• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Why are people suddenly downplaying our squad after what most Spurs fans proclaimed the best transfer window in years?

We made some good moves, but I think you'll struggle to find anybody that says our squad is better than last year's right now; it was a good window considering what we lost though

MOTD, Harry still says he expects Spurs To finish above Arsenal.
Really wish he'd keep his trap shut on this - putting far too much pressure on us AND motivating the Goons; it's not like he was able to do it himself with a better squad....

he knows exactly what he is saying and by doing so he is putting more pressure on the man who took his job. There are many who think he is stupid but he is and never will be.

Some really deluded people in this thread.

The facts are...

Yes we are weaker than last season (although it didnt have to be that way if AVB had managed to persuade some foreign talent to join rather than good players from small prem teams, something HR was criticised for). But just because we are weaker, it doesnt mean we write off our season. We are still probably in the same position seeing as Arsenal also are weaker and there isnt a squad outside the obvious 4 that is better than ours. Therefore come the end of the season anything outside of the top 5 is failure - it isnt the end of the season yet so its perfectly acceptable to wait and see, but so far we are no on course.

Yes AVB is seen as a longer term project (apparently), but that doesnt mean you have to put up with brick performances week after week. The project is about taking us from consistent 4th/5th to challenging at the very top. The way people are talking here its as if we need to wait 2 years until we can think about getting back to 5th. Any manager brought in for the long term still has to achieve right now to show he is good enough for the long term. If you have a brick manager, the longer you let him run the club the more damage he can do (im not saying AVB is brick btw).

Yes AVB was hired by Levy, but anyone that thinks he cant get sacked this season is a mug. From Xmas onwards Levy will fire him if things get really bad - by this I mean if we lose a load more games, its not possible before xmas as there isnt enough games to lose. Again im not saying this is what will happen, but Levy has proven in the past he acts quick when he thinks things aren't working. Hoddle, Jol and possibly even Ramos were early sackings when a lot of chairmen would have let them have a bit more time. And if he wasn't impressed with what our last 3 managers were doing, why would he be impressed with what AVB is doing if this carries on throughout the season.

Today WAS unlucky for AVB that he lost Adebayor, but it doesn't mean you have to get hammered. Plenty of teams get results with 10 men. It was a chance for him to do something impressive, Arsenal have had their worst start for 31 years so its not like we are playing a top top team. But whereas today you can put the performance down to a bit of bad luck, but to be honest it was just another brick performance to go with many of the others we've put in this season - it cant be down to bad luck every week.

Just because you wanted HR gone, it doesnt mean you have to think AVB is the answer. There is a very blatant correlation between people who hated HR and used every minor fault as a reason to get rid of him, and people who make every little excuse for AVB. Forget the past, lets start talking about what is happening now. So far, really bad performances and a lot of really dodgy results. No point trying to say it any other way. Perfectly acceptable to be saying lets give him more time and see what happens, I wouldnt want to sack AVB anytime soon, but no point in denying the start we have made.

Agree with all of this. Too many players underperforming something is not right with the squad. Injuries have definately not helped however, Lloris/Friedel debacle is astonishing. Lloris did not play well today but he needs a run of games before he can be judged. Not good to chop and change GK in my opinion. Gallas looks shot Dawson should also be playing a run of games. A settled back 4 would help. Hudd needs to up his game significantly and once ADE is back from suspension we need to play 442 until Dembele's back. Dembele WTF is going on? and Why are we still shipping late goals. Rant over

Why are people suddenly downplaying our squad after what most Spurs fans proclaimed the best transfer window in years?
Which fans thought that ? Not me.

Can avb convince levy to part with more money ? Or sell to buy, as long as it's not at a loss ? It's an uphill struggle, hope avb surprises us.

Some really deluded people in this thread.

The facts are...

Yes we are weaker than last season (although it didnt have to be that way if AVB had managed to persuade some foreign talent to join rather than good players from small prem teams, something HR was criticised for). But just because we are weaker, it doesnt mean we write off our season. We are still probably in the same position seeing as Arsenal also are weaker and there isnt a squad outside the obvious 4 that is better than ours. Therefore come the end of the season anything outside of the top 5 is failure - it isnt the end of the season yet so its perfectly acceptable to wait and see, but so far we are no on course.

Yes AVB is seen as a longer term project (apparently), but that doesnt mean you have to put up with brick performances week after week. The project is about taking us from consistent 4th/5th to challenging at the very top. The way people are talking here its as if we need to wait 2 years until we can think about getting back to 5th. Any manager brought in for the long term still has to achieve right now to show he is good enough for the long term. If you have a brick manager, the longer you let him run the club the more damage he can do (im not saying AVB is brick btw).

Yes AVB was hired by Levy, but anyone that thinks he cant get sacked this season is a mug. From Xmas onwards Levy will fire him if things get really bad - by this I mean if we lose a load more games, its not possible before xmas as there isnt enough games to lose. Again im not saying this is what will happen, but Levy has proven in the past he acts quick when he thinks things aren't working. Hoddle, Jol and possibly even Ramos were early sackings when a lot of chairmen would have let them have a bit more time. And if he wasn't impressed with what our last 3 managers were doing, why would he be impressed with what AVB is doing if this carries on throughout the season.

