• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Re: Official - Townsend

which bit about what i said?

edit:- if you mean someone condemning people for taking offence...i'm actually still yet to see someone of black ethnic decent get ****ed off at another black guy for taking offense to it. thats the bit i dont get

why get peeved that someone might find that offensive?

That's what I was talking about yeah.

You don't feel that what Collymore said fits the bill?

but taking offence at what, Roy delivered an analogy, he didn't call anyone a monkey

this is true, but you cant control how people percieve that comment , hence you can control how they will react and why.

roy used an analogy, but even using an analogy like that in an innocent situation is risky if its referring to black guy. thats just the way it is

i'm actually just picturing working in my office and my MD is so pleased at my work ...he looks up at the rest of the office "see what emeka did, feed him, feed the monkey!!!!"

awkward:ross:

That's what I was talking about yeah.

You don't feel that what Collymore said fits the bill?

not even close. he is right though, why should he make the connection of monkey to black man. (i think he is lieing there btw but he is right in that it shouldnt be automatic)

but i am yet to see him condemn and get irate/ ****ed off at someone for saying that they feel offended by the comments directed at townsend. it just smacks of being from a different reality to the one i have seen which as far as many people of my back ground are concerened.....have experienced also.

maybe thats it, maybe its an enviroment thing?

one thing i wont accept....is that someone should be victimised for finding it offensive

It's funny to me that Roy's HT talk was "get the ball to Andros" which was exactly what I suggested AVB's HT talk should be for the WHU game.

this is true, but you cant control how people percieve that comment , hence you can control how they will react and why.

roy used an analogy, but even using an analogy like that in an innocent situation is risky if its referring to black guy. thats just the way it is

i'm actually just picturing working in my office and my MD is so pleased at my work ...he looks up at the rest of the office "see what emeka did, feed him, feed the monkey!!!!"

awkward:ross:

in that context yes it would be awkward, but not if your boss had spent the previous 20 minutes explaining about NASA's monkey, then the meaning would be wholly different, and thats the thing about language, context is everything

I completely agree with your first line there, you cannot control what people perceive, but if they get the wrong end of the stick that does not make you automatically guilty

Lord Ouseley said Hodgson’s comments were "not a hanging offence"
http://news.sky.com/story/1155794/hodgson-monkey-joke-should-be-investigated

Hold on a minute....remember "we don't care when you're hanging from a tree"?

If it is not racist, it has racist connotations. It is hardly a massive leap from the words 'hanging from a tree' to the Lynch Laws in America, when black people were routinely found hanging from a tree.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ar...eful-abuse-Sol-Campbell-gone-long-enough.html

That was a despicable chant but IMHO it wasn't actually racist. But if we are going to say that a reference to hanging is racist well, Lord Kick-It-Out needs to be handing in his notice.

IMHO he's not made a racist remark, neither has Roy. The only clearly racist party here is The Sun newspaper.

**** me](*,) hope you don't take this as an attack on you, but I'm sick of people making the reference of that chant to KKK, it's got **** all to do with it. The chant came out a week after he had a breakdown on the pitch against West ham, we call him Judas who hung himself, people who have breakdowns sometimes hang themselves, ergo this song had a line about hanging. It really is that simple, it's a devious mind that would try to twist it in to something else and give it a racist overtone.

There's been a media campaign perpetuated by the great c@ck himself from the day he signed for them that we somehow only hate him because he's black. The lie doesn't need to be maintained by spurs fans.

Andros has had more shots on goal than any other player in the league so far this season. Now that Andros has scored for England I hope he has got that monkey off his back and will start scoring goals for us now

Last edited:

not even close. he is right though, why should he make the connection of monkey to black man. (i think he is lieing there btw but he is right in that it shouldnt be automatic)

but i am yet to see him condemn and get irate/ ****ed off at someone for saying that they feel offended by the comments directed at townsend. it just smacks of being from a different reality to the one i have seen which as far as many people of my back ground are concerened.....have experienced also.

maybe thats it, maybe its an enviroment thing?

one thing i wont accept....is that someone should be victimised for finding it offensive

Isn't he saying that whoever leaked this story saying that they felt offended demeaned anti-racism campaigners? Isn't that pretty condemning? Yes, more of their actions than their feelings, but those are pretty strong words.

I suppose we're reading it differently.

There probably are environmental differences. Generally someone that have felt racism up close will probably be more sensitive towards something like this than someone who hasn't. Seems likely to me that this is likely to be true about people that have been victims of any kinds of bigoted abuse, be it racial, religious, gender, lifestyle, sexual orientation or whatever.

The people who make the connection are the people who, if anyone can be called a racist, can be called a racist. Its the mere fact youre even considering the possibility as in your own mind YOURE the one making the connection.

