• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Well played to AVB today=D>

Team selection? Spot on
Tactics? Spot on
Attacking play? Spot on

Let's hope we can do what not many have done on Wedneday: beat Liverpool,

COYS

Thing is Steff even you would agree the Lloris vs Friedal thing was a debacle (and I like Friedel) and many of us have been saying for weeks that Daws is the best defender we have at the club. Without a doubt AVB has made a mistakes. You have said yourself that you sensed a change in AVB during the Arsenal game. Perhaps it is a case of AVB failing to see the wood from trees as the old saying goes. Of course it could be that next week we are discussing a dissapointing result vs the scousers and we want to revert to Gallas and Friedel.

Tbf, I think he is using Dawson in the right games, today - against an attack that lacked pace, a midfield that lacked pace and movement, and a striker who is very good in the iar and who Dawson usually dominates - being a classic example of such.

It will be a different kettle of fish when we play a team with good pacy runners from the middle and attackers gthat are far more pacy AND mobile. It's not a given that Dawson should start every week, but he is genrally using Dawson wisely imo.

Thing is Steff even you would agree the Lloris vs Friedal thing was a debacle (and I like Friedel) and many of us have been saying for weeks that Daws is the best defender we have at the club. Without a doubt AVB has made a mistakes. You have said yourself that you sensed a change in AVB during the Arsenal game. Perhaps it is a case of AVB failing to see the wood from trees as the old saying goes. Of course it could be that next week we are discussing a dissapointing result vs the scousers and we want to revert to Gallas and Friedel.

The Lloris Friedel thing was perfectly handled imo.

Nobody has been saying Daws is the best defender at the club, just that he might be better than gallas has been.

Of course AVB has made mistakes, you won't find a manager who hasn't.

The final part is true, that's more due to how fickle fans can be. Though it usually takes more than 1 game out for player 'x' to suddenly become the saviour.

I think he played the Lloris/Friedel thing perfectly to be fair. Lloris is the man, he gave him time to know what he was stepping into whilst at the same time not simply throwing Brad under the bus. Of course AVB has made mistakes, all managers do. I think AVB and the club will have used last weekend as a catalyst; we would've won that game, and I think it really really hurt them all. As it should. But such is their support for what's going on, I feel they decided to come together and fight as a unit rather than fall apart. There will be more disappointments I'm sure, but the bloke has had us on the right track since he arrived IMO.

This seemed to be the best place to put this...

[h=1]21-year-old with 10 years’ Football Manager experience becomes manager at FC Baku[/h]22.11.2012
[h=5]Share:[/h]

football-manager-2013-616x350.jpg
21-year-old with 10 years’ Football Manager experience becomes manager at FC Baku

Football Manager players the world over rejoice: the hours spent toiling away at the computer trying to get Accrington Stanley to the Champions League may yet see you land that dream job some day.
Vugar Huseynzade was born in Azerbaijan’s capital city of Baku, studied business management at university in the US, and previously worked as a scout at sports consultancy Sport Business Nordic (SBN) in Stockholm, Sweden. Following a chance meeting at a hotel in Lithuania, Huseynzade got talking to the vice-president of FC Baku, an Azerbaijani Premier League club currently wavering above the relegation zone.
The chat proved fruitful for Huseynzade, who eventually left Stockholm for Baku to work as an assistant to the vice-president. He has worked as an adviser to the club since February of this year, and this month was promoted to manager of FC Baku’s A team (equivalent to reserve team manager).
How did a 21-year-old with no managerial experience come to win such a role? Through playing Football Manager, of course.
[h=3]10 years of virtual experience[/h]Swedish tabloid newspaper Aftonbladet reports that Huseynzade beat off competition from others with real-world management experience, notably Jean-Pierre Papin, a former professional footballer who has managed a number of teams in France. Papin is still expected to be offered a higher position at the club.
While Huseynzade made contacts in Russia, Ukraine and Azerbaijan during his time with SBN, his only experience with managing a football team is based in virtual reality.
“I’ve always wanted to work in football and have played Football Manager since 2002,” Huseynzade told the Scandinavian newspaper.
Huseynzade’s gaming experience has given him confidence, it seems, and he says he wants to help bring the team to the Europa League.
[h=3]Undoubted talent[/h]Citing Football Manager experience in an application to become a real-life football manager has become a long-standing joke since John Boileau’s famous letter to Middlesborough chairman Steve Gibson back in 2006, to which a good-humoured Gibson politely responded, declining his application on the grounds that European clubs would soon try to steal him away based on his “undoubted talent”.
Now, though, the dream has become reality, and Football Manager players everywhere can aspire to follow in Huseynzade’s footsteps. (Any excuse to play for another few hours, eh?)

