• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Re: Official - Townsend

AVB said before the game he was resting the internationals. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Theories are great but life works on facts.

AVB said before the game he was resting the internationals. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Theories are great but life works on facts.

He started Paulinho and Lamela who had flown to the US then made further internal flight in the US to their next game and then flew back to the UK.
Those would have been the two i would have rested, not played 2 games in London Townsend.

Thankfully I didn't get to see the game...

That said; I'm surprised there haven't been many posts on this particular thread seeing as a lot of posters blame Andros for our failings...

Should he have played? or would we have lost 15-0 with him on the right 'trying' to make something happen?

I think it's irrelevant, the game was lost before we'd got the ball lto their half

Superb article.
IMO the article is unfair to Townsend because he is the victim of Tottenham's high-line tactics which compress the play and allows opponents to block off the flanks, obliging him to cut in towards an already crowded penalty area.

Even the best attacks in world football struggle to breakdown such resolute rearguard strategies - witness Barcelona and Bayern v Chelsea in the CL the other year. But it's the parked-bus approach that Spurs' high-line dictates all the time.

The odds of Townsend getting a telling pass through such crowded areas to Soldado, a lone striker always surrounded by defenders, are inevitably reduced, so it's no wonder he opts to shoots from range. He has a decent strike on him but he's no Bale. Even so he's had a fair amount of success in the cups, but of course that doesn't really count for much.

The article should have addressed AVB's inept tactical approach, not its victims.

Not sure you can lay it all at the coach though. The style of play of high possession teams is something alien to Townsend but that doesn't mean he can't fit into the system. I mean Ronaldo sits wide in the Madrid team that have plenty of possession. He still gets to run at players, it's just a matter of receiving the ball in space in the right position to drive in from. Just saying that a winger can convert into the system.

IMO the article is unfair to Townsend because he is the victim of Tottenham's high-line tactics which compress the play and allows opponents to block off the flanks, obliging him to cut in towards an already crowded penalty area.

Even the best attacks in world football struggle to breakdown such resolute rearguard strategies - witness Barcelona and Bayern v Chelsea in the CL the other year. But it's the parked-bus approach that Spurs' high-line dictates all the time.

The odds of Townsend getting a telling pass through such crowded areas to Soldado, a lone striker always surrounded by defenders, are inevitably reduced, so it's no wonder he opts to shoots from range. He has a decent strike on him but he's no Bale. Even so he's had a fair amount of success in the cups, but of course that doesn't really count for much.

The article should have addressed AVB's inept tactical approach, not its victims.

Maybe playing against deep defences plays a part, but there's no way it is the only factor. It is just in Townsend's nature to shoot from outside the box.

The odds of Townsend getting a telling pass through such crowded areas to Soldado, a lone striker always surrounded by defenders, are inevitably reduced, so it's no wonder he opts to shoots from range.

Yep.

For all Townsend weaknesses he puts defenders on the back foot and occupies them far more than any of our other attackers

It's no coincidence that Chelsea got more in the game with Mata on and Townsend off as cole had no one to worry about.

He is greedy and shoots on sight but he does work hard and if he is cutting in then their must be room for others to utilise surely?

He does occupy the opposition defenders, and thats great if he then takes advantage of that, but he so rarely does.
Last night it was blind alley after blind alley.
Soldado looks so frustrated by Townsend's decision making.

Townsend was intelligent again last night.

There is f'ck all to be gained by punting the ball to Soldado on his own marked by 5 defenders in the box.

He shot a couple of times, made short passes, went inside , outside.

I thought he looked great playing on the left today. Created two goalscoring opportunities for his teammates, stretched the field wide, and played with his typical pace.

I'd love to see him start there.

I thought he looked great playing on the left today. Created two goalscoring opportunities for his teammates, stretched the field wide, and played with his typical pace.

I'd love to see him start there.

Agree, did well when he came on. I prefer him on the left as when he plays on the right he just cuts in and blasts it over the bar.

Lennon and Townsend out wide also means we'll attack with more pace and directness. Chadli just slows us down as he ponders on the ball, takes too many touches and doesn't really go at his man enough

The left is his natural position for me. We can see that he can cause problems from the left as it's his natural side, he'll beat the full back with pace and then whip one into the box. We also saw that he can come across the pitch and cause problems all over. I think he also showed intelligence at times looking up to find a better pass and he always manages to get a shot on target.

The left is his natural position for me. We can see that he can cause problems from the left as it's his natural side, he'll beat the full back with pace and then whip one into the box. We also saw that he can come across the pitch and cause problems all over. I think he also showed intelligence at times looking up to find a better pass and he always manages to get a shot on target.

I have ben saying all season that Townsend should be playing on the left but a number of people on here including Gutter Boy have been telling me he cannot play there. He is a winger, and although he is too footed his left foot is his strongest so how the heck can he not play there?

Until AVB has got all his players settled then he can start working on his inverted wingers, until then - I really prefer orthodox winger, particularly seeing that we don't have a left back!

How will Andros on the left intefere with his chances with England?

Looked really good in that cameo on the left. Come on AVB, do it. We will go back to really stretching teams

Until AVB has got all his players settled then he can start working on his inverted wingers, until then - I really prefer orthodox winger, particularly seeing that we don't have a left back!

How will Andros on the left intefere with his chances with England
?

I doubt it will to be fair, he's probably still the best option for the left hand side and it allows Walcott to play on the right.

To be honest with Andros on the left for England we won't have to suffer Hodgson trying to fit Welbeck into that spot.

As for us: Many of us on here have been crying out for AVB to use him there to solve our problems on the left. He had 20 minutes?? And he created great goalscoring oppurtunities.

Back