• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Any solicitors here?

Truth

David Bentley
Wind Up Merchant
Hi all

Excuse the self-indulgent nature of this thread, but here goes…

I’m a solicitor, approaching one year’s post qualification experience, longing for a move to bigger/better firm. Unfortunately, the conventional methods of job searching (agents, contacts etc) aren’t working, so I thought why not consult this fine forum.

Whilst this method really is the refuge of the desperate, I am desperate, as I sit here on a Friday afternoon, awaiting our next signing, unable to muster a modicum of motivation to work, knowing this firm has successfully eroded all my enthusiasm and drive – which takes some doing!

Long shot, of course, but is anyone here a solicitor or does anyone happen to know of any positions going, in any location?

Appreciate any advice/help.

Advice: Don't tell people you are asking for a job, that you sit in your current job doing nothing.

Hi all

I’m a solicitor, approaching one year’s post qualification experience, longing for a move to bigger/better firm. Unfortunately, the conventional methods of job searching (agents, contacts etc) aren’t working, so I thought why not consult this fine forum.

Whilst this method really is the refuge of the desperate, I am desperate, as I sit here on a Friday afternoon, awaiting our next signing, unable to muster a modicum of motivation to work, knowing this firm has successfully eroded all my enthusiasm and drive – which takes some doing!

Long shot, of course, but is anyone here a solicitor or does anyone happen to know of any positions going, in any location?

I'm not employing you. You spend all your time tinkling about on a forum.

;)

These responses were oh so predictable!!...but yes, I appreciate they had to be done :)

Hi all

Just graduated law school here in the US (we have a different system than you guys with regards to legal education, actually have a mandatory grad school for law instead of an apprenticeship program). I assume the legal hiring market is as bad in the UK currently as it is in the US?

Hi all

What's your discipline? And what sort of firm are you at currently? I am approaching 4 years PQE as a planning solicitor and currently work in local government having done around a three year stint in private practice at a city firm. Much better work / life balance but the money is not nearly as good.

Where you want / are able to go next is going to depend heavily on your practice area, location etc.

What's your discipline? And what sort of firm are you at currently? I am approaching 4 years PQE as a planning solicitor and currently work in local government having done around a three year stint in private practice at a city firm. Much better work / life balance but the money is not nearly as good.

Where you want / are able to go next is going to depend heavily on your practice area, location etc.

Im a DC officer in Local government as only just started a few months ago, didnt realise we had a full time planning lawyer in our place until recently as i never have to do s106, uu and the like.... its seems like a great job though.

Might not be much help but a recruitment agency just emailed me to say they have taken over a law recruitment agency who are supposed to be very good. Try looking at http://www.lawconsultants.co.uk/

Always worth a go to see what they have to say

By the way moving to a bigger/better firm like a city one might pay more but you usually spend your entire life in the office instead

I would definitely suggest a smaller firm first where you get good quality hands on experience fully involved from start to finish of a piece of work. The only way to learn, develop yourself and strengthen any weaknesses.

Then move on for the big bucks.

Im a DC officer in Local government as only just started a few months ago, didnt realise we had a full time planning lawyer in our place until recently as i never have to do s106, uu and the like.... its seems like a great job though.

Nice. It's a tough old job you guys have, particularly in light of the fact that just about every council is having to cut its planning / enforcement budget whilst ensuring that that there is no drop in the level or quality of service.

I do quite enjoy the autonomy I have at the moment, makes a nice change from having to account or explain everything I do to partners. It's also nice having in-house clients who I have been able to develop decent working relations with, so I always have steady stream of work from them.

Back