Amusingly passing isn't just about passing.

It's also about positioning and movement, i think it's more these that we are currently lacking, but they seemed to be coming together today.

I have been saying this same exact thing myself for ages. IMO Lennon is one of the worst at this. It is one of the reasons Walker's distribution is so poor. Lennon's positioning (he seems to just stand next to the defender) and his running off the ball is often non existent. When he does it, (like yesterday and against Reading) he can be devastating. I really think he needs to work on this aspect of his game. If we can get our right side working as effectively as our left side, we would really take some stopping.

The goalkeeping was handled very well IMO, I thought Lloris could have been put in a bit earlier but looking back at it, AVB has played it well. Goalkeepers coming from other leagues are notorious for starting a bit more slowly, taking a while to adapt, and there's no telling what a mistake leading to a goal would have done to his confidence. The way he did it, he let everyone in the squad know they have a place in the team, no matter their age or transfer fee, and it keeps everyone motivated, everyone working hard because they need to be able to perform when called upon. He's also handled the transition to a new playing style a bit more slowly, and do keeping Friedel in while we were keeping a bit more in touch with last season made a bit of sense. Now though, Lloris is in, he has the confidence because he knows he is adding positively to the team, people actively want to see him play and he is eager to perform, rather than feeling the pressure of being a new signing in goal in a new league. And we are now playing a style that more suits what AVB is going for, and that will allow Lloris to play to his strengths. Very well handled all around.

As for Dawson, I don't think he is the best defender at the club at all, and he will probably end up at QPR which tells you a lot about where he is rated overall in the game. A good player, and good for situations like today, but I haven't had a problem with him putting Gallas on the pitch - it's important to have leaders in the team, and it's also important to keep an experienced guy like him feeling like he has something to contribute, because we don't want anyone moping around the club without much to do and just collecting a paycheque. AVB is fostering an ethos where everyone is involved, and he is building a team in a very intelligent way. I'm not sure I'd keep Dawson in for the Liverpool game, because it will be harder for him to play to his strengths as Liverpool will keep it on the floor. I'd be tempted to go with Caulker and Verts in the middle with Naughton on the left. Also don't fancy Jan's pace against Sterling, and I think he's looked a bit off colour lately so bringing Gallas back in to partner Caulker and giving Verts a rest wouldn't be a terrible thing IMO. Gallas' anticipation should play well.

Great moves from AVB yesterday, we are really now moving towards the style he wants. We were pressing high, we were passing with tempo and purpose, and it's good to see Dempsey play well even though playing off of Defoe. Also good to see Lennon have a good game and showing that he can have an impact even though he isn't a typical goalscoring wide-forward like Bale can be.

I have been saying this same exact thing myself for ages. IMO Lennon is one of the worst at this. It is one of the reasons Walker's distribution is so poor. Lennon's positioning (he seems to just stand next to the defender) and his running off the ball is often non existent. When he does it, (like yesterday and against Reading) he can be devastating. I really think he needs to work on this aspect of his game. If we can get our right side working as effectively as our left side, we would really take some stopping.

Unfortunately most of Walker's poor passing are simple passes, usually infield. The receiving player is usually in the right place. I think we may just have to accept that Walker isn't a very good passer of the ball.

What you mean like when we had Corluka there? Corluka and Lennon worked really well together.

Years of interaction with many football fans has sadly shown me that a lot of them are arrogant enough to believe that they know more than actual professionals who devote their working life to the industry. And that they can also see things which experienced coaches, players and managers cannot. Despite these fans being utterly oblivious to the contents of, say, training sessions and private conversations held between managers and players.

To many of them think playing on FIFA, X-box and the like and winning makes them experts.

To many of them think playing on FIFA, X-box and the like and winning makes them experts.

I'd assume the sheer number of fans is what makes the difference.

If there is only 1 manager and millions of fans it's pretty much easy to realise that some fans will see things the manager does not.

If there is only 1 manager and millions of fans it's pretty much easy to realise that some fans will see things the manager does not.

And they think that football is as easy in the REAL world as it is on computer games.

Not if they don't know what to look for, or don't know the tactical plan, or don't know what's been going on in training that week, or don't know which instructions from the coaches certain players are following.

Not if they don't know what to look for, or don't know the tactical plan, or don't know what's been going on in training that week, or don't know which instructions from the coaches certain players are following.

Not really. Some fans will by probability come to the right conclusions, however the reasoning they use to get there might be faulty.

