• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

We need to be more like Sevilla or A.Madrid and build with a clear ethos and identity, rather than trying to be Chelsea.
This is an important comment. If Spurs don't stand for attractive, attacking football, preferably with a sprinkling of young British players, then what is the point? Were we in the CL under Martin Jol or when we signed Modric or Berbatov? No, we weren't but we enjoyed the football and we loved supporting the club. Clearly the Chairman thinks that we need a "world-class" manager, to manage in our "world-class" stadium. He's wrong. We need a decent manager who can inspire and motivate the players, and who is flexible enough to change his system.
I 'm fed up to the back teeth with players constantly passing backwards, taking throw-ins backwards, etc etc. I can't wait till we have a manager who plays 3 in the middle and uses a creative, attacking midfielder and speedy wingers. We just might be fun to watch again.
Everything you mentioned points to Gallardo.

One of Gallardo’s greatest strengths is his tactical flexibility and adaptation to the opposition. He has a unique ability to change formations, approaches, style of play to what is needed to beat the opposition. To rework his systems radically when needed. He’s also great at knowing when to make substitutes and who to use. On a number of occasions, River has won vital games from goals by someone Gallardo has subbed in. He has the ability to see who the game needs and when that player is needed for River to win.

Gallardo has a rare bond with his players. They go to war for him, and he goes to war for them.

Another of Gallardo’s main strengths is his skill of developing young players and maximizing his players’ capabilities.

As an incentive for Gallardo to stay with River, the club’s board gave him the role of overseeing the club’s academy. Something he does together with his assistants Matias Biscany and Hernan Buján. They closely oversee the progress of all academy players from age elven and older. All youth games are recorded for them to analyze and they hold quarterly meetings with managers at each level to coordinate the academy players’ development closely. Gallardo, Biscany and Buján have also implemented a style of play and philosophy used by all age levels all the way up to the first team.

But presumably Paratici would have an input into who the next manager would be. So he’d want someone who he’d be happy to work with and vice versa. Not knowing how the Paratici situation is going to play out is a big cloud over everything. Possibly another reason why nothing will change until the end of the season.
I saw a headline from the Athletic yesterday about how Poch wouldn’t want to work with Paratici as Poch would want to have more control. ( I would not want or trust Poch to be overseeing transfers).

Just another example of why it’s not as simple as get rid of Conte and get new man in - even when it’s a free agent like Poch….

I saw a headline from the Athletic yesterday about how Poch wouldn’t want to work with Paratici as Poch would want to have more control. ( I would not want or trust Poch to be overseeing transfers).

Just another example of why it’s not as simple as get rid of Conte and get new man in - even when it’s a free agent like Poch….
Don’t worry…. We can bring Hitchen back!

We needed to score 2 goals to win, keep it tight and hope to nick a goal to take us into extra time with 10 men was not a great tactic.
Down to 10 men you look to score a goal to even the tie and take your chances in extra time and penalties. But that presupposes you don't let in any, so you can't ignore the defense. Expecting to score 2 without conceding in this type of situation is very wishful thinking, even if you're Emirates Marketing Project.

Can you give me a list? Any list of names needs to take into account that Levy turned down a Potter level of experience before when he was emminently gettable, so people like Frank, de Zerbi etc don't seem likely to cut it with Levy
Ah your thinking what levy what’s
I’m thinking what a fan wants
It was so bad yesterday a guy near me said Nuno would have done better ….

Poch would tick the boxes
I also think De Zerbi is showing his credentials
I think someone needs to take a gamble on Gallardo myself
I also think from what I’ve seen him do this season, fonseca is doing great stuff
The manager form Lisbon has impressed me

but in reality… it’s pochs job

Maybe Poch has got used to the set up now after his time at PSG?

Also, how many clubs nowadays dont have a DoF? I dont really see that a manager has the time during the season to be thinking about scouting

Down to 10 men you look to score a goal to even the tie and take your chances in extra time and penalties. But that presupposes you don't let in any, so you can't ignore the defense. Expecting to score 2 without conceding in this type of situation is very wishful thinking, even if you're Emirates Marketing Project.

It's a view but I believe the result gives my opinion greater weight.

If Paratici goes, then we should bring in the best damn DoF we can get our hands on. Spend whatever it takes (and it won't be that expensive, given our finances) and allow him to establish a playing style and philosophy that will persist across managers and hire managers to match it. Build world class scouting and analytics departments to identify the type of players that fit our philosophy. IMHO, this is the path to success, moreso than any manager we hire, and one that is lasting and not dependent on getting lucky with our managerial appointments.

Yes, I certainly wouldnt sack Paratici - far from it. He's had 3 decent transfer windows in a row so unless he's thrown in prison or can't work due to whatever charges he gets hit with, we should definitely be continuing with him

Honestly I don’t think he has. I don’t get why we haven’t signed any top centre back since Romero arrived in spite of crying out for one. Conte has said about the centre backs we have not being enough too. Plus we have no creative player aside from Kulusevski who isn’t at it right now. So why not?

I think he’s done ok but majorly failed in some areas.

If Paratici goes, then we should bring in the best damn DoF we can get our hands on. Spend whatever it takes (and it won't be that expensive, given our finances) and allow him to establish a playing style and philosophy that will persist across managers and hire managers to match it. Build world class scouting and analytics departments to identify the type of players that fit our philosophy. IMHO, this is the path to success, moreso than any manager we hire, and one that is lasting and not dependent on getting lucky with our managerial appointments.

