• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

from what ive seen during games, AVB tends to consult his Portugeezer mate rather than Freund..........Freund just seems to be there. Must be sh!t hot in training i guess

Maybe that's because he's the one in charge of researching opponents and tactical preparation for matches. Freund is more a hands on guy in training, as assistants usually are.

that is just plain and utter nonsense imv - last season, yes, we had a first team that was good enough to compete at that level, which is what we done for 2/3's of the season - this season however we haven't had anything close to that level of quality to field throughout the first team so far and to put that sort of expectation on the manager this early on and then to judge him on not reaching the same heights is insanely harsh. how can you ask AVB to perform to that level when we are missing 6 (SIX) players from last season starting XI ? how can you compare :

__________Friedel
Walker Kaboul Gallas Ekotto
______Parker Modric
Lennon____ VdV_____Bale
________Adebayor

to
________Friedel
Walker Gallas Caulker Vertonghen
_____Sandro Huddelstone
Lennon__Dempsey_____Bale
_________Defoe
?

players in bold are the ones we are missing from last season who are yet to return for any real length of time this season. If you want to start judging AVB on last seasons results can you not at least wait until those players are back from injuries/suspensions so we can make a fair call on how he is performing? how do you reckon our previous manager would have fared if he was missing 6 (SIX) first team player for a run of games ?

____________Friedel
Walker Vertonghen Kaboul Ekotto
____________Parker
_________Sandro Dembele
Lennon_________________Bale
___________Adebayor

anything close to that as a starting XI for us this season, imo will see us pick up plenty of points and improve dramatically in terms of style (although it could well be Defoe up top with Ade and no Parker starting and Lloris in goal)

I agree with the general trust. I would think a more accurate statement would to be say he has a good enough squad to be doing better than 8th, at this stage. And certainly has a good enough squad for us to be producing better performances because we are lucky to be even 8th on that evidence. This is all things considered. The injuries, the lost of quality and playing a new way. I don't see how this is remotely controversial or getting on his back. It is a mild critic of the results and performances up until now. It doesn't mean I want him sacked or that I don't think he is still capable of getting improved results and performances. There is plenty of time for that.

I agree with the general trust. I would think a more accurate statement would to be say he has a good enough squad to be doing better than 8th, at this stage. And certainly has a good enough squad for us to be producing better performances because we are lucky to be even 8th on that evidence. This is all things considered. The injuries, the lost of quality and playing a new way. I don't see how this is remotely controversial or getting on his back. It is a mild critic of the results and performances up until now. It doesn't mean I want him sacked or that I don't think he is still capable of getting improved results and performances. There is plenty of time for that.

id agree we should be doing better than how we are and there have been some very disappointing performances which i don't think anyone on here is trying to avoid. however after a relegation form final 3rd of last season, the loss of key players to how we play as a team over the summer, the arrival of a new coaching staff and several new players late in to the window as well as injuries to key players all adds up to a set of circumstances which at the very least offers some kind of explanation as to why we have found it hard so far this season.

Gone for our most physical players today to combat West Ham. People will still find faults I guess.

AVB has proved he is seeing what we are, dropping Gallas today who has been poor recently shows his not bothered about reputations its about form.

fair play to AVB

exactly, i'm not sure it was just a response to gallas's form though, maybe he just wanted a good old fashioned english cb to deal with a good old fashioned english cf, whatever his thinking it worked a treat

Liverpool will be a completely different challenge. I would expect a couple of changes, but never change a winning team they say. Never agreed with it myself.

id agree we should be doing better than how we are and there have been some very disappointing performances which i don't think anyone on here is trying to avoid. however after a relegation form final 3rd of last season, the loss of key players to how we play as a team over the summer, the arrival of a new coaching staff and several new players late in to the window as well as injuries to key players all adds up to a set of circumstances which at the very least offers some kind of explanation as to why we have found it hard so far this season.

Or it could be the new manager has made a few mistakes and is quite inexperienced. Just as some people in here are accusing some of finding any excuse to moan, quite a lot are finding any excuse to shift the blame. Still, its never been the case Levy accepts these kind of excuses and I dont expect him to start now. So as far as I'm concerned this indifferent AVB start will count against him and Levy is adjusting no time for his age/system/project etc, meaning he needs a really good spell for the next few months...

...and today was quite good. Team line up was decent (playing 2 players who he tried to sell as well, so learning from his mistakes) and performance started slow but got better. Our points total isnt too far off par, so hopefully a good run of results and performances has started today.

Lo and behold, he gets the team selection correct and we win the game. Who'd have thought it eh?