Not really. Some fans will by probability come to the right conclusions, however the reasoning they use to get there might be faulty.

I don't think we have any idea to be honest. We can have a general idea about broad things, and we can pretty well describe what is happening in a game. We can maybe identify the broad tactical plan (for instance yesterday even as fans we can say that we were pressing all over the pitch rather than sitting off) but in terms of seeing things that AVB, or any manager, wouldn't be aware of and using statements like 'I hope AVB realised the reasons as to why it worked yesterday'...nope, that's just ridiculous.

The goalkeeping was handled very well IMO, I thought Lloris could have been put in a bit earlier but looking back at it, AVB has played it well. Goalkeepers coming from other leagues are notorious for starting a bit more slowly, taking a while to adapt, and there's no telling what a mistake leading to a goal would have done to his confidence. The way he did it, he let everyone in the squad know they have a place in the team, no matter their age or transfer fee, and it keeps everyone motivated, everyone working hard because they need to be able to perform when called upon. He's also handled the transition to a new playing style a bit more slowly, and do keeping Friedel in while we were keeping a bit more in touch with last season made a bit of sense. Now though, Lloris is in, he has the confidence because he knows he is adding positively to the team, people actively want to see him play and he is eager to perform, rather than feeling the pressure of being a new signing in goal in a new league. And we are now playing a style that more suits what AVB is going for, and that will allow Lloris to play to his strengths. Very well handled all around.

As for Dawson, I don't think he is the best defender at the club at all, and he will probably end up at QPR which tells you a lot about where he is rated overall in the game. A good player, and good for situations like today, but I haven't had a problem with him putting Gallas on the pitch - it's important to have leaders in the team, and it's also important to keep an experienced guy like him feeling like he has something to contribute, because we don't want anyone moping around the club without much to do and just collecting a paycheque. AVB is fostering an ethos where everyone is involved, and he is building a team in a very intelligent way. I'm not sure I'd keep Dawson in for the Liverpool game, because it will be harder for him to play to his strengths as Liverpool will keep it on the floor. I'd be tempted to go with Caulker and Verts in the middle with Naughton on the left. Also don't fancy Jan's pace against Sterling, and I think he's looked a bit off colour lately so bringing Gallas back in to partner Caulker and giving Verts a rest wouldn't be a terrible thing IMO. Gallas' anticipation should play well.

Great moves from AVB yesterday, we are really now moving towards the style he wants. We were pressing high, we were passing with tempo and purpose, and it's good to see Dempsey play well even though playing off of Defoe. Also good to see Lennon have a good game and showing that he can have an impact even though he isn't a typical goalscoring wide-forward like Bale can be.

HENCE it is a squad game. Not every player will be suitable for EVERY game. You play a team suited to the strengths of the opposition (where defense is concerned). You keep players at the club who will HELP win games. In my view people on here go around wanting to sell every tom dingdong and harry without first thinking that its a squad game. Sell Thudd he is useless - no he isnt - he is suitable for certain games and not suitable for others. The same goes for Dawson. The same goes for Defoe. Yet people just want to sell sell sell.

Its not aimed at you by the way.

Some of you have questioned my viewpoint that fans can see things that the manager can't as naive. I mean, how can somebody possibly be able to see something that a professional who actually does it for a living can't? Only an idiot who plays Football Manager could think that.

Except that argument falls flat on its face for two key reasons. Firstly, because if that were true then the entire management consultancy industry wouldn't exist. Sometimes, a fresh pair of eyes looking at things from the outside, without preconceptions and other factors that distort peoples perceptions of things, you can actually spot an awful lot. And secondly, because it assumes that this professional is actually good at their job. How many times have you seen on The Apprentice where the accountant fudges up the figures, or the salesman gets outsold by somebody who doesn't work in sales. Now obviously I can't claim to know more about electronics than a professional electrical engineer, but football management is an art not a science. There's no school to learn about this sort of stuff. You just go in, do what you think works based on your experiences and understanding of football and people, and try to be better at it than anyone else.