We should get Rui Pedro Braz.

You'd need one that will say for a number of years. So that rules out luis campos. Wouldn't go for an italian. Christoph fruend from salzburg? Zorc from dortmund? monchi?

I don't think Conte and Paratici is a package deal. Levy can sack Conte now and wait to see what happens with Paratici, whom I would keep, if he is cleared of the charges.

Paratici decision is in the next 3-4 weeks apparently

I agree with this: majority of Gooners wanted Arteta gone last season and now look at them. However, we also need to have a manager that is invested in the club. Conte doesn’t seem to care about the now or the future. It seems like he’s stringing the club along until the end of the season and will then walk. We DO need to back the manager but we also need the manager to back the club. He’s not doing that. If he’d have been more positive when asked questions about his contract situation I’d have been pro keeping him. But he’s cryptic at best. Get rid.
our "project manager" was Poch - he was given time to get things going in his image. Conte is not a project manager in the way that Arteta is - Arteta is planning on staying at Arse for the long term, not for 3 seasons.

We can’t keep changing managers every time we have a bad spell.
I didn't feel it was time to get rid of Poch when we did. I absolutely wanted Mourinho to have the time with the full stadium and his midas touch for trophies til the end of his last season.

I can't stomach this tepid brick we're being spooned at the moment. I've been balanced and looked for positives, but there's a litany of issues at the moment most of which are to be found sat at Conte's door.

To name but a few:

The lack of imagination when things are going wrong.
The inability to coach a team of professionals on how to defend for 90 minutes.
The way some players play and play despite drops in form - Dier, Son, etc.
The complete refusal to change the system - last night we could have played four at the back, added Sarr in midfield, and pushed Sonny and Kulu higher up the pitch, safe in the knowledge we had Skipp, Emerson and Davies as defensive cover. Defensive players doing defensive jobs. Instead we got a back three which looked lost with the ball and scared without it.
The inabilty to get a tune out of seasoned high class forwards. Even Kulu is looking a shadow of himself now.
The man management - Spence, Richie, Tanganga, even Skipp wasn't best pleased at the start of the season.
The complete and utter lack of a plan B. Under Poch plan B was throwing on the mediocre big lad (Janssen, Llorente, etc) and pushing Kane deeper off them - all Conte does is the same system with a different player. Over, and over and over again.
Our Talisman is looking more and more disheartened and that sits at the manager's door - Kane looks annoyed and he's fair reason to be.

Enough's enough now - I never in my life thought I'd see Mourinho or Conte at Spurs, but having seen them both I can conclusively say we're not able to function with a 3 year "buy everyone win everything" manager - we don't do either part well enough.

You'd need one that will say for a number of years. So that rules out luis campos. Wouldn't go for an italian. Christoph fruend from salzburg? Zorc from dortmund? monchi?
I don't know much about Freund, but Zorc and Monchi have a pretty good track record. Whomever it is, we should try to get the best.

I didn't feel it was time to get rid of Poch when we did. I absolutely wanted Mourinho to have the time with the full stadium and his midas touch for trophies til the end of his last season.

I can't stomach this tepid brick we're being spooned at the moment. I've been balanced and looked for positives, but there's a litany of issues at the moment most of which are to be found sat at Conte's door.

To name but a few:

The lack of imagination when things are going wrong.
The inability to coach a team of professionals on how to defend for 90 minutes.
The way some players play and play despite drops in form - Dier, Son, etc.
The complete refusal to change the system - last night we could have played four at the back, added Sarr in midfield, and pushed Sonny and Kulu higher up the pitch, safe in the knowledge we had Skipp, Emerson and Davies as defensive cover. Defensive players doing defensive jobs. Instead we got a back three which looked lost with the ball and scared without it.
The inabilty to get a tune out of seasoned high class forwards. Even Kulu is looking a shadow of himself now.
The man management - Spence, Richie, Tanganga, even Skipp wasn't best pleased at the start of the season.
The complete and utter lack of a plan B. Under Poch plan B was throwing on the mediocre big lad (Janssen, Llorente, etc) and pushing Kane deeper off them - all Conte does is the same system with a different player. Over, and over and over again.
Our Talisman is looking more and more disheartened and that sits at the manager's door - Kane looks annoyed and he's fair reason to be.

Enough's enough now - I never in my life thought I'd see Mourinho or Conte at Spurs, but having seen them both I can conclusively say we're not able to function with a 3 year "buy everyone win everything" manager - we don't do either part well enough.
And to add to the list, one player that improved under Conte. I mean, just one that took his game to the next level under Conte. And I am not counting Benta, because his game was at a high level from when he got here. No one has improved under Conte, other than Royal, whose improvement you can probably attribute to us signing Porro and his incredible work ethic.

I don't think Conte and Paratici is a package deal. Levy can sack Conte now and wait to see what happens with Paratici, whom I would keep, if he is cleared of the charges.

Ditto - while recruitment is a tough game, I've seen enough in Paratici's signings to make me think he should be retained if there's no legal reason not to. One issue might be that Conte was the messiah Paratici wanted, he got him and its gone for a ball of chalk - could mean DL wants to clear the decks. I don't see it myself though.

Poch always wanted a DoF. He even brought in Planes and then Mitchell himself. He just wanted one he trusted and perhaps a bit better than Hitchin. If Poch and Paratici get on on a personal level, it should work fine.

Back