• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Re: Official - Townsend

Or perhaps others rate his performances compared to the other players differently than you do?

Clearly!

To be honest, Townsends contribution is way more than Siggys but he gets way more stick on here, not to mention groans from the crowd. And I love Sig but it's clear.

When Townsend shot on Sunday and missed, the crowd crowned something rotten. I was furious because it was the kind of reaction that could stop a player trying things. I was so happy when 2 minutes later he attempted a shot and forced a good save out of Krul.

He's got criticism almost like to balance out the England hype, when you'd think we'd be proud a youth product has worked his **** off to forge a career. Comments like 'he thinks he's Bale' are not helpful, but people deride him for shooting. It's almost like because he isn't in the mould of the footballing hipsters style of player - Iniesta lite - that he's no good for us.

Clearly!

To be honest, Townsends contribution is way more than Siggys but he gets way more stick on here, not to mention groans from the crowd. And I love Sig but it's clear.

When Townsend shot on Sunday and missed, the crowd crowned something rotten. I was furious because it was the kind of reaction that could stop a player trying things. I was so happy when 2 minutes later he attempted a shot and forced a good save out of Krul.

He's got criticism almost like to balance out the England hype, when you'd think we'd be proud a youth product has worked his **** off to forge a career. Comments like 'he thinks he's Bale' are not helpful, but people deride him for shooting. It's almost like because he isn't in the mould of the footballing hipsters style of player - Iniesta lite - that he's no good for us.

Well said. I also think that some forget that young players breaking into the first team need time to settle down, perhaps even ore than an expensive foreign import. Players like Soldado, Eriksen, Paulinho etc. have all been regular first-team starters for some years, a player like Townsend has to get used to that AS WELL AS the pace of the premier league.

Clearly!

I think people are just getting a bit fed up with Townsend's constant shooting from outside the box. I know I am.

I think people are just getting a bit fed up with Townsend's constant shooting from outside the box. I know I am.

He actually does have a good shot though. He doesn't **** every shot into the stands, many times he tests the keeper with a fierce drive that's on target. Eventually those kind of shots will go in. Compare to someone like Paulinho who takes a couple of pot shots a game and has literally skied every single one of them.

The other argument is that Townsend needs to mix up his game, but I've seen him in every single game get to the byline and put in good crosses with his right. But it's like people want to ignore it or hold him up to some ludicrous standard because he isn't a tiki-taka style player. I can't think of any other reason why we would be against one of our own, who proved infront of the nation what he could do. It's crazy.

He's also going through exactly what Bale went through, in that he is treble marked now. So, 10 games into his career at the club, he has already been looked upon as the biggest threat in the team. That's going to make it very difficult to shine until we can go through the adjustment period that happens with all players where we figure out the movements to get him involved and to get the ball into the dangerous areas left vacant. Every single young player that can provide any danger goes through this. But people have given up and decided he's a hit and hope one trick pony when I actually see someone with a good shot, excellent dribbling ability, a great touch, fantastic pace and the confidence to be a real big player and affect a top team.

I seriously hope our crowd doesn't ruin it.

He actually does have a good shot though. He doesn't **** every shot into the stands, many times he tests the keeper with a fierce drive that's on target. Eventually those kind of shots will go in. Compare to someone like Paulinho who takes a couple of pot shots a game and has literally skied every single one of them.

The other argument is that Townsend needs to mix up his game, but I've seen him in every single game get to the byline and put in good crosses with his right. But it's like people want to ignore it or hold him up to some ludicrous standard because he isn't a tiki-taka style player. I can't think of any other reason why we would be against one of our own, who proved infront of the nation what he could do. It's crazy.

He's also going through exactly what Bale went through, in that he is treble marked now. So, 10 games into his career at the club, he has already been looked upon as the biggest threat in the team. That's going to make it very difficult to shine until we can go through the adjustment period that happens with all players where we figure out the movements to get him involved and to get the ball into the dangerous areas left vacant. Every single young player that can provide any danger goes through this. But people have given up and decided he's a hit and hope one trick pony when I actually see someone with a good shot, excellent dribbling ability, a great touch, fantastic pace and the confidence to be a real big player and affect a top team.