I know that football managers do a phenomenal amount of work outside of matches. Training, youth development, board meetings etc. But there are plenty of examples of somebody who was living and breathing this stuff not spotting the obvious for one reason or another. When Arnesen signed Carrick for us instead of Jan Koller who Santini had wanted, Santini described him as a "5th choice defensive midfielder", behind Pedro Mendes, Sean Davis, Michael Brown...and of course Jamie Redknapp. Santini's Spurs team really struggled to create chances - we had scored just 6 goals in 11 league games when he left. I wasn't the only common fan who could see we were making a big mistake in not playing him. When Santini resigned, we replaced him with a manager who realised that he had on his hands the most talented central midfielder we'd had since Gascoigne. His first move was to build his team around him, and hey presto, we became a team playing attractive, possession based attacking football, and a team that hadn't even finished in the top 8 for a decade challenged for a Champions League spot the following season. We'll never know Santini's reasons for not rating Carrick - probably because he heard he was a defensive midfielder, thought he was too scrawny to be your Roy Keane type and resented the fact that he was there, which blinded him to Carrick's true qualities. But it's a clear example of a manager, who saw more of the inside of our football club than any of us ever did, of not being able to see something us common fans could, for one reason or another.

Another example is Glenn Hoddle's use of the 3-5-2 formation. It's something that worked well in his early years as a manager, however it fell out of mainstream use as 4-3-3 became prominent. Reason being - if the opposition has wing forwards, your wing-backs are the ones who need to mark them, but if they are pinned back by marking the wing forwards, you have no width to support your attacking play. If they go forward, like Hoddle wanted them to, you get horrifically exposed down the flanks. The formation also requires a defensive midfielder to work, which we didn't have, and didn't sign. When we were regularly getting spanked in the latter part of Hoddle's reign, this was obvious to many a fan, but he never changed his ways, and it cost him his job. Pleat came in, and made a load of mistakes of his own (Poyet and Anderton in central midfield FFS!), but he picked a stable formation and signed Michael Brown to cover the gaps, and he managed to keep us up. Did Hoddle learn his lesson? No, he persisted with the formation at Wolves and got sacked from there too. Again - common fans could see this brick, the professional couldn't.

As for AVB, sure, he sees things we don't inside the club. But, he's made undeniable mistakes this season, that were clearly and obviously wrong. I'm pretty sure the reason he's picked Gallas so much is because he was a big personality in the dressing room and on the training ground - an inspiration to the younger players. Now we as fans don't see that side of things. What I have been able to judge him on is purely what we see on the pitch, which at the end of the day, is all that really matters. And what have we seen from Gallas this season? Slow, cumbersome displays, panicky clearances and a complete lack of composure. He was a top defender in his time, but I just don't see how it took people so long to realise that he's finished at this level. I remember reading once, I think Shearer said it, that Shola Ameobi was Saudi Sportswashing Machine's best player in training. Well guess what happened when it got to the actual matches. Regardless of his logic and reasonings, surely everyone can see that he's made some big big mistakes this season, mistakes that lots of common fans would not have made.

But hey, if you'd like to subscribe to the school of thought that all football managers are geniuses and that us common fans can never spot things that they can, then fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion and all, I just wonder why exactly you would post on a message board if us mere mortals don't know a thing?

Some of you have questioned my viewpoint that fans can see things that the manager can't as naive. I mean, how can somebody possibly be able to see something that a professional who actually does it for a living can't? Only an idiot who plays Football Manager could think that.

Except that argument falls flat on its face for two key reasons. Firstly, because if that were true then the entire management consultancy industry wouldn't exist. Sometimes, a fresh pair of eyes looking at things from the outside, without preconceptions and other factors that distort peoples perceptions of things, you can actually spot an awful lot. And secondly, because it assumes that this professional is actually good at their job. How many times have you seen on The Apprentice where the accountant fudges up the figures, or the salesman gets outsold by somebody who doesn't work in sales. Now obviously I can't claim to know more about electronics than a professional electrical engineer, but football management is an art not a science. There's no school to learn about this sort of stuff. You just go in, do what you think works based on your experiences and understanding of football and people, and try to be better at it than anyone else.

I know that football managers do a phenomenal amount of work outside of matches. Training, youth development, board meetings etc. But there are plenty of examples of somebody who was living and breathing this stuff not spotting the obvious for one reason or another. When Arnesen signed Carrick for us instead of Jan Koller who Santini had wanted, Santini described him as a "5th choice defensive midfielder", behind Pedro Mendes, Sean Davis, Michael Brown...and of course Jamie Redknapp. Santini's Spurs team really struggled to create chances - we had scored just 6 goals in 11 league games when he left. I wasn't the only common fan who could see we were making a big mistake in not playing him. When Santini resigned, we replaced him with a manager who realised that he had on his hands the most talented central midfielder we'd had since Gascoigne. His first move was to build his team around him, and hey presto, we became a team playing attractive, possession based attacking football, and a team that hadn't even finished in the top 8 for a decade challenged for a Champions League spot the following season. We'll never know Santini's reasons for not rating Carrick - probably because he heard he was a defensive midfielder, thought he was too scrawny to be your Roy Keane type and resented the fact that he was there, which blinded him to Carrick's true qualities. But it's a clear example of a manager, who saw more of the inside of our football club than any of us ever did, of not being able to see something us common fans could, for one reason or another.

