite a bit in the summer as we are exposed where we are.

No way am i doing the plastic on the garage, the noise from the conservatory tinkles me off enough as it is already.

Really big thanks for the advice.

Back to your original question.... I have a number of harvesting devices at home as I live in an area of the UK on a chalk aquifer that drys out quickly, and has been in drought for two years.
****-ups I made initially were: 1) not mounting the waterbut/collection tank hign enough off the ground in order to get a watering can easily under the tap to use the stuff.... once the water but is full you can forget trying to move it... I believe 1 cubic metre of water weighs 1 metric tonne! I ended up having to empty the water tanks, then raising them clear of the ground by 40cms on brick and concrete piers so I can use the stuff. 2) Don't underestimate the amount of water you will be able to harvest off your pitched roof, nor how much you will use. I started with a single water tank, but quickly doubled this by having a pair of tanks that were interlinked set side by side. 3) Don't expect to be able to water the whole garden with your reservoir.... I ended up having to be ruthless... the flowers and grass were left to fend for themselves, and the veg got everything! 4) Shop around for the water tanks.... ebay has some bargains! As an earlier poster pointed out, Homebase have already doubled their prices!!!
This year I am looking at harvesting the bathwater too via a third tank as at least this would get refilled through the summer. I am just on the edge of the Thames Water region so we will have the hosepipe ban implemented, and policing it will be strictre this year I suspect.

Cheers for the advice mate, on a normal year i would think i could get enough water from the garage roof in harvested/stored properly to do the garden(im growing sweatcorn for the first time this year). Im in chichester but we have had sod all rain for months, i might even start beliving in global warming soon.

Cheers for the advice mate, on a normal year i would think i could get enough water from the garage roof in harvested/stored properly to do the garden(im growing sweatcorn for the first time this year). Im in chichester but we have had sod all rain for months, i might even start beliving in global warming soon.

My in laws live in North Mundham, and I swear they have a mediterranean micro-climate... the number of times they phone and say that it has been sunny and warm when we've had clouds and cold (but not much rain) on the Hampshire/Wiltshire border is bordering on the ridiculous. If they had a barbecue in February the bloody sun would be shining! Good luck with the sweetcorn, I tried it last year, and trust me, it needs brick loads of watering if you want corn that won't break your teeth!:eek:

Back