Well said.

Townsend needs to be on the bench for the next few games.

Maybe, from that view he will be able to see where he is going wrong.

A good young player, but maybe trying too hard.

[video=youtube;6CLf34tRxC0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CLf34tRxC0[/video]

Agreed that he has a good shot. But the fact remains that he has had more shots than any other PL player (45) and that not one of them has gone in. And Mumorn's video above shows a few good examples of him shooting when he should be getting his head up and playing a simple pass.

Still, the video also shows what a talented player he is, and I agree that anyone who is writing him off is a fool. But at the same time, I'd also find it weird if anyone can't understand why people find it frustrating when he shoots when he should be passing, which he does quite often. (Though admittedly I think that many people are feeling frustrated in general about our lack of goals, and so unleash that frustration out on specific players in a way that is magnified).

2, 3, sometimes even 4 men marking him in that game. I think he's been fantastic for us.

When Bale was wide left it was at times quite simple to mark him out of the game. Just put 3 defenders on him. The only difference was his end product was deadly. 'Arry used to get ripped by our fans for trying Bale out wide right but he was just trying to get him some space to work with. Bale needed that space. Especially against packed defenses. Sure he could push a ball past 2 or 3 men on the counter and fly past them all, but against packed defenses when we were dominating possession, he was left to just hit ridiculous game winners from outside the 18 (not complaining \o/ ). It wasn't until he was given the free role with AVB that he really blossomed.

Townsend however is showing his ability against compact defenses, and has the confidence to run at or around 2 or 3 defenders with his head up to see a pass or to work with Walker on the overlap. He's also got use of two feet in tight areas which Bale never really had that gives him more options. Sure he'll hit some into row Z at times, but I'd rather have him out there taking players on than Lennon passing back to Walker every time only for us to switch play and repeat.

In no way am I saying Townsend's a better player than Bale, but for this TEAM, and what we need, I'm saying he might just turn out to be a better fit.

Looks like poor mans Lennon from the clips. He is very, very rarely incisive . A winger who does not set up chances and can't direct his shots .

Everytime he gets the ball I always feel nothing is going to come from it. He does very little in the danger areas . He also very predictable.

His dribbles are the equivalent of square passing. Very strange player, quite weird.

Beat his man , but is so ineffective . Will never ever gets the goals and assists we need. May get them in the Championship,but not the Prem.

2, 3, sometimes even 4 men marking him in that game. I think he's been fantastic for us.

When Bale was wide left it was at times quite simple to mark him out of the game. Just put 3 defenders on him. The only difference was his end product was deadly. 'Arry used to get ripped by our fans for trying Bale out wide right but he was just trying to get him some space to work with. Bale needed that space. Especially against packed defenses. Sure he could push a ball past 2 or 3 men on the counter and fly past them all, but against packed defenses when we were dominating possession, he was left to just hit ridiculous game winners from outside the 18 (not complaining \o/ ). It wasn't until he was given the free role with AVB that he really blossomed.

Townsend however is showing his ability against compact defenses, and has the confidence to run at or around 2 or 3 defenders with his head up to see a pass or to work with Walker on the overlap. He's also got use of two feet in tight areas which Bale never really had that gives him more options. Sure he'll hit some into row Z at times, but I'd rather have him out there taking players on than Lennon passing back to Walker every time only for us to switch play and repeat.

In no way am I saying Townsend's a better player than Bale, but for this TEAM, and what we need, I'm saying he might just turn out to be a better fit.

That should open up space in the middle of the pitch if we could move the ball quicker though. It's up to the players and AVB to capitalize on that situation, it should be a good thing for the team if he is getting triple marked (which he was). IMO the problem is that we move the ball too slowly to make use of the spaces that it opens up in other areas of the pitch. Every player (except a few like Eriksen and Holtby) spends so much time on the ball that the defending players just shuffle across to mark whichever player has the ball.

Did you see the MoTD analysis? Saudi Sportswashing Machine came with a specific game plan for Townsend. He at least tried hard maybe too hard and it wasnt his best game for us. Personally I put the blame on the manager and other players for not having the nous to exploit the space elsewhere on the pitch.

Clearly!