Another example is Glenn Hoddle's use of the 3-5-2 formation. It's something that worked well in his early years as a manager, however it fell out of mainstream use as 4-3-3 became prominent. Reason being - if the opposition has wing forwards, your wing-backs are the ones who need to mark them, but if they are pinned back by marking the wing forwards, you have no width to support your attacking play. If they go forward, like Hoddle wanted them to, you get horrifically exposed down the flanks. The formation also requires a defensive midfielder to work, which we didn't have, and didn't sign. When we were regularly getting spanked in the latter part of Hoddle's reign, this was obvious to many a fan, but he never changed his ways, and it cost him his job. Pleat came in, and made a load of mistakes of his own (Poyet and Anderton in central midfield FFS!), but he picked a stable formation and signed Michael Brown to cover the gaps, and he managed to keep us up. Did Hoddle learn his lesson? No, he persisted with the formation at Wolves and got sacked from there too. Again - common fans could see this brick, the professional couldn't.

As for AVB, sure, he sees things we don't inside the club. But, he's made undeniable mistakes this season, that were clearly and obviously wrong. I'm pretty sure the reason he's picked Gallas so much is because he was a big personality in the dressing room and on the training ground - an inspiration to the younger players. Now we as fans don't see that side of things. What I have been able to judge him on is purely what we see on the pitch, which at the end of the day, is all that really matters. And what have we seen from Gallas this season? Slow, cumbersome displays, panicky clearances and a complete lack of composure. He was a top defender in his time, but I just don't see how it took people so long to realise that he's finished at this level. I remember reading once, I think Shearer said it, that Shola Ameobi was Saudi Sportswashing Machine's best player in training. Well guess what happened when it got to the actual matches. Regardless of his logic and reasonings, surely everyone can see that he's made some big big mistakes this season, mistakes that lots of common fans would not have made.

But hey, if you'd like to subscribe to the school of thought that all football managers are geniuses and that us common fans can never spot things that they can, then fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion and all, I just wonder why exactly you would post on a message board if us mere mortals don't know a thing?

Personally, it was the absolute complete and utter belief on your part that AVB (and the club) have been making obvious mistakes for the season which run wrong. It accounts for so little about what you don't know with regards to the inner-workings of the club? Your detailing of the Carrick/Santini/Arnesen thing answers your own comments; he wasn't Santini's signing, Santini was always on thin ice from the first week, it was a power struggle, simple. As for Hoddle's 3 at the back, if Ziege had stayed fit and Ferdinand hadn't managed to miss a hatful of sitters in the LCF, it might well have found itself. We will never know.

Of course I don't subscribe to a school of thought which says 'all managers are football geniuses' but I DO subscribe to the theories of context, situation, detail and factors we cannot know. Like it or not (and hey, you can join the masses in writing the geezer off) AVB has WON SILVERWARE, including a European trophy.

By the way, a final note on Carrick...Sir Alex Ferguson turned him into a sitting/holding midfielder and has used him as a CB from time to time when pressed. Has he made a mistake?

P.S. BTW, apologies if my initial post had seemed a bit rude/dismissive. I realized that soon after I'd posted, so again, apologies if it came across like that.

Some say how can somebody possibly be able to see something that a professional who actually does it for a living can't? Only an idiot who plays Football Manager could think that.

That argument falls flat on its face for two key reasons. Firstly, because if that were true then the entire management consultancy industry wouldn't exist. Sometimes, a fresh pair of eyes looking at things from the outside, without preconceptions and other factors that distort peoples perceptions of things can actually spot an awful lot. And secondly, because it assumes that this professional is actually good at their job. How many times have you seen on The Apprentice where the accountant fudges up the figures, or the salesman gets outsold by somebody who doesn't work in sales.

An example is Glenn Hoddle's use of the 3-5-2 formation. It's something that worked well in his early years as a manager but we were regularly getting spanked in the latter part of Hoddle's reign, this was obvious to many a fan, but he never changed his ways, and it cost him his job

Did Hoddle learn his lesson? No, he persisted with the formation at Wolves and got sacked from there too. Again - common fans could see this brick, the professional couldn't.

Good post. There are a couple of "old pros" on here who think they know everything but are consistently exposed under the slightest of examinations.

Back