• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

So we have a Spurs product, a Spurs fan, an England international (briefly but a scorer), two footed to a very good degree, pacey...

Let's get feckin' rid FFS!!! Even before our new manager has had a chance to manage him!!!

I'm always a tad biased towards local and youth players but I can also spot a potential player (wasn't convinced by Caulker unfortunately).

Has Andros said he wants to leave? NO! FFS! Get behind the real Tottenham boys when they have something about them PLEASE!

A club are willing to pay 12m for a guy that is addicted to shooting from terrible positions on the pitch and seemingly is immune to coaching!
Look at how bad his shooting is.

Townsend.png

That's crazy money. We've only sold five players in our history for more than that.
He is only seen to be worth 12m because of how bad Hodgson's England are that he's ended up playing International football.
Once he misses a few squads we will never see anything like that kind of money for him.

So we have a Spurs product, a Spurs fan, an England international (briefly but a scorer), two footed to a very good degree, pacey...

Let's get feckin' rid FFS!!! Even before our new manager has had a chance to manage him!!!

I'm always a tad biased towards local and youth players but I can also spot a potential player (wasn't convinced by Caulker unfortunately).

Has Andros said he wants to leave? NO! FFS! Get behind the real Tottenham boys when they have something about them PLEASE!

=D>

yup, this.I still think he offers more than Lennon, even on a bad day, and actually looks like he could score 6 or 7 goals in a season if he got a good run of games.I guess people forget how good he looked before he got injured last season, was Englands star performer aswell and would have been a starter in the world cup imo.

yup, this.I still think he offers more than Lennon, even on a bad day, and actually looks like he could score 6 or 7 goals in a season if he got a good run of games.I guess people forget how good he looked before he got injured last season, was Englands star performer aswell and would have been a starter in the world cup imo.

i heartily disagree. I don't necessarily think we should sell him BUT Azza is a hell of a lot better than people seem to think...

i heartily disagree. I don't necessarily think we should sell him BUT Azza is a hell of a lot better than people seem to think...

I think offensively Townsend offers more than Lennon , he can shoot (with his both feet) , can cut inside or down to line.

I am not saying Lennon is that bad but in recent years we seems praise for his contribution in defending more than attacking and for a RMF/ RW , that is strange .

I like Lennon, good servant to the club and always puts in a good shift, but dosn't offer anywhere near enough assists or goals to be a starter, imo.And at the age he is now that wont ever change, and his pace will start to go off in a year or two.
I know Townsend has only scored 1 for us in pl ( i think ? ) but i think he looks like he has the potential to get 7 or 8 if he was starting and his confidence was up.He isnt scared to run at defenders either.I just dont think Lennon ever looks a threat anymore, sadly.

The only bits that have any meaning are two footed and pacy. I suspect someone with a better memory than me could reel off a very, very long list of PL players who started from that point and faded into nothing.

There's a chance Townsend can make those attributes work, but I fancy our chances more with the money than I do with Townsend.

The only bits that have any meaning are two footed and pacy. I suspect someone with a better memory than me could reel off a very, very long list of PL players who started from that point and faded into nothing.

There's a chance Townsend can make those attributes work, but I fancy our chances more with the money than I do with Townsend.

Couldn't agree more.

Townsend is a weird one and at a strange plateux in his career. He has the physical abilities but he is still a bit like a headless chicken at times. I think he has the talent to become a very good player, and for me I would like to see what MoPo can do with him and give him another year in the squad under him learning.

When he plays purely on the left wing he has a good cross on him. We know he has a good shot on him, but he tries to hard he seems to snatch at chances. I feel we need him in the squad and would like to see how he can progress under a manager who improves his players.

I think offensively Townsend offers more than Lennon , he can shoot (with his both feet) , can cut inside or down to line.

I am not saying Lennon is that bad but in recent years we seems praise for his contribution in defending more than attacking and for a RMF/ RW , that is strange .