No I didn't.

I'm sure Saudi Sportswashing Machine did, and Townsend has to adapt just like all other good players have had to adapt. His weaknesses are showing and his strengths aren't because other teams know about him now.

A good way to start exploiting that space would be if Townsend started releasing the ball quicker on occasion. As far as I can see it's not like opponents are standing 2-3 players around him when the ball is in another part of the pitch, they crowd him when he gets the ball. That's the time to quickly move the ball to another part of the pitch, but every time Townsend then takes 5-6 touches, runs into a blind alley or ends up shooting into the block that opportunity is gone.

My point was one about accepting that other people just rate what they see differently than you, but feel free to keep insulting others by calling them football hipsters or whatever if you feel the need to assume that there must be some unreasonable bias behind their opinions for them to differ from yours.

For a full game highlight video that's not really impressive.

Several situations in there where he could have released the ball quickly, but didn't. Several shots that are blocked where you would be hard pressed to say that the defender made a good block, they just quite comfortably closed him down because it was so obvious what was coming and Townsend took so many touches before getting his shot away.

And just to be clear, I'm not writing him off, I'm not saying he's **** and I'm not saying we should sell him. I just don't think he's as good right now as he's been hyped up to be and that because of his weaknesses he's not being particularly effective for us despite being talented. If he can iron out those weaknesses in his game and become a true star and thus an obvious first choice only time will tell I suppose. I'm positive as he has a lot of raw talent.

My point was one about accepting that other people just rate what they see differently than you, but feel free to keep insulting others by calling them football hipsters or whatever if you feel the need to assume that there must be some unreasonable bias behind their opinions for them to differ from yours.

!! Football hipsters isn't really an insult, more of a light hearted dig! But I have to say something provocative because I'm arguing against people that see all contributions from all players on the pitch, and somehow more of these people think Townsend deserves more stick than other players, despite doing more for the team. And while being treble marked.

Sure, he could pass sometimes rather than shoot. So could Bale. So could Ronaldo. Doesn't take away his threat. But the fact is he is creating chances, shooting well and putting in dangerous crosses. And in a team whose attack clearly isn't functioning yet. The criticism is way over the top, and my saying football hipsters is just to get across the point that people are criticising him for being in the pacey and direct mould, rather than the tiki-taka mould, as if one is better than the other.

I would say the only mould that is better is one that allows you to fit into the system AVB is trying to implement. Townsend seems to be able to fit. So will Lamela. I'm entirely happy with Lamela being held back and I'm sure he will become a force later in the season. Right now though Townsend is doing a great job.

I am critical of him because I don't think he contributes much to the team at all. Dribbling past 54 players if you lose the ball 52 of those times isn't productive, it's wasteful. When Saudi Sportswashing Machine had two or three players on him, what if he had lifted his head and passed it on instead? There's a small chance we could have done something with the space that has opened up.

I am critical of him because I don't think he contributes much to the team at all. Dribbling past 54 players if you lose the ball 52 of those times isn't productive, it's wasteful. When Saudi Sportswashing Machine had two or three players on him, what if he had lifted his head and passed it on instead? There's a small chance we could have done something with the space that has opened up.

Did you watch the clips of Townsend in the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game above. If so, how can you say he does not have his head up? He made several of our best chances including the cross that Eriksen should have buried.The point is he at least tries something. Full credit to the lad for that. Of course it will not always come off, but I for one want him to keep trying.

Looks like poor mans Lennon from the clips. He is very, very rarely incisive . A winger who does not set up chances and can't direct his shots .

Everytime he gets the ball I always feel nothing is going to come from it. He does very little in the danger areas . He also very predictable.

His dribbles are the equivalent of square passing. Very strange player, quite weird.

Beat his man , but is so ineffective . Will never ever gets the goals and assists we need. May get them in the Championship,but not the Prem.

:ross:

Please Mods put this post into Classics. CF is the gift that just keeps giving.

I wonder in a few years how red his face will be when he re-reads some of these lines.

He literally played a huge part in the Eriksen and Paulinho chances that were missed from 6 yards. Along with a lot of other positive contributions. What else do you want?

And yet I see you want him to start against City ! :-k

Back