We've all been able to see that Gallas is way past it for a long time now except AVB. Today he finally saw sense and started Dawson - a particularly smart thing to do given that Dawson is the best defender we have at attacking high balls, which West Ham were obviously going to throw lots of at us. Dawson shat on even Carroll in the air which was great to see. And I worried that, despite Lloris' good form, he'd go back to Friedel today, which would have been a disaster considering how Brad likes to stay on his line when those balls come in. Instead, we had correctly had Lloris, who was quick off his line, quick to deal with loose balls in our box and made one top save in the second half.

Tactics were correct today for the first time in fudging ages, and we get a win for the first time in fudging ages. I just hope that AVB understood the reasons why it all worked and that he can learn from his mistakes. My only gripe with him today was the fact that it took him so late on in the game to make his first substitution with a game taking place on Wednesday. He also left Defoe on for too long IMO - I know he wanted his hat-trick but he almost got sent off and if we'd had both strikers suspended for Wednesday we'd have been fudged!

i do think he got it spot on, not for the first time this season it must be said, but lets not all start sucking each others dingdongs just yet, we were playing west ham today, we could have started both Lloris and Friedel, up front, put Lennon in goal, and we'd have still won the game comfortably

Lo and behold, he gets the team selection correct and we win the game. Who'd have thought it eh?

We've all been able to see that Gallas is way past it for a long time now except AVB. Today he finally saw sense and started Dawson - a particularly smart thing to do given that Dawson is the best defender we have at attacking high balls, which West Ham were obviously going to throw lots of at us. Dawson shat on even Carroll in the air which was great to see. And I worried that, despite Lloris' good form, he'd go back to Friedel today, which would have been a disaster considering how Brad likes to stay on his line when those balls come in. Instead, we had correctly had Lloris, who was quick off his line, quick to deal with loose balls in our box and made one top save in the second half.

Tactics were correct today for the first time in fudging ages, and we get a win for the first time in fudging ages. I just hope that AVB understood the reasons why it all worked and that he can learn from his mistakes. My only gripe with him today was the fact that it took him so late on in the game to make his first substitution with a game taking place on Wednesday. He also left Defoe on for too long IMO - I know he wanted his hat-trick but he almost got sent off and if we'd had both strikers suspended for Wednesday we'd have been fudged!

I'm sorry mate, but when you say things like this, it just highlights how little some fans know about football, squads, clubs and all the various ingredients which go into making a manager and coach. Do you genuinely believe that a man who works with the players every single day, who is first into the training ground and last out, who spends hours upon hours studying EVERY ASPECT of this club knows LESS about it than you? Come on...

Anyone see the alternative table on motd2? I think we were around 7th in terms of passing accuracy. Manu top. I wish we would improve our passing game. We have such good dribblers at the moment, just need the passing game to compliment.

Anyone see the alternative table on motd2? I think we were around 7th in terms of passing accuracy. Manu top. I wish we would improve our passing game. We have such good dribblers at the moment, just need the passing game to compliment.

Amusingly passing isn't just about passing.

It's also about positioning and movement, i think it's more these that we are currently lacking, but they seemed to be coming together today.

I'm sorry mate, but when you say things like this, it just highlights how little some fans know about football, squads, clubs and all the various ingredients which go into making a manager and coach. Do you genuinely believe that a man who works with the players every single day, who is first into the training ground and last out, who spends hours upon hours studying EVERY ASPECT of this club knows LESS about it than you? Come on...

Years of interaction with many football fans has sadly shown me that a lot of them are arrogant enough to believe that they know more than actual professionals who devote their working life to the industry. And that they can also see things which experienced coaches, players and managers cannot. Despite these fans being utterly oblivious to the contents of, say, training sessions and private conversations held between managers and players.

Amusingly passing isn't just about passing.

It's also about positioning and movement, i think it's more these that we are currently lacking, but they seemed to be coming together today.

Its a good point.
We don't often see triangles of Spurs players. With a good pass and move game the whole team can move as a unit up the field then start executing passes in and around the box to create chances - would be another string to our bow.

Thing is Steff even you would agree the Lloris vs Friedal thing was a debacle (and I like Friedel) and many of us have been saying for weeks that Daws is the best defender we have at the club. Without a doubt AVB has made a mistakes. You have said yourself that you sensed a change in AVB during the Arsenal game. Perhaps it is a case of AVB failing to see the wood from trees as the old saying goes. Of course it could be that next week we are discussing a dissapointing result vs the scousers and we want to revert to Gallas and Friedel.

Back