Townsend CAN do all these things, but he NEVER delivers. The only thing he consistently offers is gifting the opposition the ball.

Even if Lennon doesn't do enough of the stuff that would make a MOTD highlights reel, he's still a massively superior player.

Townsend CAN do all these things, but he NEVER delivers. The only thing he consistently offers is gifting the opposition the ball.

Even if Lennon doesn't do enough of the stuff that would make a MOTD highlights reel, he's still a massively superior player.

No he's not.

I personally rate Lennon over Townsend currently, however Townsend is a few years younger and therefore might still be able to improve materially with the right coaching. His main weakness is decision making - he can go left side or right side but often makes the wrong choice and often shoots or passes when the other option would be better. These are things which can be coached. Pace cant be coached and two-footedness takes a lot of coaching. I think we should keep him to see whether we can exploit these raw abilities; if not flog in a year or two rather than now

I personally rate Lennon over Townsend currently, however Townsend is a few years younger and therefore might still be able to improve materially with the right coaching. His main weakness is decision making - he can go left side or right side but often makes the wrong choice and often shoots or passes when the other option would be better. These are things which can be coached. Pace cant be coached and two-footedness takes a lot of coaching. I think we should keep him to see whether we can exploit these raw abilities; if not flog in a year or two rather than now
You can't always coach decision making.

Some people just aren't bright enough. Some who are bright enough can't make decisions quickly. Some who can do both just can't do it under pressure.

If we're comparing the reasons why people think one should stay and the other go then we have to get into particulars for the positions they play in.

A defender's job profile is probably a little less demanding or complicated than an attacking player (note I say JP not job) and that comes from someone who played to a decent standard as a Sweeper/CB and LB (as I got older and slower :D). For me, a defender has to read the game first and foremost - they are watching the game, this gives them the advantage to utilise their physical abilities moreso and judge matters based on what they think they can do. They are reactive.

An attacking player is pro-active and has to create - they will make mistakes (see Lamela last week) but are allowed a bit more leeway because goals win games. If they can be more creative through their abilities then even better for them.

Just realised I'm going off one here and probably better I respond when I'm fresher in the morning. To simplify; I think Caulker compared to the market rate is average (based on my JP above); I think Andros has a lot more potential to be above market rate. That is my opinion and as I mention; it's moreso based on me playing in Caulker's position to a decent standard (for the record; I would have been his foil).

Not sure if you're any fresher today ;)

but to continue down the route of simplification. What you then seemingly disagree with is how highly people rate Townsend (and in part, how highly he should be rated compared to Caulker). Not so much a disagreement about how people react to academy players being linked away from the club.

Unless what you're saying about Townsend also extends to players you don't personally rate as good enough to keep I don't see why you would expect others to follow that advice for players they don't rate as good enough to keep.

I think his decision making against West Ham is better than before (though only one game).

Let's see what can he do tonight.

I started a post about why I want homegrown players to succeed and then felt I did the response no justice. Unless, you've grown up in the area (pretty deprived) and tried to go through the ranks to represent your local team - you have absolutely no idea of what it means. I've recognised the good and ****e primary schools in the borough, the feeling when you wore your primary school colours, the players who could rip you apart (not only in footie but other sportsday events during the Haringey district sports) and your efforts were to represent your borough (which I did) and by any such luck - a local team (Leyton Orient were the cool club). So any chance you moved on up through the ranks was a dream come true - we all knew who was doing that (Chris Bart Williams during my days, and we all respected him and admired him for being the local lad who actually made it). It is such an effort! So for me; Andros represents that effort and is someone who I relate to as a local lad and be it someone who tried to get to this team some 20+ years ago. He also represents the local diaspora (being mixed-race, half Greek-Cypriot).

I relate to my local-area more than I relate to this country; that includes all the ****e I hate (I do get a little hung up on nouveau-working class who in my opinion are non-community and lesser law following)...

He is sh1t tonight admittedly :D

Back