• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Re: Official - Townsend

On the England question though. Last two friendlies we saw Llalana being forced into the left sided hole when we all see him coming from a central position for Southampton. 433 with Llalana in the #10 role with Walcott and Townsend is a proposition worth considering

His cameo was OK today. I think we would have done better if he had played instead of Lennon today but I ain't complaining.

Certainly helped Townsend that he was fresh when he came on. Better sub in terms of impact than Siggy, IMO.

Good to see him get some minutes on the left, was starting to think that would never happen. Thought he looked bright, good sub from AVB as the game conditions were perfect for him.

Would be good to see him start on the left against Anzhi perhaps. I think that him proving himself capable of playing on both flanks could greatly help his chances of going to the World Cup and getting games when there.

nice to see a left footer on the left and vice versa

Townsend created two chances with runs and crosses on the left. Looked a threat and even had a good shot on goal

townsend is good at picking up players, he should stick to the left. i'm sure soldado will be asking for the same after watching yesterday's game.

Just said that he prefers the right side but is comfortable on either side being that he spent most his career playing on the left.

Also didn't realise he was playing with a fracture too. Not sure how wise that was with him saying he was only playing at 75%, fair play to him for playing with that though.

So Townsend said he does prefer the right because he can come inside on his left foot, but interestingly he said that up until the last couple of years he always played on the left wing. Which means he is naturally a left winger although he likes playing on the right. Suffice to say if Verts can play as a left back for the team then Andros can play on the left wing for the team

Haha. Plenty of people saying he's been developed as a right winger and now he comes out and says he was always a left winger up until a couple of years ago (think he played left at Yeovil). It's good though as because he's young he can play both positions and develop further, surely a good sign for the future.

Haha. Plenty of people saying he's been developed as a right winger and now he comes out and says he was always a left winger up until a couple of years ago (think he played left at Yeovil). It's good though as because he's young he can play both positions and develop further, surely a good sign for the future.

The best sides have attacking players who are flexible in their position and role. He has a great attitude and is developing his game still.

I like him on the left as it limits his opportunities to shoot on site for some reason but it also scares the right backs and puts them on the back foot which creates room for our left back (currently our weakest position)

Twitter / andros_townsend: Looking forward to getting some game time under my belt tonight! These last 3weeks have felt like 3months! 

Twitter / SpursOfficial: Andros Townsend returns from injury for our U21 team in their match against Saudi Sportswashing Machine tonight
Bd3NUFRCMAAFz6S.jpg:large

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/t...ndros_townsend_s_tottenham_comeback_1_3203162

Sherwood may still throw Townsend back into action at Swansea on Sunday and, having helped to develop the young star’s talent in the youth section, he is relishing the prospect of unleashing his protege again.

“Andros backs himself to be better than anyone else in the world, that’s the sort of character he is,” said the head coach. “He needs to get himself fit and firing again and I’m sure you’ll see the best of him.

“I’ve known him since he was a kid and he’s a good lad. He’s a top trainer and he wants to be playing in every minute of every game - but he will get his opportunities and I’m sure he will be productive between now and the end of the season for us.

“He wants to play wide and attack people. Wherever you put him on the pitch he will try and take people on.

“He can still learn from others, and Aaron [Lennon] for instance, at how to be more responsible when you’re tracking back. But also, other players can learn from Andros at how direct you can be at times, as there’s no point playing safe.

“The kid doesn’t know how to play safe. He wants to put people on their backside and he does it a lot of times.”

Sherwood added: “He needs to slow himself down on his shooting, and he knows that, but he’s probably one of the most two-footed players in that squad.

“He cuts in from the left and shoots with the right, and he does the same on the other side. He’s probably more accurate on his right side than he is on the left.

“He can learn more, but who are we judging him against? We’re not judging him against Bale or Ronaldo at the moment but you can certainly judge him against anything in the England squad.”

Townsend has made a strong start to his international career, scoring and winning the man of the match award on his debut against Montenegro at Wembley in November, before going on to wear the Three Lions shirt against Poland, Chile and Germany.

While he has recently been out of the picture due to his injury, the winger’s prospects of being selected in Roy Hodgson’s squad for the summer’s World Cup have probably improved because Arsenal flier Theo Walcott has been ruled out for six months with cruciate knee ligament damage.

However, Sherwood believes Townsend may well have got the nod over the Gunners man anyway, and he is expecting a close battle between the two in future.

“Give me a wide player in the England squad and I’ll give pros and cons for both of them – I’m not going to be biased towards my own players,” said the Spurs boss.

“Obviously I like Andros and I know what his qualities are. He gets past people, he makes goals and he can score goals.

“Theo doesn’t mind running without the ball. He ducks in and out and bends his runs off that touchline into a centre forward position.

“Andros likes to have the ball at his feet and get past people. They are similar in that they are both young, British and are very direct but one is very direct with the ball and one without it.

“I think Theo played at a young age. I’ve mentioned Southampton before and they bring a lot of players through. It’s not because their recruitment is better. Well, I’ve got to show respect to their recruitment – I’m not sure if it’s good, bad or indifferent.