Today WAS unlucky for AVB that he lost Adebayor, but it doesn't mean you have to get hammered. Plenty of teams get results with 10 men. It was a chance for him to do something impressive, Arsenal have had their worst start for 31 years so its not like we are playing a top top team. But whereas today you can put the performance down to a bit of bad luck, but to be honest it was just another brick performance to go with many of the others we've put in this season - it cant be down to bad luck every week.

Just because you wanted HR gone, it doesnt mean you have to think AVB is the answer. There is a very blatant correlation between people who hated HR and used every minor fault as a reason to get rid of him, and people who make every little excuse for AVB. Forget the past, lets start talking about what is happening now. So far, really bad performances and a lot of really dodgy results. No point trying to say it any other way. Perfectly acceptable to be saying lets give him more time and see what happens, I wouldnt want to sack AVB anytime soon, but no point in denying the start we have made.

You undo EVERYTHING with that word...'facts'...no. These are your OPINIONS. Don't dare to dress them up any other way. I don't want a long drawn out exchange, I just want you to use the correct language please.

Funny coz don't remember you backing Redknapp in the same way, whatever your reasons were you were in no way were supportive.
Like any true spurs fan I'm completely behind AVB but all N10's concerns are valid and at the moment there is no reason to think otherwise. AVB is not at all proven in england
and if you are honest there is perhaps more reasons to be worried then not. I liked his decisions today and i give him credit for that the same way i disagreed with them against City, Wigan etc. You however have an agenda.

Accepting it will be difficult and was always gonna be difficult simply because, on the face of it, there was nothin wrong. We go round in circles so won't talk about it as its been done to death but to go from fourth and entertaining football to our current state of transition

I agree it will be difficult but people have to face facts. The balance of the squad is not quite right and we don't have as much depth as last year. The entertainment part I get and accept because I have felt we don't look right in all the home games I have watched but I accept that this season will be a bit topsy turvy if it is for the longer term greater good.

I agree it will be difficult but people have to face facts. The balance of the squad is not quite right and we don't have as much depth as last year. The entertainment part I get and accept because I have felt we don't look right in all the home games I have watched but I accept that this season will be a bit topsy turvy if it is for the longer term greater good.

Yes but there is a limit to this. I'm not even talking top 4 here. But he needs top 6. We are 8th now. We finished 8th in 2009 from a virtual standing start after 8 games, with a hopelessly unbalanced squad for 2/3rds of the season and not much depth either, for that matter. So the excuses can be accepted but only up to a point.

Funny coz don't remember you backing Redknapp in the same way, whatever your reasons were you were in no way were supportive.
Like any true spurs fan I'm completely behind AVB but all N10's concerns are valid and at the moment there is no reason to think otherwise. AVB is not at all proven in england
and if you are honest there is perhaps more reasons to be worried then not. I liked his decisions today and i give him credit for that the same way i disagreed with them against City, Wigan etc. You however have an agenda.

Not worried at all. My agenda is spurs not being managed by a candle faced piece of brick, that's all.

The thing I don't get with AVB is what exactly is his reputation built on? He had one very good season with Porto and forgive me if I am wrong the Portugese league is not the most competitive in the world. He then gets one of the biggest jobs in world football with unlimited amounts of cash. He gets sacked before the season is over. Hardly inspiring stuff. Some people on here seem to highly rate AVB but I just don't understand what they are basing it on. He has made some strange decisions with Spurs and we are having a bad season so far. I still can't get over losing at home to Wigan personally.

His quotes after the game yesterday annoyed me. He was saying what amazing spirit we had etc but from what I was watching we were beaten as soon as ade was sent off. It was so obvious we were going to lose. There is some of the old spurs mentally creeping in where there is no belief. We capitulated in a bad way yesterday. Just because we had a player sent off doesn't automatically mean we should get spanked. Not impressed

The thing I don't get with AVB is what exactly is his reputation built on? He had one very good season with Porto and forgive me if I am wrong the Portugese league is not the most competitive in the world. He then gets one of the biggest jobs in world football with unlimited amounts of cash. He gets sacked before the season is over. Hardly inspiring stuff. Some people on here seem to highly rate AVB but I just don't understand what they are basing it on. He has made some strange decisions with Spurs and we are having a bad season so far. I still can't get over losing at home to Wigan personally.

His quotes after the game yesterday annoyed me. He was saying what amazing spirit we had etc but from what I was watching we were beaten as soon as ade was sent off. It was so obvious we were going to lose. There is some of the old spurs mentally creeping in where there is no belief. We capitulated in a bad way yesterday. Just because we had a player sent off doesn't automatically mean we should get spanked. Not impressed

THIS, THIS, THIS. For too many years going a man down has almost been an excuse to capitulate; only Ramos seemed to have us regularly set-up in a way that we didn't capitulate after going a man down. We were a goal up, and if we were going to lose it should not have automatically have been by such a margin.

Also, AVB's comments about us being control from start to finish (or something like that) was truly baffling. Hopefully there is a misquote somewhere

all this about yesterdays capitulation under AVB.....well, under Redknapp we had 2 famous capitulations, at Utd after being 2-0 up, and against the scum last year again after being 2-0 up. Both times we didnt go down to 10 men early on

its in the Spurs DNA to be brick mentally. I dont think AVB should be blamed for this aspect when its deeply ingrained in the club no matter the players no matter the managers

Back