(Thats not to say you are a racist but if the media and everyone else is even stooping to this level then why the **** not)

The sad thing is that its 2013 and people are still discussing **** like this. This is the kind of a thing a kid would class as racist at school.

Andros has had more shots on goal than any other player in the league so far this season. Now that Andros has scored for England I hope he has got that monkey off his back and will start scoring goals for us now

Never mind that, it's the astronaut on his back which worries me.

Hold on let me get this straight.

NASA want to send a Monkey and Andros Townsend into space, when there they want Andros to give the Monkey the ball?

Lets hops he doesn't pick up any injuries up there.

this is actually true, completely IMO, weird coming from you. but i dont speak for everyone...and i more than give someone permission to find that offensive...its dangerous landmine ground

Im not sure why it would be weird coming from me, i have always been opposed to racism. You can ask papercut as we grew up in the same area though i think at different times, i grew up and lived among black people who i considered as english as me. One of the happiest developments in football in this country for me has been how the are more black and ethnics at the ground these days as i think it leads to a more balanced society.

That is how i truly think, i also hold strong views that the mass immigration of the last few years has not been good for the country. But that does not mean i think racism is right i do not.

Collymore had it spot on because there have been great advances in our society and we have come a long way and do not want to return to the bad times. But sometimes campaigners do not know when to stop and the next generation of protesters take it to far. This is not so much a problem in the racial awareness movement but a massive problem i feel in the gay rights movement and that peter tatchell(spelling) needs to be told he has won his battles and to go and find a hobby.

Hold on let me get this straight.

NASA want to send a Monkey and Andros Townsend into space, when there they want Andros to give the Monkey the ball?

Lets hops he doesn't pick up any injuries up there.

The most curious part of all this to me is what sort of coach hodgson is, the gist of this long winded story was that he wanted smalling to pass to townsend as he was our main threat.

I was hoping that the coach in the weeks between international games might take time to visit universities and learn about how is the best way to get a message across to his staff in the shortest space of time while encouraging them. Telling a **** joke is not what i thought the best way would be, we won so i guess people will say it does not matter.

But in the world cup we will face tougher teams and have more things going wrong at half time and he will be under pressure to impart several pieces of key information to the team in a 15 minute period, probably less due to the time the team takes to get to the dressing room and take on drinks and get quick massages.

Sun reporter who broke the story has just said on TalkSport that according to the unnamed player he got his story from, the manner in which Hodgson put across the line about the astronaut was much more offensive in tone than has been reported and that despite his tweet today Andros was upset at the time. Also, such was Hodgson's manner it caused raised eyebrows amongst several other England players.

Reporter claimed the player also gave him other damning stuff about Hodgson which was held back because it would have meant revealing his identity.

I don't care for Jason Cundy's attitude at times but the ferocious way he challenged the Sun reporter made for brilliant radio.

Can you imagine Alex Ferguson telling a lame joke at half time in an important game still at 0-0.
If anything Hodgson should be sacked for that really.

It would be ridiculous if Hodgson was sacked for a 'racist' incident when he already done much worse in breaking apartheid and playing in South Africa during the ban.

Henry Winter made this argument today. 'I'm not saying the comment was bad, but the fact that he used a joke to make a point in a team talk is!' trying desperately to appear relevant to the days' news by clinging on to whatever part of the story he could.

Roy told a joke at half time of a big match, and we ran out in the end comfortable winners with most of the country acknowledging it was some of the most exciting football we've played for a couple of years.

The joke may have calmed the players down, it may have given some of them a laugh, it may have been that they weren't listening because they were too busy thinking about other things. It probably had little to no impact. Unbelievable that a story got made out of it.

I genuinely despair for the world we live in.

Sun reporter who broke the story has just said on TalkSport that according to the unnamed player he got his story from, the manner in which Hodgson put across the line about the astronaut was much more offensive in tone than has been reported and that despite his tweet today Andros was upset at the time. Also, such was Hodgson's manner it caused raised eyebrows amongst several other England players.

Reporter claimed the player also gave him other damning stuff about Hodgson which was held back because it would have meant revealing his identity.

I don't care for Jason Cundy's attitude at times but the ferocious way he challenged the Sun reporter made for brilliant radio.

This player is a **** then. For goodness sake what does he honestly think will happen? He isn't playing much under the current manager so he makes mountains out of the thinnest ground imaginable, watches the England manager that has just delivered qualification get the sack and then jumps back into the team? I bet the rest of the squad would love that!

In a way for The Sun to still be trying to cling to this story means they must have had someone come to them. But I just can't imagine what player was so stupid that they would do something like this? Surely Defoe is too clever for it?

Back