“One thing they have got over a lot of big clubs is opportunity. They put players on the stage and allow them to perform. Some of these boys might not be ready for the palladium that is Tottenham, but they get a chance to build their way up.

“It takes someone longer to play at Tottenham or Arsenal than it does anywhere else. If Andros was at Southampton, with respect to them, he would have a played a long time ago.”

Given that Sherwood was involved in Spurs’ youth development before being promoted to head coach last month, he has hinted that the lack of opportunities for young players under previous regimes has been a source of irritation for him.

“With my job in the development phase, I was banging on the door all the time for a lot of the boys,” he said. “I now know that the manager has his head on the block and it’s up to him to make that decision.

“If the club are buying players and have got more comfort with the international players who are coming in, they’ve got to go that way. They can only go with what they trust.

“Is the problem foreign coaches? I don’t think anyone gave Andros more opportunity that Andre [Villas-Boas], and he was a foreign coach.

“He really did take his opportunity under Andre. It’s about the football club where they’re at - and it’s a bigger stage than Southampton.”

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/t...ndros_townsend_s_tottenham_comeback_1_3203162

Sherwood may still throw Townsend back into action at Swansea on Sunday and, having helped to develop the young star’s talent in the youth section, he is relishing the prospect of unleashing his protege again.

“Andros backs himself to be better than anyone else in the world, that’s the sort of character he is,” said the head coach. “He needs to get himself fit and firing again and I’m sure you’ll see the best of him.

“I’ve known him since he was a kid and he’s a good lad. He’s a top trainer and he wants to be playing in every minute of every game - but he will get his opportunities and I’m sure he will be productive between now and the end of the season for us.

“He wants to play wide and attack people. Wherever you put him on the pitch he will try and take people on.

“He can still learn from others, and Aaron [Lennon] for instance, at how to be more responsible when you’re tracking back. But also, other players can learn from Andros at how direct you can be at times, as there’s no point playing safe.

“The kid doesn’t know how to play safe. He wants to put people on their backside and he does it a lot of times.”

Sherwood added: “He needs to slow himself down on his shooting, and he knows that, but he’s probably one of the most two-footed players in that squad.

“He cuts in from the left and shoots with the right, and he does the same on the other side. He’s probably more accurate on his right side than he is on the left.

“He can learn more, but who are we judging him against? We’re not judging him against Bale or Ronaldo at the moment but you can certainly judge him against anything in the England squad.”

Townsend has made a strong start to his international career, scoring and winning the man of the match award on his debut against Montenegro at Wembley in November, before going on to wear the Three Lions shirt against Poland, Chile and Germany.

While he has recently been out of the picture due to his injury, the winger’s prospects of being selected in Roy Hodgson’s squad for the summer’s World Cup have probably improved because Arsenal flier Theo Walcott has been ruled out for six months with cruciate knee ligament damage.

However, Sherwood believes Townsend may well have got the nod over the Gunners man anyway, and he is expecting a close battle between the two in future.

“Give me a wide player in the England squad and I’ll give pros and cons for both of them – I’m not going to be biased towards my own players,” said the Spurs boss.

“Obviously I like Andros and I know what his qualities are. He gets past people, he makes goals and he can score goals.

“Theo doesn’t mind running without the ball. He ducks in and out and bends his runs off that touchline into a centre forward position.

“Andros likes to have the ball at his feet and get past people. They are similar in that they are both young, British and are very direct but one is very direct with the ball and one without it.

“I think Theo played at a young age. I’ve mentioned Southampton before and they bring a lot of players through. It’s not because their recruitment is better. Well, I’ve got to show respect to their recruitment – I’m not sure if it’s good, bad or indifferent.

“One thing they have got over a lot of big clubs is opportunity. They put players on the stage and allow them to perform. Some of these boys might not be ready for the palladium that is Tottenham, but they get a chance to build their way up.

“It takes someone longer to play at Tottenham or Arsenal than it does anywhere else. If Andros was at Southampton, with respect to them, he would have a played a long time ago.”

Given that Sherwood was involved in Spurs’ youth development before being promoted to head coach last month, he has hinted that the lack of opportunities for young players under previous regimes has been a source of irritation for him.

“With my job in the development phase, I was banging on the door all the time for a lot of the boys,” he said. “I now know that the manager has his head on the block and it’s up to him to make that decision.

“If the club are buying players and have got more comfort with the international players who are coming in, they’ve got to go that way. They can only go with what they trust.

“Is the problem foreign coaches? I don’t think anyone gave Andros more opportunity that Andre [Villas-Boas], and he was a foreign coach.

“He really did take his opportunity under Andre. It’s about the football club where they’re at - and it’s a bigger stage than Southampton.”

Good and refreshingly honest appraisal of Townsend in that interview. I am warming to Sherwood more and more.

He probably needed that break, it felt like he was beginning to lose his way just before he got injured.

You sense that he's the type of player who can only play to his best in short bursts, so hopefully he'll come back that much refreshed and fired-up. There again he maybe needs to reign in some of his impetuosity, to learn when best to shoot and when to pass the ball. If he can just get that bit right he's got the raw talent to take us places.

Back